Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 07:27 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times

Advertisements

This is totally un-scientific, but just in the last week I have had 2 headhunters contact me about my resume. The kicker is that I have not posted my resume in almost two years, just figured that I would stay working in my current position until the economy got better and the decent jobs returned. These headhunters were scouring resumes from 2-4 years ago.

The other thing that I have noticed is from the job websites that I signed up with a few years ago but never took my name off of their email list of new job postings. For the past 2-3 years, almost all of the sales jobs sent to me were for straight commission jobs selling insurance, credit card processing and other crappy sales jobs. In the past week I have actually seen 1-2 decent jobs posted with real, legitimate companies.

Anyone else noticing a few more job openings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 07:33 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
Yes, companies are hiring again. And surveys show that 57% of (manufacturing) employers say they expect to be adding employees to payroll in 2011. I am helping a client on a search and am having trouble finding candidates for 3 jobs (HR benefits and compensation analysts with experience) .....

Old 04-12-2011, 09:14 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
Nope, not in NE GA...still bleeding jobs, companies closing or laying off.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:19 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
Yes, I definitely am seeing signs of life out there again. I've been very miserable in my job for the last year but could barely get interviews. Then all of the sudden a month ago people started contacting me. I ended up with a new job which I am starting in 2 weeks, and this came from someone finding me on linkedin.com.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:38 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,551,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Nope, not in NE GA...still bleeding jobs, companies closing or laying off.

Somehow, except for Kasim Reed's 'Hire One' initiative that I read about on here, I can only report the same.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:57 PM

516 posts, read 1,350,221 times
Yes, companies are hiring again. I finally gave notice at my current employer. I start my new job next week. Finally.

I updated my resume and made it viewable to all employers on Dice, Monster and Career Builder a few months ago and I was still getting phone calls, e-mails and even text messages. I just disabled all of them. But if and when the time comes again, all I have to do is update it.

So, there is hope. I haven't had this much feedback in years.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:10 PM

243 posts, read 1,630,024 times
Yeah I'm interviewing for a Staff Accountant position with a hospital. Actually have the 2nd interview tomm. I'm employed and all but I have been applying for jobs for the last year and this is actually the first hit I've had on my resume for a while.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:59 PM

162 posts, read 886,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Yes, companies are hiring again. And surveys show that 57% of (manufacturing) employers say they expect to be adding employees to payroll in 2011. I am helping a client on a search and am having trouble finding candidates for 3 jobs (HR benefits and compensation analysts with experience) .....
I am actually looking to go into HR benefits. Can I ask you what do you consider "experience". i have group insurance experience. A vast history with it but nothing else. I want to get my foot in the door in the HR department as I will have a Business degree in 18 months and would like to eventually get into HR Management. Is 12 years insurance experience enough to get my foot in the door?

Old 04-12-2011, 09:01 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by student_101 View Post
I am actually looking to go into HR benefits. Can I ask you what do you consider "experience". i have group insurance experience. A vast history with it but nothing else. I want to get my foot in the door in the HR department as I will have a Business degree in 18 months and would like to eventually get into HR Management. Is 12 years insurance experience enough to get my foot in the door?
You'd need to have that degree and live in Dallas.....

Old 04-12-2011, 09:07 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java378 View Post
Somehow, except for Kasim Reed's 'Hire One' initiative that I read about on here, I can only report the same.
After I posted the first today, I was reading online that my area still has over 11% unemployment and that's above the GA rate of 10.2%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search