Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 03:02 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,623,048 times

Advertisements

Interesting! I was asked this the other day with a consultant company. I was honest saying, "No, I am not interviewing anywhere else" (I have a job... looking for a second job) and added, "I am really interested in your company." The guy in charge just said, "Wow, thanks for your honesty." I'm entry level and have never been asked this before. I didn't know what to say, so I was truthful. I didn't get the paid internship - they liked me, but found someone else who fit better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 04:59 PM

405 posts, read 573,467 times
I was actively interviewing and said "No" to one job when asked this. They ended up making me an offer 2 months later and would have probably been faster had I been honest. I had a recruiter ask have I applied anywhere else in the application and I had applied to a lot of positions but I just put the ones I was interviewing with down, it may have been used for leads but I was honest.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:16 PM

908 posts, read 961,542 times
i also got asked this question recently and found it so stupid. i think either way sounds kinda weird and frankly none of their business.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:57 PM

897 posts, read 1,180,638 times
"Yes, I have some other prospects in the works." "Yes, I have a few interviews." "Yes. I'm actually waiting to hear back from a promising opportunity."

Then follow up, but make sure you're in constant contact with them. Never tell them where. Insist that you'd rather not let them know. Let them know, again, that you have a promising prospect or some such in the works and just wanted to know when a decision will be made. It'll either seal the deal or let you know quickly if you aren't a finalist. Got me a job offer. Sometimes they just want to know because you are their top candidate and they don't want to lose you. GL!

Old 02-06-2015, 10:16 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
if you say Yes:
-you appear to be a more attractive candidate
-they need to make more haste to hire you if you're desirable, lest you get snatched by the competition
-they're worried they missed the boat, and will cut their losses and just hire someone else instead

if you say no:
-you appear to be undesirable
-no need to hurry with you. It could mean they don't need to rush HR, HM, or the team if they're on vacation
-they won't take you out of the running due to you probably taking a better offer.

In the end, you can lie about this anyways. Just don't give them verifiable info, like where you're actually interviewing, or pretending to be.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:50 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,907,374 times
They want to be able to interview x number of candidates, so of you say "yes I have interviewed elsewhere" they know they may need to continue finding qualified candidates for the hiring manager to interview.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:08 AM
mzd

419 posts, read 887,115 times
Always say "yes" to imply that you are an in-demand candidate being courted by lots of employers. If they press you for names, I'd really be tempted to say "it's none of your business" but will probably come back with "sorry, I'm sure you'd appreciate that I keep all employers' info confidential - including yours."

Old 02-07-2015, 10:44 AM

23,544 posts, read 24,041,250 times
I always say "yes", because it shows other employers are interested in you.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:11 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,623,048 times
That makes sense. When I was honest and said no, the CEO said: "Wow, thanks for being honest." I guess he was shocked I said that... either way, I didn't get the job.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:18 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Always say yes and if they ask for details, just tell them, "I can't disclose that because I don't recall which companies ran blind ads."

Do not tell them you're waiting to hear back from a promising opportunity, because if they're torn between you and the next guy, that could be enough to sink your ship.

Never help hiring managers make a decision they may be torn over by eliminating yourself!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search