Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 09:49 PM

377 posts, read 620,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robabeatle View Post
Let me clarify: as an adjunct at a CC, you wont make much and it is generally hard to get a full time position unless you "know" someone.

I meant teach at the secondary level. If you teach in an AP program the content is essentially what you teach at a CC anyway with generally better students.

I have interviewed countless physics teachers out there and there are not many that know the content, can listen to students, and be personable all at the same time.

Look on CL in your area for this, or at least part time tutoring.
I've applied to several positions, and the schools have told me that they have found people with PhD's who were willing to take the position when I followed up. Even teaching jobs are very hard to come by in my area.

Then again, I never went in my field of study to become a teacher. I personally can't stand teaching and would rather do any other job in the world. Yet, it seems every suggestion these days is to "become a teacher" as if that is the only skill a physicist is good for outside of research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
If you remove your degrees, will that leave you with a 6 year gap on your employment history? You would probably be better off making something up if you want to work in fast food.
That is my main concern. If employers eventually find out about what I've been doing for the past years while on the job, would that be grounds for immediate dismissal?

Old 01-14-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfwitwanderer View Post
You know there's something terribly wrong with society when a nuclear physicist can't get a job at a time when we're desperate for alternative energy.

If you're like the millions of us and are just sending resumes from behind a computer, you aren't going to have much luck. I get that you're trying to start from the bottom, but shouldn't you be more focused on getting entry level work (doesn't seem like you care what kind of work) rather than specifically minimum-wage jobs?

As for teaching, it really depends on where you are. Some places have hiring freezes. Other places are impossible to get in. Might wanna take a crack at organizations like Teach for America if you're going this route.
I've applied for many industry jobs where I believe I may have been qualified and after following up I've been told the minimum requirement is an engineering degree. This seems to be the case with practically every entry-level industry job these days. I've given up on it and I just want to start working, even if it is a minimum wage job.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:34 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
You could probably get a job at a nuclear plant or in the Navy on a nuclear powered ship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astute View Post
If it were that easy, I'd have a job by now. Practically all nuclear related jobs in industry require a nuclear engineering degree. Nuclear physicists need not apply, and our resumes are trashed by a computer program most of the time before they are even seen by a human.
This is absolutely not true. The Navy would snatch you up. They are desperate for people who are smart enough to pass their nuclear program and are willing to sit and stare at the controls all day. The Navy was BEGGING my son to go into their nuclear program after they saw his ASVAB scores---and he was in high school at the time! They were offering him a $50,000 sign on bonus! He turned it down because he didn't want to spend the rest of his life sitting in a control room. I'm telling you that they are desperate. They'll give waivers for almost anything to fill the positions.

And why are you avoiding the posts recommending you get into education. There's a teacher shortage for math and science in the secondary level, even in regions that pay teachers very well. (In my region, public school teachers make 100k in 10 years.) Go get your teacher certification! Some states have emergency certification. If you don't want to teach high school, you can teach at a community college, which only requires a masters. The pay might not be fantastic but it's certainly better than mimimum wage.

You don't need a minimum wage job. You need to broaden your job search reach to areas you never considered.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:16 PM

18 posts, read 53,297 times
It you are willing to take a minimum wage job, the you might as well become a substitute teacher. In this position you have flexibility to go on job interviews and the hours allow for another job or time to submit resumes in your desired field.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:58 AM

39 posts, read 156,587 times
Default No teacher shortage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
This is absolutely not true. The Navy would snatch you up. They are desperate for people who are smart enough to pass their nuclear program and are willing to sit and stare at the controls all day...

And why are you avoiding the posts recommending you get into education. There's a teacher shortage for math and science in the secondary level, even in regions that pay teachers very well. (In my region, public school teachers make 100k in 10 years.) Go get your teacher certification! Some states have emergency certification. If you don't want to teach high school, you can teach at a community college, which only requires a masters. The pay might not be fantastic but it's certainly better than mimimum wage.

You don't need a minimum wage job. You need to broaden your job search reach to areas you never considered.
I think I once heard that military is not having a hard time, at this time, filling up their recruitment quotas.

About teaching jobs...
I don't think there is a shortage of math and science teachers AT THIS TIME. In the past, I think there was a shortage.

In the past, some school districts filled vacant science and math positions with people who did not even finish credential programs yet...They were really desperate...

Now, school districts would insist on hiring science and math teachers with credentials. There are many unemployed science and math teachers at this moment...

My background...I spent over ten years working as a sub teacher in public schools...

Old 01-15-2012, 06:54 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimesub View Post
I think I once heard that military is not having a hard time, at this time, filling up their recruitment quotas.

About teaching jobs...
I don't think there is a shortage of math and science teachers AT THIS TIME. In the past, I think there was a shortage.

In the past, some school districts filled vacant science and math positions with people who did not even finish credential programs yet...They were really desperate...

Now, school districts would insist on hiring science and math teachers with credentials. There are many unemployed science and math teachers at this moment...

My background...I spent over ten years working as a sub teacher in public schools...
The teacher thing is based on geography. I don't know any areas that need elementary or English teachers, but in my area they are still trying to fill junior high science positions. They might not be the best paying jobs in the world, but they are JOBS with BENEFITS. I know certain urban areas in the Northeast are still having a hard time finding math and science teachers on the 7-12 grade level.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:39 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Wrong. Not when it comes to the nuclear program.

Only 1%-3% of the country's population qualify for that program and most of them don't want the job.

Quote:
About teaching jobs...

You can't base this on your experience in your own city. The United States is a huge country and it has a secondary level teacher shortage in math and science. Even in my metro area where teachers from around the country want to work because the pay is high need secondary teachers for the positions that are more difficult to fill, such as math, science, latin, etc. There are areas of the country where the pay isn't good that have even higher teacher shortages. But those low paying jobs will certainly be more than minimum wage. I'm surprised you're not aware that there are special grants and funding at colleges for education majors because there is a teacher shortage.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:01 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,424,223 times
Default for heaven's sake, apply at NSA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astute View Post
B.Sc in physics and mathematics, M.Sc in nuclear physics. I don't expect to find a job in my field and would be content working at a fast food restaurant and working my way up from there.
This whole cybersecurity area, what with adversaries hacking into US critical infrastructure networks - it's a national priority now. NSA is heavily math/physics oriented. They'd train you. Apply there, I'd think you'd do well.

Apply to the Air Force. They are the most quantitative branch of the military services, EVERYTHING runs on computers, and they need people who would understand logic and decision support.

Apply to the Department of Energy. They badly need help.

All these gov jobs need quantitative STEM-type people, of which you are an exemplar. So do yourself a favor and go for it! Could change your life. They're long on the front end though - could be a one year hiring cycle. Go on USAJOBS.gov for the govt agencies, get down to your local Air Force recruiter for the Air Force gig.

Don't want to move? Don't make excuses! It took a lot of effort to get through those problem sets. Get some return from your blood, sweat and tears!

Best of luck to you.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:35 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
As a chemist/chemistry grad I can certainly relate to this. Science degrees now a days just aren't worth the effort and I will be the last in my family to ever get one.

I'd go back to school and get a computer science degree or go for the actuary exams. \

Yes it would be great to work for the Air Force, Navy, or any other federal agency but everyone else has that same idea and the hiring system is a joke. I am at the point of wanting to throttle federal HR people when I have to argue with barely HS graduate level HR pukes that I am qualified to be referred to the selecting official for a chemist position with an MS and years of experience. I have well over 220 applications for federal jobs. It is my dream at this point because I have zero regard for American companies nor any desire to work for or have anything to do with them at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search