Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2011, 11:55 AM

91 posts, read 674,465 times

Advertisements

I'm supposed to fax my application form, resume, and cover letter to the company's office. I've never used a fax machine and will probably get someone at Staples to send everything for me.

I was reading about faxes and it looks like I'm supposed to send a cover sheet. Is this necessary? If so, what do I need to do? How do I create one? Do I need to create it before I go to Staples? Or do they do that for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 12:33 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ittle View Post
I'm supposed to fax my application form, resume, and cover letter to the company's office. I've never used a fax machine and will probably get someone at Staples to send everything for me.

I was reading about faxes and it looks like I'm supposed to send a cover sheet. Is this necessary? If so, what do I need to do? How do I create one? Do I need to create it before I go to Staples? Or do they do that for me?

I'm curious as to what job you are applying for?-lol

Old 04-24-2011, 12:54 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Staples and OfficeMax, etc. have preprinted fax cover sheets which you simply fill out.

TVSG, why do you find a request to fax info cause for an "LOL"?

Old 04-24-2011, 12:59 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ittle View Post

wow. just wow. You don't know how to send a fax? I too am curious about what job you are applying for. Because surely any job that requires you to send your resume by fax is going to assume you have the skill set to already know how to do just that.

But anyways.....In order for the recipient company to know to which individual the fax is directed to, they need something that gives them that name. Also, they need to know how many pages are in the transmission because sometimes there is an error and they don't receive everything. And if they don't receive everything, they need to know who the sender is and how to contact them, to request a re-send. This is the information that is included on the cover sheet. Many times the documents people are faxing don't have this information already on the documents, so a place like kinko's or staples will have blank forms that you can use as a cover sheet.

However in the case of a resume, the cover letter you usually use can double as the fax cover sheet. Be sure to include all of the information above--the name of the recipient, the name of the company, their fax number, telephone number, and your name and telephone number. You can probably leave the 'number of pages' off since the recipient will assume the transmission consists of two pages, your cover letter, and your resume.

Once you are done sending, be sure to wait for the transmission confirmation, which will print out after it is sent, and look for the 'OK' results. If it didn't go through, repeat the fax transmissioin until you achieve an 'ok' result. Be aware that charges to send a fax are per page, and long-distance numbers cost more.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:05 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
when my parents where here visiting from Sweden they were amazed how people still used fax machines over here. Why not just e mail your resume or scan it and send it as a PDF file.
Faxing is really stone-age over there.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:23 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
when my parents where here visiting from Sweden they were amazed how people still used fax machines over here. Why not just e mail your resume or scan it and send it as a PDF file.
Faxing is really stone-age over there.
It's a tad stone age here too. But I bet your parents actually do know how to use a fax machine, even if it is an antiquated technology.

Probably the company just wants all the resumes to go to one spot where they can retrieve them all at once, and not take up space on the company server.
Regardless, if the company says to fax it, that's the way to do it, unless you want your resume to end up in the trash.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:25 PM

398 posts, read 1,365,804 times
I'm sure many young Staples employees used the fax machine for the first time after they were hired.

It's like being shown how the color copy machine works at your new job since different models and brands and the age of copy machines can have different operating procedures.

It's no big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search