Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 02:17 PM

410 posts, read 1,521,938 times

Advertisements

I've officially scrapped everything I have online. All resumes/applications/profiles...everything. I'm going to start over but lost all confidence in my abilities. Interviewers imply that business closures were somehow my doing...volunteer work means nothing...going to school means nothing...seasonal work is the kiss of death...under-dressed/over-dressed...

If I ever want to find a job after 7 years I've got to do something different. How do you find your confidence again.

I had an interviewer tell me yesterday that going to school for the past 7 years means I didn't do anything for that time. That is really defeating because I never really thought I would ever go back to school. Started college at 17, dropped out first quarter. Lived my life, had my son and decided I could be a hypocrite on many things but education is not one of them. Went back to school when he was a year old and earned my AS, BS, and MBA in 7 years. He's proud of me at least (he keeps asking when I've going to find a job so we can move and he can get more Lego's...lol)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 03:23 PM

831 posts, read 2,826,728 times
That's ridiculous for an interviewer to say.
These employers are treating people like crap because they can. It's their market.
What you accomplished is amazing and there's no way you shouldn't have a job offer.

I'm sorry, hopefully the jobs return soon so people can get back to normal life. This is horrible what Americans are dealing with.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:26 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
move away from the advance gen ed degree machine. u have been grooming yourself to be a manager. they got too many now.
i would focus on some hard skills at VE jr college, dont ignore military for professional training.
my favorite pick is medical.
all of the above debt free VE education.
and yes u will have to have a guardian for the child if you go to boot camp in the military.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:54 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
In your resume you say you want to be in project management but do you even know what managing project means? I don't even see that you can articulate that in your own resume.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:25 PM

410 posts, read 1,521,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
In your resume you say you want to be in project management but do you even know what managing project means? I don't even see that you can articulate that in your own resume.
Yes I know what project management means. The suggestion you made, in my opinion, embellished my role beyond recognition. There is, at least in my view, a difference between "assisted" and "managed".

Old 02-23-2012, 04:28 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
Yes I know what project management means. The suggestion you made, in my opinion, embellished my role beyond recognition. There is, at least in my view, a difference between "assisted" and "managed".
Explain to me what "managed" means.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:33 PM

826 posts, read 1,894,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
I've officially scrapped everything I have online. All resumes/applications/profiles...everything. I'm going to start over but lost all confidence in my abilities. Interviewers imply that business closures were somehow my doing...volunteer work means nothing...going to school means nothing...seasonal work is the kiss of death...under-dressed/over-dressed...

If I ever want to find a job after 7 years I've got to do something different. How do you find your confidence again.

I had an interviewer tell me yesterday that going to school for the past 7 years means I didn't do anything for that time. That is really defeating because I never really thought I would ever go back to school. Started college at 17, dropped out first quarter. Lived my life, had my son and decided I could be a hypocrite on many things but education is not one of them. Went back to school when he was a year old and earned my AS, BS, and MBA in 7 years. He's proud of me at least (he keeps asking when I've going to find a job so we can move and he can get more Lego's...lol)
First, take a deep breath.
Second, know that you are not alone and that loss of job confidence is very common among anyone who has been looking for a job for a while. It is tough to remain confident when all you are getting is rejections, but you have to press on. Keep telling yourself you are worthy or "this time would pass" etc. Don't allow yourself to sink into depression.
Keep at it, someone will give you a shot

Old 02-23-2012, 04:35 PM

261 posts, read 357,533 times
Looking for a job SUCKS! There is no other way around it. The first time I was laid off I applied for over 120 positions I was qualified for and got 0 job offers. All of this was over a 6 month period. Then my company rehired me for another year or so until they closed for good. Another 3 years looking for a job. People do not realize how demoralizing, depressing, and just disheartening this can be. And I've noticed in America we like to believe we are completely in control of our own destiny so people will come out with a whole list of reasons YOU are causing this problem yourself. They ignore the fact that given the current state of employment there are 4 people for every 1 job opening. That means if all jobs were filled right now 75% of those who are unemployed will still be unemployed.

I ended up with a job that pays less then half of what I made in my previous position. But I am happy to be employed.

here's the link to back up the data.
http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/On...-opening-drops

Old 02-23-2012, 08:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
We are still getting over 100 applicants for every opening, and it's not a reflection on those that didn't get the job, simply the numbers. You could be very well suited to a position, but still have 50-60 people better qualified. Having hired several people over the last year I feel badly for the 400+ that I didn't hire but I can't hire them all. A manager has to do what's best for the business, and it's hard to justify taking on someone right out of school when people with years of experience are available. I just hired a new MBA but he had 3 years experience in the same field working part time while in college and full time for a year between college and graduate school. Don't give up hope, it has to get better eventually.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:03 PM

87 posts, read 249,486 times
Opera,

I'm in the exact same boat, and I know exactly what you are going through. I've lost my job three different times now due to the economy, and was diagnosed with depression last year. What else can we do except keep trying and keep walking into the wind. What's the alternative? People say it has to get better eventually, but eventually can't come soon enough for the multitudes that are staring into the abyss. If you're a religious man, pray; It's helped me. Try and find time and a way to laugh every day. It's amazing what even a little chuckle can do for your mood. Also, there are some decent books out there that address how to rebuild your self-esteem. Hang in there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search