Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 07:37 PM

428 posts, read 900,434 times

Advertisements

Ok so Im unemployed have been on and off since Aug 2011. Last temp job lasted till Jan 13 since then Ive gone on a few interviews. I strongly believe know I could teach a class on how to interview and some people need to take it. Ive run into the ones that talk non stop for a 15-20 minutes and never ask you any direct questions, or the ones who leave you wondering how they got hired since there social skills, personal hygeine, or behavior is just odd, and some who if they didnt have a sheet infront of them asking questions wouldnt have a clue what to say... I guess my question is does anybody else feel this way? Like your being judged or spoke to by people who have absoultly no clue what they are doing. Not all just some... Thoughts ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 07:40 PM

107 posts, read 364,007 times
i've always felt I really had no idea what I was doing - so I guess I never noticed if the interviewer was clueless. But having a class is not a bad idea at all. I think there's a trend away from traditional interviewing and towards personality profiling, though. Pretty soon you'll just take a bunch of tests and never talk to anyone!

Old 03-26-2012, 08:04 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,158,735 times
It's an employers market- sadly, there are a lot of individuals out there without work, and the longer you are out of work, the less chance you have of finding something sooner than someone who has a job and is looking to leave for another .... Additionally, with every position advertised, the resumes received are between 500-1000, sometimes more ... People are so desperate these days, they're applying for jobs that they are either under or over qualified for. It's not a good market.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:10 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Unfortunately there are some unqualified supervisors interviewing out there, again the economy is patly to blame. Saves money to promote one of the workers to supervisor at about 5% raise than to deal with 100s of applications and have to pay what a real experienced supervisor would demand.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:16 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,512,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara0815 View Post
Ok so Im unemployed have been on and off since Aug 2011. Last temp job lasted till Jan 13 since then Ive gone on a few interviews. I strongly believe know I could teach a class on how to interview and some people need to take it. Ive run into the ones that talk non stop for a 15-20 minutes and never ask you any direct questions, or the ones who leave you wondering how they got hired since there social skills, personal hygeine, or behavior is just odd, and some who if they didnt have a sheet infront of them asking questions wouldnt have a clue what to say... I guess my question is does anybody else feel this way? Like your being judged or spoke to by people who have absoultly no clue what they are doing. Not all just some... Thoughts ???

I have seen the same thing. I am currently employed, but I have had very few interviews with people who could even screen me for my profession. Some were absolutely clueless. I was trying to find out if I could do what they needed, and they had no clue about my profession. They were just some business manager or boss. But they had no knowledge of what someone in my profession does.

I think some of them are "screeners" to get you to the next interview. As you have noticed, they aren't feeling secure hiring someone with one interview anymore, even though they have more information on you and more resources.

I have had interviews where I had to lead the interview, because the interviewer was so clueless. I really believe they get these jobs of power because they know someone. They date, are married to, sleep with, are a relative of...someone in power. They are looking for someone to suck up to the whole deal, not someone professional or is a mature, decent employee.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:18 PM

134 posts, read 367,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
I have had interviews where I had to lead the interview, because the interviewer was so clueless. I really believe they get these jobs of power because they know someone. They date, are married to, sleep with, are a relative of...someone in power. They are looking for someone to suck up to the whole deal, not someone professional or is a mature, decent employee.
In general, HR people make awful interviewers because they simply don't understand the job (unless it's HR). I had a couple interviews that were done almost exclusively by engineers and engineering managers and those went way better.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:07 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,512,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arc212 View Post
In general, HR people make awful interviewers because they simply don't understand the job (unless it's HR). I had a couple interviews that were done almost exclusively by engineers and engineering managers and those went way better.

Have had the same experience. The others were just asking me stupid questions.
I think the most stupid question an HR person asked me was, "If you were a cereal, what cereal would you be?" I was stunned.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:01 AM

841 posts, read 1,917,127 times
It's another excuse to say why they aren't hiring you.

Apparently if you scratched your nose instead of staring to the left while the sun caressed your head from the window on a Tuesday in June you are a BAD interview and must take classes or you will never be hired.

I believe we have to learn to be good listeners, but there are so many poor interviewers out there, they need some training.

Do you want a person who CAN DO THE JOB or some BS artist?

Old 03-27-2012, 04:47 AM

469 posts, read 913,178 times
I recently went to an interview for a large government contractor and found they wanted to play games. Making you wait, room temp warm, a prying receptionist etc. There was 4 of us waiting for the interview and some were getting impatient and starting complaining. Well, one of the people just sat quietly and imagine our surprise when he stood up and called first person back for an interview.

The waiting room was part of the evaluation.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:54 AM

841 posts, read 1,917,127 times
My favorite ones (from Yahoo)-they go out to your car and look if it is old or dirty and make the decision based on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search