Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 09:03 AM

270 posts, read 504,825 times

Advertisements

Employers, what do you look for in a potentially good employee? Why don't you hire people who are simply trying to do better for themselves? Why won't you give people a fair chance? From my experience, I've seen that employers are not like my teachers, and why? Why don't you want people to be able to do better?

Here's my perspective.

I'm a student looking for part-time employment while I complete my degree, but I haven't been able to find it. I don't have a very strong work history; I've been fired from almost every job I've ever held, but I've only held a few unskilled jobs during high school and before college. When I present my application and have to explain why I was fired so many times, I can't come up with a suitable answer, although since I wasn't under contract, my employers could legally fire me for any reason. I don't have a criminal record, misdemenor, or anything. I guess they just don't see me as reliable. It's quite frustrating. I feel like I could be a very good employee if given the chance and training.

Also, most of the people I've worked for don't treat their employees as equals. After I'm hired, I find myself afraid of them. I usually don't report mistakes for fear of being fired or being thought of as incompetent. I guess hiding things makes them think that I'm untrustworthy, but why can't they put themselves in my position? If I want a job, I certainly don't want to lose it. Also, my coworkers aren't usually supportive. In the past I've been suspicious of them, because they usually blame new workers for their mistakes and make fun of them. I was the butt of so many jokes. Why don't employers pay attention to harrassment in the workplace before they just decide to fire decent people who might really need a job? Who are these people, and why don't they care about other people? I guess it makes sense to mention that most of my poor work history comes from food service positions. Maybe they are more apathetic about their employees. I don't know.

I just know that it's easier for some people to get a job and work, while it's a struggle for others, and it's not because we're lazy. It's because of the system and other things. For instance, why do I need to take a personality inventory to get a job? Won't they train me for the job, and shouldn't that be enough? Who knows what to do on the job if he or she has limited work experience, anyway? No, I guess there are certain types of people who know how to play the system, and then there are the honest, hard-working, intelligent ones who are a little shy and don't understand the system.

Also, sorry if I sound like a troll. This is directed somewhat at the people who fired me and also to the ones who treat their loyal employees like worthless slaves.

Last edited by surburbangirlie; 12-29-2010 at 09:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 10:08 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,386,950 times
It seems you've experienced bad luck, and have been in hostile work environments.

I think, from reading your post, you should learn from your mistakes, and what causes them and how you can prevent them from occurring in future.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:35 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,203,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosabouttown View Post
Why don't you hire people who are simply trying to do better for themselves? Why won't you give people a fair chance?
It is in the best interest of an employer to hire the best candidate for the job, based on all the information they can gather about applicants and how it fits with the organization and requirements of the position. While it would certainly be a nice gesture to hire someone because they are simply trying to do better for themselves and I don't doubt it has happened, that usually isn't a strong reason to commit to hiring someone.

Good luck, keep trying, something will work out for you.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:46 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,244,197 times
When I screen applicants I look for skills that match the position and solid work history before any other things. If you do not have the skills or can't hold down a job your resume goes right into the trash.

There are hundreds of applicants for every position these days. Employers do not care if you are trying to better yourself, and they should not. They care about finding the best person for job. They do do not want to train someone, they want someone who already knows the position. It is a rare thing indeed to find an employer willing to train someone these days.

If you feel you are being harassed you need to report it. If you feel like you are being harassed at every job you are most likely too sensitive.

Hiding mistakes? Really?

You need to accept the fact that school is NOTHING like the real world. Employers are not like teachers because they are not teachers.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:56 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,486,011 times
Sadly, employers these days don't care if you're trying to better yourself. It's all about bettering their bottom line.

Employers are not like teachers - you are correct. They are not even close.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:02 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,386,950 times
I would say you should never hide mistakes in the workplace. And it could be argued no matter how big it is. firstly, it shows to others a lack of responsibility, and also a lack of integrity, which can be fatal in dealing with co-workers/bosses.

Secondly, I concur with the other comments. I think that employers largely look for a best fit in terms of the new position, whether from impressions gained in the resourcing/recruitment and selection process, or via past work history.

I would re-iterate pinpointing what causes your mistakes, and find a way to alleviate, mitigate or eradicate it if needs be.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:12 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,127,505 times
Since you're a student looking for part time employment, look for something that is more internship related to your major.
Also, you may try just leaving out the experience altogether and look for temporary employment in the clerical field or light industrial while you are in between semesters. I did a ton of a few day conventions where they needed temporary help for a conference coming into town. Anything from registering folks to stuffing attendee packets. I loved doing the conferences; they were fun and the money was nice too!
It is much easier to try to acquire some work experience before graduating that complete a degree and have no experience.
Most of all, chin up, smile, positive attitude and ask questions!

Old 12-29-2010, 08:21 PM

7 posts, read 23,744 times
As skeet09 has said, you should just leave that experience out. It won't help you in any way if the new employer decides to contact your former employers.

From my personal experience, when you are new, your co-workers may see you as a threat. They don't know what's on your mind, so they'll try different things to find out - jokes, etc... It happens everywhere. They are not necessarily mean, they may be concerned about their own jobs - especially if you are a good worker.

The best work environment I've seen was when I was an intern. Everyone knew I would leave after 3 months. No one saw me as a threat to them and treated me well

Old 12-29-2010, 09:50 PM

270 posts, read 504,825 times
Yeah, that's my experience as well. I've worked a few volunteer positions since I've been in college, and they do treat you a lot better when they don't have to pay you, too. I've only had trouble with the paid work experience. I thought about perhaps trying to go into business for myself while I was in college, but that's not easy. Plus, my customers would perhaps be kind of like my employers. They could sue me if I did enough things wrong or refuse to pay me and tell others about what a horrible service provider I am. Plus, it seems like you do better making money if you have money.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:14 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,028,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosabouttown View Post

I've been fired from almost every job I've ever held, but I've only held a few unskilled jobs during high school and before college.

What was the reason given for your firings and how many times have you been fired?

I usually don't report mistakes for fear of being fired or being thought of as incompetent.

What kind of mistakes are we talking about?

Also, my coworkers aren't usually supportive.

What would you define as supportive?
While it does sound like you are feeling down I do think we are missing quite a bit of the story so I've asked some questions in red for the bigger picture.

Remember also that the economy is really tight right now and EVERYBODY is having a hard time finding a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search