Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2011, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,740 times

Advertisements

message deleted

Last edited by ugh555; 12-08-2011 at 01:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 12:45 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Focus on interviews and submitting your resume for openings and also post your resume online.

Have all your interviews first thing in the AM, so they finish in time for you to arrive at your current job.

The best thing about staying in the job now 1) You are currently working. Employers want you more versus if you were unemployed. 2) Reason for leaving: Company not doing well, health benefits cut due to this and moved from full-time to part-time due to this.

You learned a hard lesson here, and hopefully a life-long lesson. When job searching or interviewing, tell NOBODY at your current job. This is what happens when you say something.

Next time, you take vacation time or sick time or interview at off hours/holidays/weekends if it means not telling your current employer that you are job searching.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:56 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugh555 View Post
..... What can I do? Can he/she do this? Is there any legal action I can take? Don't I have rights?
There's no law against being an a_hole boss. You can talk to a lawyer if you want but lawyers charge consultation fees. You can research online also. Absolutely never EVER tell anyone at work that you're looking for another job. Don't know what possessed you to do that. Based on the pattern of the boss's behavior that you've described, you could have anticipated that the monster boss would grow "bigger horns" upon hearing that you're looking for a new job. I was in a situation very similar to your own almost 2 years ago. I was afraid to give a two week notice because my boss was so evil and vindictive. I just resigned on the spot on a day when I knew she would be absent. I just "escaped." My situation was a bit more extreme than what you've described. Since then I cannot put my last job on my resume because I KNOW I won't get a normal reference. You may have to omit that workplace from your resume as well, depending on the particular circumstances.

There's no law against being a bully or being evil. If it involves the protected classes as designated by EEOC or Dept of Labor, then yes. If not, then you just have to leave.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:14 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,213,226 times
You have just learned a valuable lesson. You can't let current employer know that you are looking.

This is a cardinal rule. They will ********* and did.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:48 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Only if you have been given notice, otherwise it is a good way to get to the top of the layoff list.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:08 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,229,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
There's no law against being an a_hole boss. You can talk to a lawyer if you want but lawyers charge consultation fees. You can research online also. Absolutely never EVER tell anyone at work that you're looking for another job. Don't know what possessed you to do that. Based on the pattern of the boss's behavior that you've described, you could have anticipated that the monster boss would grow "bigger horns" upon hearing that you're looking for a new job. I was in a situation very similar to your own almost 2 years ago. I was afraid to give a two week notice because my boss was so evil and vindictive. I just resigned on the spot on a day when I knew she would be absent. I just "escaped." My situation was a bit more extreme than what you've described. Since then I cannot put my last job on my resume because I KNOW I won't get a normal reference. You may have to omit that workplace from your resume as well, depending on the particular circumstances.

There's no law against being a bully or being evil. If it involves the protected classes as designated by EEOC or Dept of Labor, then yes. If not, then you just have to leave.
Depends on what they are doing to be "evil", you could straight up slap them with criminal charges and have them locked up depending on what they are doing. Get a voice/hidden camera on you so you can prove what is going on, if they are using abusive lanuage or physically threating you, using harsh tones thats assult and depending on what is going on could be considered attempted battery.

People forget about pressing criminal charges, you dont need to involve EEOC or any of that bolony just call the police and have them arrested and if you have evidence the DA will throw the book at them, you think your career will be messed up, your ex boss will now have a criminal record. There is more than one way to play the game.

EEOC and dept of labor is a joke, you need to find a way to evoke punishments that have teeth, get your boss to do something crazy and thats all you need.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:12 AM

352 posts, read 1,004,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugh555 View Post
Now i finally got my resume out there and had 3 interviews to go on. I decided to be honest and up front. I told my boss I had 3 interviews and Id like to take some unpaid time to explore these opportunities. Well that came back to bit me in the ass.
Oh yeah that's gotta blow. I never tell or give prospective employers my current supervisor. I tell them I would withdraw my application if they keep insisting.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:55 AM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,769 times
Why did you delete your post?

Old 12-11-2011, 09:45 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,951,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
My thoughts exactly.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:44 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
Probably because they realized what they did was foolish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search