Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 01:30 PM

13 posts, read 97,835 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to land a position at a local hospital. There is the option of applying online, but I'm skeptical of online applications. I'm debating whether or not to show up at the human resources department and ask for a job or if doing that might be a fatal error. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 01:52 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,025,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceN View Post
I'm trying to land a position at a local hospital. There is the option of applying online, but I'm skeptical of online applications. I'm debating whether or not to show up at the human resources department and ask for a job or if doing that might be a fatal error. Any suggestions?
If the job requires an online application, the HR folks would likely just direct you to the website to apply. Showing up and asking for a job could be a waste of your time and theirs.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:45 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
I'm not at a hospital, but if you showed up at my work and asked to see HR to apply for a job the receptionists would send you home to apply online like everyone else. HR wouldn't be annoyed because they would never hear about it.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:35 PM

165 posts, read 323,132 times
I work in HR part time and in this day and age.... online is the way to go.... Very rarely will employers accept apps and resumes in person, unless it is at a job fair.

If you are having trouble filling out the app, go to your local library and get one of the librarians to help you.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:42 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,289,909 times
Online is the norm. Where I work, you are very lucky if you drop by HR and the HR folks are in to speak with you. They keep busy, have lots of appointments, and are frequently in meetings or out of the office.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:47 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,728,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceN View Post
I call HR humorous resources. Not only are they insipid imbeciles, they also tend to be bizarrely disrespectful.

You're better off avoiding that treatment.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:10 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,633,582 times
Most HR people have the personality of a snake in heat.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:28 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,481,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Most HR people have the personality of a snake in heat.

Haha yes, my experience also LOL !!!

Old 11-09-2015, 10:01 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,693,981 times
The HR department is not the place to go if you are looking for a job. You need to talk to the people in the department where you want work. Sometimes the department head will run it like their own little barony. In that case, anybody in the department will be able to tell you who to talk to. If that person tells HR to hire you, they will hire you. You can go back and say, "Bob Shenanigans says I have to start work on Monday and sent me here to fill out the paperwork."

That actually works because Bob Shenanigans has a hole in his department, HR will take 6 months to advertise and evaluate applications, then stick him with doing a dozen interviews with nimnues who can't tie their own shoes. Take a printed copy of your application and resume with you. One of 3 things will happen:

1. Bob is a company hack and won't talk to you.
2. Bob talks to you but wants you vetted by HR. If you make it through to interviews later, Bob will remember you. Guaranteed.
3. You get hired on the spot.

Other on-site tips:

- Always talk to the receptionist or secretary. There's a good chance they actually run the place. Sound like you are happy to hear from them if they call you on the phone.
- Do your homework. Don't apply for a job if you don't even know what the company does. Know what job you can do and why you would be good in that position.
- Pick a nice day and take a lunch. You will find employees eating outside in nice weather. Network with them.

Old 11-09-2015, 02:17 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,623 times
Unfortunately, they'll just send you on your way to apply online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search