Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 11:07 AM

8,956 posts, read 20,379,888 times

Advertisements

I know we are ALL trying darn near everything we know, and I've read Threads about some of these things, to get a job. I have my resume posted on a few websites, including Careerbuilder and Monster, BUT do employers and/or agencies really look at resumes posted on websites (other than their own website) that often?? I know it costs a company or agency money to do a "resume search" on Careerbuilder or Monster. I just posted a resume on another job website (for the city I live in) yesterday and can only hope that it will be seen and I get a call.
Your thoughts
Thanks
(Darn, cann't correct the Thread title. Should be "will it ever be looked at"......what is written sounds sort of illiterate, which I'm not!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 11:34 AM

4 posts, read 8,630 times
In my experience, all those sites are good for is spam, spam, and more spam. I would steer clear of posting anything on them. They're decent resources for proactive job searches, but they're not a great places for employers to look for you.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:11 PM

623 posts, read 1,602,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I know we are ALL trying darn near everything we know, and I've read Threads about some of these things, to get a job. I have my resume posted on a few websites, including Careerbuilder and Monster, BUT do employers and/or agencies really look at resumes posted on websites (other than their own website) that often?? I know it costs a company or agency money to do a "resume search" on Careerbuilder or Monster. I just posted a resume on another job website (for the city I live in) yesterday and can only hope that it will be seen and I get a call.
Your thoughts
Thanks
(Darn, cann't correct the Thread title. Should be "will it ever be looked at"......what is written sounds sort of illiterate, which I'm not!)
In this market right now highly unlikely. Companies are flooded with resumes so there is no need to go out and search for one. Not saying no chance but I would say very slim. But hey what does it hurt. Set up another email because you will get spam mail from them.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:37 PM

9,852 posts, read 13,704,520 times
I was a telemarketer for 8 months. The actual title in my resume was "sales associate." I was a "case manager" for a non-profit for about a year most recently. With both of those jobs on my resume I get 1-2 spam e-mails for insurance agent jobs everyday from CareerBuilder. You'd be better off going to twitter to post your resume.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:47 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,909,927 times
In my experience, not on monster or careerbuilder, but yes if you are uploading them to an industry-specific website. For example, most bar associations' websites have job boards. Likewise there are many healthcare associations that have job boards on their websites.

If you're looking for a wide broadcast of your website, LinkedIn is probably the best way to go. You can post your full resume if you want, but people can't contact you unless they themselves are members.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:21 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,199,065 times
I got my job at my current co due to careerbuilder a few years ago. I've had head hunters calling me the past few weeks since I put my CV back on line. At this juncture it could probably get me a temp job, but not F/T/perm. Right now it seems that networking is the way to go.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:40 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,639,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Your thoughts
Thanks
Personally-- I don't post my resume. I apply or I don't want to be contacted type of thing.

However, a friend of mine had his resume out on Monster and Careerbuilder. The big fruit company who makes all of the "i" products contacted him for an opening, ended up hiring him as a contractor then when they had a more fitting job for him hired him permanently with a super sweet relocation package and salary.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:46 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,771,264 times
I got a call from Bankers life and casualty insurance the other day about becoming an insurance agent.

not my thing, but it is a legitimate job that works out very well for some people (if you have the personality for it)

Old 03-12-2011, 12:29 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,482,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I got a call from Bankers life and casualty insurance the other day about becoming an insurance agent.

not my thing, but it is a legitimate job that works out very well for some people (if you have the personality for it)
I got the same call yesterday. Actually I got an email and three calls, but had just gotten a new phone the previous day and forgot to set up my voice mail. To me it sounded less than legitimate and I decided not to pursue it.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:47 PM

207 posts, read 501,238 times
I had my resume up on Monster, I totally forgot about until about a month ago. I got 3 contacts for commission only sales, one contact for interview as a part-time phone person at Bank of America (I don't know why they thought I'd be remotely interested), and I just got contacted to do bilingual data entry with IGA... But again, not what I'm interested, although they claimed that because I have 3 languages (English, French, and German) they would offer $44,000, which sounds really good for that type of job.

So not all scams, but they seem to be lower-level then what I would apply to ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search