Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 05:20 PM

4 posts, read 7,774 times

Advertisements

This probably applies to a good 85% of you.

You want to pay $10.00 to $12.00 per hour for an employee to do administrative work for which your requirements are expert proficiency in every program known to man and the person has to have at least an AA degree in something that cost them a fortune to get. This shows me you are greedy and I do not want to work for you.

You use on line applications that parse a resume which only works if the resume is written in exactly the format of the application and is generally read by a computer program to look for buzz words and then spit out the applications which have the buzz words. This indicates to me that you are lazy and can’t think for yourself and I don’t want to work for you.

You do not list the wages in your job posting or state they are negotiable based on experience but
This indicates to me that you like to waste time and I do not want to work for you.

You require pre-employment drug testing for all employees no matter what position, even when the owners and executives are at minimum pot users. This indicates that you are hypocrites, not very intelligent, cheap or busybodies and I don’t want to work for you. (Hypocrites is easy to understand, by not very intelligent or cheap I mean, it is easy to outsmart nearly any pre-employment drug test unless you pay for the expensive ones, random tests aren’t so hard either).

You call and leave a message stating you would like to discuss a position further or set up an interview and when I call back (more than once) you never return my call. This tells me you are unreliable and I don’t want to work for you.

You set up an interview and when the applicant comes in, sometimes a great distance, clearly is over a certain age, you immediately make up your mind that they are not who you will hire. This shows me you do not want an experienced employee with good values and a good work ethic.

In the interview, please stop asking why do you want to work here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 08:15 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I have hired 4 people over the last few months. All are making over $23/hour, and some are doing administrative work. None are required to have a degree yet all do, including a BS in economics and an MBA.

All resumes are read by me, HR, and any others that I ask to join in the interviews.

For all jobs we list the low and midpoint of the salary range, and can negotiate starting pay within that, which is stated in the announcement.

We do no drug testing at all, just a verification of references and education as shown on the resume.

Of those hired recently one was in late 40s, another mid-50s.

We don't ask why do you want to work here.

I wouldn't want to hire someone like you who makes broad generalizations which sound like excuses for your lack of success.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:55 PM

4 posts, read 7,774 times
You would be the 15% that does not do this. Rare indeed.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:52 PM

115 posts, read 226,878 times
Frustrated, I think it is more like 90% of the employers.

Hemlock, if 4 out of 4 have degrees, how many have you hired that don't? I would be more impressed if you said that at least on of them does not have a degree and was being paid fairly.

The OP is correct, this is what is experienced by many job seekers, just look at the help wanted ads.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:14 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovester View Post
Frustrated, I think it is more like 90% of the employers.

Hemlock, if 4 out of 4 have degrees, how many have you hired that don't? I would be more impressed if you said that at least on of them does not have a degree and was being paid fairly.

The OP is correct, this is what is experienced by many job seekers, just look at the help wanted ads.
While none of these jobs required a degree, they do require experience,
the least being 2 years required, 4 years desirable. It just happens that the people with the experience and skills that we chose have all had degrees, as did most applicants. In fact we have gotten applicants for these jobs with law degrees.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:20 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
Dear frustrated,

If you do not like our policies, you are more than welcome to start your own company. No one is forcing you to work for us.

Sincerely, a prospective employer.

PS, if you can't even answer the question "why do you want to work here?", then you aren't the type of employee we want.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:21 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
It is probably comforting to the OP that a lot of HR professionals are out looking for a job as well.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:09 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,732,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Dear frustrated,

If you do not like our policies, you are more than welcome to start your own company. No one is forcing you to work for us.

Sincerely, a prospective employer.

PS, if you can't even answer the question "why do you want to work here?", then you aren't the type of employee we want.

Exactly! I would want employees that want to work for me and not those that have to work for me.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:32 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedjobapplicant View Post
This probably applies to a good 85% of you.

You want to pay $10.00 to $12.00 per hour for an employee to do administrative work for which your requirements are expert proficiency in every program known to man and the person has to have at least an AA degree in something that cost them a fortune to get. This shows me you are greedy and I do not want to work for you.

You use on line applications that parse a resume which only works if the resume is written in exactly the format of the application and is generally read by a computer program to look for buzz words and then spit out the applications which have the buzz words. This indicates to me that you are lazy and can’t think for yourself and I don’t want to work for you.

You do not list the wages in your job posting or state they are negotiable based on experience but
This indicates to me that you like to waste time and I do not want to work for you.

You require pre-employment drug testing for all employees no matter what position, even when the owners and executives are at minimum pot users. This indicates that you are hypocrites, not very intelligent, cheap or busybodies and I don’t want to work for you. (Hypocrites is easy to understand, by not very intelligent or cheap I mean, it is easy to outsmart nearly any pre-employment drug test unless you pay for the expensive ones, random tests aren’t so hard either).

You call and leave a message stating you would like to discuss a position further or set up an interview and when I call back (more than once) you never return my call. This tells me you are unreliable and I don’t want to work for you.

You set up an interview and when the applicant comes in, sometimes a great distance, clearly is over a certain age, you immediately make up your mind that they are not who you will hire. This shows me you do not want an experienced employee with good values and a good work ethic.

In the interview, please stop asking why do you want to work here?

Old 12-05-2011, 02:40 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,715,414 times
Most drug tests for low-wage jobs aren't that bad. The swab test used applied to the mouth only goes back 2 days. I remember when I applied for a warehouse job at a ghetto temp agency for $8 an hour earlier this year, I was dead honest about my occassional weed smoking and they told me to come back in two days. I did and passed the test. The job, itself, was awful. It was a filthy, freezing cold produce warehouse where no one spoke any english including the supervisors. Drug tests for low-wage jobs are only impossible to pass if you smoke weed or abuse any other illegal substance at a constant pace. The only jobs with difficult drug tests are for the federal government where they have the hair test which can detect if you've smoked any amount of weed or any other illegal substance in the span of three months to an entire year.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 12-05-2011 at 02:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search