Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 11:38 AM

111 posts, read 173,742 times

Advertisements

I would use a unique email address (1 that does not have your name, initials, etc) to utilize for social network sites, general websites, etc. You should have a professional email address for your resume, career websites, etc.

Use facebook, twitter, etc at your own risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 12:02 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I know of someone who could be terminated for stupid posting on Facebook. But I just monitor the postings, and shake my head. MYOB. I would give this person a "heads up", but I am enjoying watching the whole thing. I am quite mean.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:31 PM

554 posts, read 977,400 times
I removed my facebook profile. Much easier than constantly having to monitor my page to make sure it looks like the page of a professional.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:49 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,847 times
how about putting your Facebook page private so only friends can see? There is a setting on there that you can make it not come up even if someone googles your name. I googled my name, has no reference to Facebook what so ever, so I am assuming a potential employer would find the same thing?

Agreed though, I did go through my pictures and there was one of me holding a beer, in my own house, at a party. I deleted it just in case.

If a picture of me on a cruise, or at the beach, with no shirt on, offends a potential employer, then I don't want to work for them anyway.

I never understood someone's need to post every little thing, like "hey everyone I'm making french fries" the best one someone I know posts, and posts this every day almost "at work, call or text" I mean what the heck would her employee see if they ever saw that?

Does everyone think that the employers hire people that can beat FB security and get in and view your profile/pics/status updates without your consent?

Old 01-01-2012, 12:57 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Many people have co-workers as FB "friends", who can see their pages.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:07 PM

correct, but if you go to a new company, where you don't know anyone there is really no way for a potential employer to view your account, I guess that they can see if you have a FB page but can't view it.....

True, if you've worked at a company for a while, and become FB friends with some co-workers, then what would the employer approach your friend and ask to see your page?

You really have to be special to post "my job sucks" in that scenario. You will quickly find out unemployment sucks too

Old 01-01-2012, 01:15 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
correct, but if you go to a new company, where you don't know anyone there is really no way for a potential employer to view your account, I guess that they can see if you have a FB page but can't view it.....

True, if you've worked at a company for a while, and become FB friends with some co-workers, then what would the employer approach your friend and ask to see your page?

You really have to be special to post "my job sucks" in that scenario. You will quickly find out unemployment sucks too
That is exactly what happened here. This broad was a special kind of stupid as I posted earlier -her boss was one of her facebook friends and this is hilarious.

How To Lose Your Job Via Facebook Status - Geekologie

Old 01-01-2012, 01:29 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I'm not saying it's right or wrong and there is no definitive line drawn across the board for ethical work standards when one is not in the office or on their own time. It is just out there - and big brother is watching. People who use these mediums for every assorted detail of their lives are simply taking risks with their privacy. If you don't want your employer, family or Jesus, Mary and Joseph to know what you do in your spare time, then don't make facebook and twitter your "Dear Diary."

According to a 2009 study by Internet security firm Proofpoint, 8 percent of companies with more than 1,000 employees have fired someone for social media actions -- a figure that is double what was reported in 2008.

Yet it probably comes as no surprise that Facebook firings are on the rise. Cases of employers firing employees for social media slip-ups have been consistent in the news over the past few years.

Just in case you need a refresher of what not to say online, here's a timeline of 12 ridiculous examples of how Facebook can get you fired.

12 examples of people getting fired over Facebook | WHAS11.com Louisville

We already saw one jackass nearly lose his job over his Facebook status, and here comes a chick that actually managed to go all the way. Congratulations --
How To Lose Your Job Via Facebook Status - Geekologie

Many of those cases resulted in termination because the action were illegal, facebook or not. Abuse of controlled subtances is illegal. Violating patient privacy laws is illegal.
Many of the rest of the cases were actually ruled by the courts to be wrongful termination, a fact conveniently left out of the '12 examples' link.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:37 PM

agreed if you post pictures of yourself from your phone at the beach, when you called in sick, you are an idiot. And if you post "I hate my job" and you're friends with your manager, also an idiot.

But if you post pictures of yourself at dinner with your significant other, and you are drinking a glass of wine, or hanging out with old college friends having a beer, I don't think any employer, or potential employer would hold that against you...............I hope.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:50 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
]I want to hire someone who is reliable, responsible, and whose lifestyle would not offend my peers, other staff, or the clients we serve.
And it's that last part where you cross the line from being "employer" to "big brother". Why do you care if your (potential) employee has done a kegstand when not on the job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search