Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 04:42 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times

Advertisements

and I think it went really well. .... but thats just what I think, I cannot say for sure, thats so frsutrating!

It's for a position at a university in southern california. A really good one.
I really want this job. Like uber want it.

They said the next step would be a web-cam based interview with the director and a committee of other people.

Has anyone had any experience with a web-cam based interview? I feel like it would be awkward.

Like do I wear a shirt and tie and sit at a desk? Do I stand there? Should I get a haircut?
Do I put a nice potted plant next to me to make it look like I live in an environmentally friendly house?

Should I have nice, soft music in the background? Perhaps some cookies in the oven?

Should I hold my kitty while interviewing and stroke his head? (lol jk)

like for real tho. What has been anyone's experience in doing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 06:02 PM

334 posts, read 520,850 times
Nice shirt, tie, plain background (no messy desk orliving area) and since you will likely be sitting (this is very important)

No pants

lol

Old 09-23-2011, 06:08 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
I heard of a web cam interview in a office not in someone's home. sounds weird

Old 09-23-2011, 06:19 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times
I'm all for web cam interviews if it saves me a long distance interview trip. I did one with a recruiter in Bloomington IL while I was in Chicago. Played no music and I was dressed work casual. Did it through Skype.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:48 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Be happy for the opportunity. A phone interview minimizes the element of nervousness (and fear) and allows the advantage of notes or "cheat sheets" and even googling before answering. If they liked you phone interview either
in person or video is the next step to make it fair to your competitors that came in. They probably can't afford to fly you in so this is the best alternative. Dress casual but nice and eliminate any distractions like family, TV or pets.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:48 PM

18,096 posts, read 15,676,604 times
I've done a web cam interview before. I had to go to a copy center place that had the technology because this is before there were webcams available in laptops and PCs. It was kind of strange, but beats traveling, and saves time.

Absolutely look your best! Haircut, suit, tie, the whole shebang. You will be sitting. If this webcam is in your home, make sure the webcam is not pointing at anything but a nice neutral background. Keep all your personal crap, movie posters, or whatever, away from the cam. You want them to see a professional person with nothing else distracting them.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:58 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,481,394 times
If you don't have experience using a web cam, I would recommend skyping a few times with friends so you're more comfortable during your interview. It's definitely not a hard thing to get used to, but I remember the first couple of times I did it, I thought it was kind of awkward. Now I'm a pro because one of my friends moved to Maryland haha.

Good luck!

Old 09-24-2011, 07:59 AM

2,632 posts, read 4,050,947 times
Cookies in the oven? How would they know? It's an interview, not an "open house".

Besides, depending how long the interview is, you wouldn't want to be distracted by the thought of leaving them in the oven too long.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:14 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
Cookies in the oven? How would they know? It's an interview, not an "open house".

Besides, depending how long the interview is, you wouldn't want to be distracted by the thought of leaving them in the oven too long.
LOL, I was joking about the cookies in the oven bit.

I feel like I need to go somewhere, as my house has a dog that will randomly start barking when a leaf blows by the window and an over-needy cat who will meow at the most inappropriate times. ..

Also, I have a roommate and dont want him knowing about this quite yet, as I may have to move, if offered the job...therefore leaving him to look for another roommate. .

Anyone know of any god neutral locations I could go to that has good intrenet access in a neutral setting that will allow me to "conduct" the interview???

Old 09-24-2011, 01:12 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
and I think it went really well. .... but thats just what I think, I cannot say for sure, thats so frsutrating!

It's for a position at a university in southern california. A really good one.
I really want this job. Like uber want it.

They said the next step would be a web-cam based interview with the director and a committee of other people.

Has anyone had any experience with a web-cam based interview? I feel like it would be awkward.

Like do I wear a shirt and tie and sit at a desk? Do I stand there? Should I get a haircut?
Do I put a nice potted plant next to me to make it look like I live in an environmentally friendly house?

Should I have nice, soft music in the background? Perhaps some cookies in the oven?

Should I hold my kitty while interviewing and stroke his head? (lol jk)

like for real tho. What has been anyone's experience in doing this?
I think I know which university this is ... I also interviewed at the same place but was given a choice between Webcam interview or actual face to face. Of course, I opted for the face to face, especially as I don't have the webcam technology on my home computer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search