Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 05:30 AM

27 posts, read 65,416 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have lunch interview with a CPA firm. This will be my final interview. After the office visit, two of the associates will take me to lunch. I think we're going to carpool. However, not knowing what to expect, I was wondering if I should drive nice or beat up car. I have $50k+ Benz and 2000 ford taurus. I think I should drive my Taurus but I wanted to receive your awesome feedback. I want to make good impressions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 07:23 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,655,241 times
Is this a high paying job? Is the Taurus really beat up or just old? If it is in good condition, I would drive the Taurus. If it is really beat up, then the Benz. Could you borrow a friends car that is not as nice as your Benz, but not as beat up as your Taurus?

Old 04-09-2011, 07:37 AM

2,632 posts, read 4,050,414 times
Seems like you want validation to do what you probably already want to do: drive your Mercedes.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:41 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Borrow or rent a car that's somewhere inbetween. Whatever you do, don't take the Benz. You need to hide your wealth at first because your job offer will be lower if they think you don't need money. Alternately, you might not get a job offer if they think you don't "fit in" because you're driving a junker.

Is there any possibility that you can park your car in another parking lot nearby and walk to the office? It's not like you'll be the one driving to lunch. If that's what you're worried about, you can say that your car is in the shop and your wife dropped you off or you took a taxi or whatever. But I think it's highly unlikely that you would need to say those things because they aren't likely to expect you to drive.

btw, I just noticed this is your final interview. What car did you drive to the other interviews? Is this a CPA firm where you park in a parking lot right infront of their offices. Have they already seen the benz?

Old 04-09-2011, 07:43 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
Seems like you want validation to do what you probably already want to do: drive your Mercedes.
That's not necessarily wise. I've had coworkers who owned expensive cars. They didn't drive them to work. They left them at home so the bosses wouldn't think they were being paid too well. Driving an expensive car to work can hinder future raises---at least for engineers. That might not be the case at a CPA firm for raises.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's not necessarily wise. I've had coworkers who owned expensive cars. They didn't drive them to work. They left them at home so the bosses wouldn't think they were being paid too well. Driving an expensive car to work can hinder future raises---at least for engineers. That might not be the case at a CPA firm for raises.
I meant it was probably what he really wanted to do, since I don't know why it would be an issue now. Since he mentioned it was the a final interview, and not the first, I would have to wonder what the OP drove for the other interview(s); because it's likely he would have made this decision before.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:59 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
If the Taurus is in good condition - drive it. I had a boss tell me one time he used to go out in the parking lot and look at the vehicle or peek through the window because the way someone takes care of their own vehicle was an indicator of how well they'd take care of someone else's stuff.

On the flip side, I did a lot of government contract bids. The firm I worked for already had the reputation of being high priced and it's a hard sell when most bids come down to simply the price. I was working with a new district we acquired and this manager showed up at this bid meeting in a mercedes. Now, grant you, it was an older model and he got it for a steal, but that's not the way it comes across. They, the potential customers, even made a remark about it. It sent the wrong message. He was finally told to park it.

We also did work for auto manufacturers and people often had to borrow someone's car if their own was foriegn to go to a meeting with a domestic manufacturer.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:25 AM

536 posts, read 1,429,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
I meant it was probably what he really wanted to do, since I don't know why it would be an issue now. Since he mentioned it was the a final interview, and not the first, I would have to wonder what the OP drove for the other interview(s); because it's likely he would have made this decision before.
Read the entire OP; what he drove the previous interviews was not an issue. The only reason this is a concern now is due to the potential of carpooling for the lunch he is expecting to go to with the firm.

Bring the Taurus, unless it is in bad shape. If only slight damage, no problem. But make sure it's clean inside and out. But not too clean.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:29 AM

1,446 posts, read 3,551,337 times
I only have one car, so I have no choice, but to drive a $35K+ 2003 Nissan Xterra.

So far, I haven't caught an interviewer looking at it.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick99 View Post
Read the entire OP; what he drove the previous interviews was not an issue. The only reason this is a concern now is due to the potential of carpooling for the lunch he is expecting to go to with the firm.

Bring the Taurus, unless it is in bad shape. If only slight damage, no problem. But make sure it's clean inside and out. But not too clean.
While the carpooling is a point, If he brought either car before, someone could have possibly already seen him pull in with a Taurus or Mercedes (without him being aware). However, if he's that concerned now, just rent for the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search