Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 12:20 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,476,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Keep in mind if it is a public company I would expect a candidate to know some of these by doing some research.
Yes, I look on the company's website to get those answers. But when I go on-line to their website, I find some info there that I can either ask about or make a comment to let them know I've been on their site and am interested in their company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 12:42 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
Yes, I look on the company's website to get those answers. But when I go on-line to their website, I find some info there that I can either ask about or make a comment to let them know I've been on their site and am interested in their company.
This is really what I expect when I interview people. Questions along the line of :

"I see you just bought company X. How will that impact my position?"
"I see that there is a new CFO. How has that impacted your department?"

Things along those lines that show they did their homework and can come up with some meaningful questions.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:12 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,922,462 times
You should do your homework on the company but also try to research the person who is interviewing you. Linken. I interviewed for a job once and i found the person's profile on linken and i asked her questions about her career. she was impressed. (waiting on a 2nd interview for that job)

1. what is a normal day for a person in this position?
2. when is the busy season for this role?
3. is this a new position?
4. what are the benefits of for working for this company?
5. is there career advancement opportunities in this company? (if they say yes, ask for an example) LOL
6. why do you enjoy working here?
7. what is the next step in the interview process?

Ask for a business card and follow up with a thank you email reconfirming on why you ARE the best candidate.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:34 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrnicolas84 View Post
You should do your homework on the company but also try to research the person who is interviewing you. Linken. I interviewed for a job once and i found the person's profile on linken and i asked her questions about her career. she was impressed. (waiting on a 2nd interview for that job)
Interesting. I never really thought of that. My first reaction is that I think I would be a bit freaked out. But it certainly does show some initiative. I think though that could be a fine line and some people wouldn't necessarily like being asked specifics about their work history.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:30 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,922,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Interesting. I never really thought of that. My first reaction is that I think I would be a bit freaked out. But it certainly does show some initiative. I think though that could be a fine line and some people wouldn't necessarily like being asked specifics about their work history.
If they have a profile on linken, you can use it to understand the person that you will be interviewed by and also come up with questions. I saw her profile and she had a tremendous career so i asked her "With all your experience with companies A, B, C, etc, why do you enjoy working here?" You can also see if there is career growth with that company by searching the company on linken.

I won't ask specifics like how was your experience at company A? Since that would be awkward. Also, companies are doing the same thing. (Searching you on facebook, etc.)

Old 05-13-2011, 05:31 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,356,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
When do we get paid.
How many vacation days do we get?
What type of medical do you have?
Does all the employees get along?
Can we leave early the day before a holiday?
Let me add;

Which of the ladies in the office like to party?

What is the acceptable amount of alcohol that I can keep at my desk?

If business trips are involved does the company reimburse for hookers?

(I am just kidding)

Old 05-13-2011, 06:04 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl007 View Post
I have a job interview soon, just trying to herd up some additional questions I could possibly ask my interviewers..does anyone have any good ideas of something general yet thoughtful to ask?

What do you feel is the biggest challenge for this position?

What do you like the most about working at this company?

What was the main thing that appeal to you about this company?

Old 05-13-2011, 06:08 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
One more

"Is there anything that you need to know about me before you offer me the position?

Old 05-13-2011, 06:17 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,639,381 times
Quote:
I have a job interview soon, just trying to herd up some additional questions I could possibly ask my interviewers..does anyone have any good ideas of something general yet thoughtful to ask?
Why is this position open? (did the last person move on to a higher role, is it brand new due to growth, is it a revolving door?,)

What do you think are the biggest challenges facing this particular position? (I asked this to everyone while I was interviewing for my current job-- it was EXTREMELY enlightening)

Why do you like working in this department? What are the biggest positives? (I asked this to everyone as well-- it gave me a good idea for the vibe and the rewarding areas of the job. It also gave me an idea of what kind of environment-- in my environment it can be VERY chaotic, BUT that brings its own kind of teamwork, and excitement as well because we are in a new type of company and it is exciting).

Old 05-14-2011, 10:15 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,705,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Ask them to describe 'a day in the life' of a person in the position for which they are hiring. There are a lot of ways they can answer this, but regardless it will give you some insight into the job and the company culture.
Always a good question, especially if one of the people interviewing you is in the same position that you will be interviewing for.

If the person you are interviewing with is a manager, supervisor, etc....someone who would be your boss, ask them what their expectations would be of you as your manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
This is always key...probably even more so in the current climate. Whenever I have interviewed someone, one of my questions is always, "Why do you want to work [for this company]." And it is at this point that a good candidate is going to demonstrate that they have taken a bit time to research some the company and give use that information to explain why they want to work there. Trust me, if one's only answer is, "because I want a job", that's going to hurt you compared to others who can say they want to work for my company because [insert small list of specific reasons]. And its a question one can learn the answers to by spending maybe 30 minutes on-line looking up and researching the company.

Quote:
Think it went well, i am working on handwriting my 10 thank you notes now as i have all of their business cards
Good luck to you; I hope the news is good. As a side note, for most, a thank you e-mail is usually sufficient. Usually it is the act of writing the brief thank-you note and less in how it is done (at least, that's been my experience at the places where I have worked).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search