Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 10:07 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times

Advertisements

Have you looked at public agencies? There are financial analyst jobs heavy on budget that around here start at about
$70k with great benefits and promotional opportunities up to about $110k before getting to management. Even if you don't make a career of it, you will get great experience. Your resume reminds me of the requirements for our financial analyst I jobs (sorry, no openings at this time) which require 3 years experience, but you are pretty close to that with 2001-present.
I would add language to your resume that shows experience in variance reporting and investigation, and accruals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 10:54 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Prune
Prune prune prune prune

I am a busy HR manager. I take 30 seconds to look at a resume. What CATCHES MY EYE.

Bullet Points

Judacious use of words

Keep it clean, simple AN EASY READ. A very easy read.

Your resume is a wall of words. too much information. Prune it. Get to the meat of the matter. two word sentences. Bold face the most important words.

Prune

Get the interview first. THEN THEN THEN you can explain your heart out. In 30 seconds you have to SELL what you can do for your prospective employer. Find out EXACTLY what they are looking for and use THOSE words in your resume.

and Prune

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-07-2014, 04:11 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,279,429 times
I agree completely with 20yearsinbranson

Base on my prior work in job placement-what stands out for me is the wordiness. Seems like an overuse of key words. Prune it down, and personally, I would leave the months of employment off and just put down the years. Makes it seem like less job hopping. You will probably need to put the months down eventually on an application, but at this stage what you are trying to do is get attention. You want to be clear, and concise.

Put your objective first, your education second, and your experience third. I personally would leave the Nordstrom job off the resume, but its up to you.
Or, you could start with your objective, then education, then focus on the SKILLS you have acquired, and last, your positions, leaving off the monthly dates again. --- Just my opinion

Edit: and I would leave off the "relevant courses" section. You can talk about that in the interview

Old 05-07-2014, 08:27 PM

748 posts, read 820,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconesforme View Post
I think Americans in general should think about leaving United States for better countries like Australia, New Zeeland and United Kingdom at least if you are below 40 years of age and ended up being fired. The OP has enough experience to be competitive in the Australian market. Many young minds leave for Australia were jobs still exist for the educated and for fairly good wages. The unemployment rate among youth below the age for 30 included university graduates in Greece and Spain is pushing 35-45 percent. Young Spaniards and Greeks give their home-countries their finger and leave for better opportunities elsewhere. I think more Americans also should think about doing so. The old united States – were a college degree at least guaranteed you your first qualified job are long gone. If you are not among the top 30 percent in your class in High School – don’t bother going to college. Get that trade degree instead. It is better to be an electrician making 50 000 US dollar a year than live in your parents basement until your parents kick you out and you end up on the street - begging for a living.
Australia has been organized as a "workers paradise". Nothing of the sort exists in the US. There is no safety net, and labor is cheap. The hollowing out of the middle class is becoming more apparent ever day.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:37 PM

149 posts, read 310,745 times
SKILLS:
Strong Excel and Access skills with particular focus on financial modeling and the use of advanced features of spreadsheets.
Knowledgeable in Brio Financial Reporting, AP Workflow, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and social web media
Proficiency using internal database systems for analyses and creating reports
==========================================

Add information of your GPA, then they may believe what you say is true.

For example, financial modelling using advanced Excel/Access, for sure, if you're academically well, you are competent doing this

Old 05-07-2014, 08:38 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
Yes brocco, I took a couple of courses there when I first moved to Atlanta and was job seeking.

I took out Nordstrom before, and it left a gap of about a year on my resume! So I put it back in depending on what job I am applying to. Government & Administrative positions I leave it on there since I think they want the resumes to be more detailed..?

And you are correct, I did use "interim" to fill in gaps.

Thanks for the replies thus far!
Your resume is not a biography of your work, it is to show what relevant skills you have for the position. Whether you have one month, one year, or five year gap does not matter.

On your application, that is where you list the previous how many jobs you had, and where if a company is concerned about gaps, will tell them you had one, and they might ask you to explain any gaps.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:42 PM

SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS:
Budget Allocation Project Management Accounting
Market Analysis Financial Research Procurement
Forecasting Payroll Operations Time Management
Strategic Thinker Multi-tasking Detail Oriented

punctuations , hard to see boundaries between items

I guess the items you listed are as follows :

Budget Allocation
Project Management Accounting
Marketing Analysis
Financial Research
Procurement
Forecasting
Payroll
Operations
Time Management

Old 05-07-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daward View Post
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS:
Budget Allocation Project Management Accounting
Market Analysis Financial Research Procurement
Forecasting Payroll Operations Time Management
Strategic Thinker Multi-tasking Detail Oriented

punctuations , hard to see boundaries between items

I guess the items you listed are as follows :

Budget Allocation
Project Management Accounting
Marketing Analysis
Financial Research
Procurement
Forecasting
Payroll
Operations
Time Management
====================

Basically, when employers say lists of items ( area of expertise ) like this, usually think it's for the ones who have working experiences that used the items.. . for example, if you list Budget Allocation, it means you ever worked in a managerial position that had authority to allocate budget and your proposal of allocating the budget was proven efficient working well for the company/department

I guess your Budget Allocation and Project Management Accounting were meaning same thing, for example, you know how to allocate budget in a project , together with procurement ( purchasing , strategic sourcing ), maybe you are looking for a project management position

quantitative skills and some accounting knowledge are involved in project management, for example, allocating budget , cost and profitability analysis, but if you say Project Management Accounting it looks like you are project manager for years and recently get CPA accountancy credential.

Marketing Analysis is for another job in division of specializations , irrelevant to other items..

Financial Research ??? it sounds research job in field of banking, acturary/insurance, investment

Old 05-08-2014, 06:13 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,213,226 times
This was an old thread. Hopefully OP found something perm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search