Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 01:11 PM

466 posts, read 815,930 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure I agree with the "don't apply online" part. I'm similar to some of the people in the comments. I have a friend that works at a company I applied to last fall. He sort of knew the hiring manager, but isn't buddies with him. He did find out that the hiring manager had been passed my resume. The hiring manager wanted a little bit more information about one thing on my resume, but I couldn't send it directly to him. I had to go back online, through HR, blah blah blah. I didn't get called for an interview, so I'm not sure if he ever got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 02:06 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
The big takeaway from this article is that hiring managers often have to make assumptions about you. A lot of times, it's because they're not allowed to ask certain questions. But in many cases, they're just too lazy. For example, if someone's unemployed, do you assume he's lazy or do you give him the chance to explain? If someone's resume has a foreign-sounding name, do you assume he needs sponsorship or do you ask if he's already a citizen? So if a hiring manager passes you over because you're out of work or because you have a foreign-sounding name, you can be sure of one thing. He's Republican.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:13 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
If someone's resume has a foreign-sounding name, do you assume he needs sponsorship or do you ask if he's already a citizen? So if a hiring manager passes you over because you're out of work or because you have a foreign-sounding name, you can be sure of one thing. He's Republican.
So if you have a foreign-sounding name you must to put your immigration status on the resume (in the objectives) for your own good. And I'm not sure it's illegal to ask. Recruiters ask me all the time, although it's on the resume.

Last edited by mash123; 05-07-2012 at 02:34 PM..

Old 05-07-2012, 02:29 PM

380 posts, read 1,156,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
Who said anything about some law? It's just plain stupid to make a jackass out of your employer and fake a marriage to get a job, and I say this as an unemployed but honest person. Should you get your family and friends in on the scheme, too? What about their friends, coworkers and acquaintances? Where do you draw the line in how elaborate or simple your scam is? When you get busted, and you will eventually, what then? In this highly connected day and age, you can keep that charade up for only so long.
The article is not suggesting that you fake a marriage to get a job. The article only suggested that men purchase a band that could resemble a wedding ring to give the impression that he may be married. The candidate should never talk about their marital status in an interview. The implication is that the interviewer will assume the man is married and the male candidate can benefit from all the positive assumptions that married male candidates tend to receive.

If the person is ever hired he doesn't have to lie about anything. If a co-worker mentions that he is married he only needs to say no he isn't married and that's it. If they ask about the ring he can simply say it isn't a wedding band it's just a ring he wears. No harm, no foul, no lying and no creating elaborate schemes to fake a marriage and family.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:33 PM

18,103 posts, read 15,676,604 times
My manager at my last company asked me point blank if I had children! :-O I was an internal candidate being forced into finding a new position because of a corp reorg. And that was the only job available in my area. I was so pissed, but couldn't tell him it was illegal to ask (he obviously didn't know).

I'm not married & don't have children, but I didn't want to disclose my personal status. I answered truthfully, but I didn't like it one bit and it has stayed with me ever since. I did not tell him it's illegal to ask because he is the type to hold a grudge. I got laid off by that manager 3 yrs later and have been unemployed for the last 9 months. Turns out it was much better to have children...he was much easier on the employees who did. (Bastard/Idiot).

Old 05-07-2012, 03:19 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
So if you have a foreign-sounding name you must to put your immigration status on the resume (in the objectives) for your own good. And I'm not sure it's illegal to ask. Recruiters ask me all the time, although it's on the resume.
I could've used a different example. The point is that hiring managers don't have the time or perhaps don't want to expend the effort to get the full story on someone. In my field, it's pretty common for someone to change jobs every few months. That's because companies often hire IT people as contractors to work on a specific project rather than offer them a permanent position. Once that project's done, the company no longer needs them. When a hiring manager sees their resume, they might conclude the person is a jobhopper even though they're not.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:40 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
This is one of the best articles I have read so far about what hiring managers are thinking and I thought I'd share. Also telling are the comments posted by readers at the bottom.

Gallery 482 « 11 Things Hiring Managers Won’t Tell You | Career | Life & Money | LearnVest - Where life gets richer

It's also got me thinking of not wearing my wedding band for my interview this week.
I agree 100% with number 8 because applying online takes up too much time not to ever hear anything back.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:04 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
That business of the wedding rings is corporate 1980s, no one cares any more about marital status. The one that was close to true is 30 seconds looking at the resume, when you get over 100 applicants the initial cut is made quickly. Not hiring older people is done some where enty level means no experience, but when you require 10 years experience you are not going to get recent graduates in their 20s. Of my last 3 hires one was 54, one 48, one 29.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:02 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
I agree with the applying online mess, just a waste of time. Well I don't know yet since it's only been about 4 business days

Old 05-08-2012, 08:15 PM

134 posts, read 367,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
I'm not sure I agree with the "don't apply online" part. I'm similar to some of the people in the comments. I have a friend that works at a company I applied to last fall. He sort of knew the hiring manager, but isn't buddies with him. He did find out that the hiring manager had been passed my resume. The hiring manager wanted a little bit more information about one thing on my resume, but I couldn't send it directly to him. I had to go back online, through HR, blah blah blah. I didn't get called for an interview, so I'm not sure if he ever got it.
I got my job from applying online... it certainly isn't optimal but it can work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search