Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 07:14 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times

Advertisements

I had an interview with a team, I typed a business letter, thank you follow up, and sent that to the boss, then I hand wrote a card for the others. I want this job SO bad, it is KILLING me to wait.

I asked when I would be contacted about selection, start date, I did not ask about salary, I will wait for the offer, then negotiate that issue.

I am just in waiting mode. My whole life, completely in control of these people...there is no way I can do anything else to ensure I get this job.

But, if I don't get it....that is just Karma. Damn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 08:15 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,911,216 times
Get as many specifics as you can about the job duties and responsibilities. Make notes earlier in the interview so you can remember thoughts to come back to. Before you leave, you want to know exactly what freedoms and limitations you will have if hired. That is, what you are expected to do, what you are allowed to do, and what you are not allowed to do. Know who you would report to, and who they report to.

If they haven't explained already, ask what their company structure/hierarchy is, and what the team structure is, if applicable.

Ask what their performance evaluation process is--i.e., frequency and who participates.

Ask them to describe 'a day in the life' of a person in the position for which they are hiring. There are a lot of ways they can answer this, but regardless it will give you some insight into the job and the company culture.

If it hasn't been mentioned, ask if there is any travel required. Don't assume that the answer is no just because they haven't said.

Ask them do identify their competition and where they sit in the marketplace. The point of this question is to get their [u]opinion[u] or perception of themselves, not to get them to recite statistics about the stock market or their public documents.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:28 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,706,729 times
Is this a new or old position?

If old, and the interviewer is open...why is this position open?

What do you see as the biggest challenge?

Strengths and weaknesses of someone who would hold the position?

Biggest challenges within the position?

How do you celebrate success on projects?

How will I be evaluated (monthly, weekly, raises, etc?)

When will you be making a decision on the position?

How can I follow-up?

Those are my standard questions. I actually got some good compliments on a few of them during my last interview.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:56 PM

Well, as a person who has interviewed people...some of the above questions sound a bit aggressive, almost as if the person is evaluating the position, rather than the other way around. Those are good questions to ask at a second interview, or when given an offer...but not on an intial interview. Initial interview, better to be more low key...but I suppose it depends on the type of job, and situation.

I did want to know what clothing was going to be required at this new job...I hate, loathe, and despise wearing suits to work everyday. But thought I would jusdt wait until the offer to ask.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:07 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,911,216 times
Quote:
some of the above questions sound a bit aggressive, almost as if the person is evaluating the position, rather than the other way around.
Uh, yeah. As an applicant you are interviewing the company as much as they are interviewing you. You need to know if the job is a good fit for you or not. It's not a one-way street.

Last edited by kodaka; 05-11-2011 at 09:32 PM..

Old 05-11-2011, 09:10 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,706,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Well, as a person who has interviewed people...some of the above questions sound a bit aggressive, almost as if the person is evaluating the position, rather than the other way around. Those are good questions to ask at a second interview, or when given an offer...but not on an intial interview. Initial interview, better to be more low key...but I suppose it depends on the type of job, and situation.

I did want to know what clothing was going to be required at this new job...I hate, loathe, and despise wearing suits to work everyday. But thought I would jusdt wait until the offer to ask.
I've heard - even from HR people - that the prospective employee is doing an interview as much as the employer is to find the next job. Both people would hate to hire someone who you thought was a great fit, but was a bit quiet during the interview (not asking those above questions) only to find out they weren't a good fit because maybe your company has a Saturday schedule (and they have kids) or something minor that could have been avoided if it was brought up during the interview process.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:21 PM

398 posts, read 1,365,954 times
You want fries with that?

Old 05-12-2011, 04:23 AM

Right, no one says not to get information about a job, but wait until you have an initial offer before making an evaluation. I know one thing I will never do, take a job before meeting the supervisor

Old 05-12-2011, 09:08 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Right, no one says not to get information about a job, but wait until you have an initial offer before making an evaluation. I know one thing I will never do, take a job before meeting the supervisor
That doesn't really make a lot of sense. Once you get an offer the company is going to expect you have gathered the information you need. Which is what should be taking place during the interview.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:55 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,475,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
That doesn't really make a lot of sense. Once you get an offer the company is going to expect you have gathered the information you need. Which is what should be taking place during the interview.
Definitely. I usually ask enough questions to get an idea of how things work in the company I'm interviewing at. Cultural stuff I can usually gauge off my interviewers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search