Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 02:29 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times

Advertisements

by the receptionist-"The interviewer wanted me to let you know she is in a meeting and will not be able to see you today and would you be abloe to return tomorrow?"

Of course my answer was-"probably not" since the interviewer assumed that I had no other options and it also gave off the message that they had the person they wanted.

We have been having this debate at work and I was being made fun of because I decided to leave and not return to the interview the following day.

So how many people on this board whether you had a job or not would have returned to the company the next day after showing up on time for the initial scheduled interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 02:33 PM

964 posts, read 2,648,216 times
Depends. How inconvenient is it? When were you told? What impacts did would the interview have had (missed work that day)? Was recovery possible (head back to work)? Where is the interview with respect to where you would be that day?

It all depends. So, my answer is yes, I would if I could.

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
Oh how moronic can you possibly be - of course I would have rescheduled. If the next day was seriously not going to work for you another day could have been offered up. But to blow your opportunities just to be a stubborn a## and make an assumption they already had someone is just dense.

JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,937 times
maybe, it depends

Old 01-26-2011, 02:34 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,481,447 times
My take on things, especially these days, if you are invited to an interview you go, if for anything, experience. You get a chance to answer the questions and meet the people and improve your technique. You never know what happened...her child could have been sick.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:35 PM

580 posts, read 2,293,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
by the receptionist-"The interviewer wanted me to let you know she is in a meeting and will not be able to see you today and would you be abloe to return tomorrow?"

Of course my answer was-"probably not" since the interviewer assumed that I had no other options and it also gave off the message that they had the person they wanted.

We have been having this debate at work and I was being made fun of because I decided to leave and not return to the interview the following day.

So how many people on this board whether you had a job or not would have returned to the company the next day after showing up on time for the initial scheduled interview.
I know this doesn't answer your question, but I find it ironic that a company can be so disrespectful to an applicant that they can't even find the time to call you and let you know the interview is canceled.

If you showed that kind of disrespect, you never would be considered for the job.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:39 PM

924 posts, read 2,231,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
I find it ironic that a company can be so disrespectful to an applicant that they can't even find the time to call you and let you know the interview is canceled.

If you showed that kind of disrespect, you never would be considered for the job.
Indeed, I'm with TVSG on this one.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:00 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
I've been in the position of the employer and recall clearly all hell breaking loose and having to sit in on a conference call and it was 5 minutes before the interview I had scheduled and I had no way of getting a hold of this woman in that span of time and had the administrative assistant apologize on my behalf and talk to the interviewee about reschedualing the interview. She did reschedule and ended up being the person I hired. I've left that company some time ago and she sill works there.

I have to say, some people aren't in a position to be stubborn and over value themselves which is a fatal combination, especially in today's job market.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:11 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
My response would very much depend on the delivery of the message. If the excuse was, "I'm so sorry, but (the interviewer) was unexpectedly called in to an emergency meeting. We tried to reach you but you must have already left the house, could we possibly reschedule for tomorrow, I'm so sorry, etc." then I might reschedule.

If it was hypothetically posed as bluntly as TVSG says it was (and with all due respect he leaves out so much when he posts anywhere on CD) then, yes, I would have a problem since my time is valuable. Under those circumstances I would have asked how long the emergency meeting would last and if it would be worth my waiting. And I would segue from there.

Unlike TVSG I wouldn't have said, "Probably not" and, Grasshopper, that's a very childish and unmeasured response at best since the explanation hypothetically given (but delivery unqualified) certainly does not necessarily indicate that the company had already hired someone or was deliberately wasting your time.

As long as you remain in your little and very narrow cocoon you will never understand that life is made up of a series of grey tones and not in absolute black and whites.

Your fellow workers don't have to be Einsteins in the raw to pick holes in your logic. Only you fail to see it and so your position was challenged although I doubt you were "made fun of" except in your own mind.

And you're a career counsellor who works with ex-cons in an effort to put them back into the workplace.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:17 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Business happens even when we, the all important job applicant, are waiting for an interview. Sure I would go back. From the OP's question they wanted to know if he could come back the next day. They are giving you the choice here. You could not come back. You could come back the next day. You could make another appointment that does work for you and them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search