Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2012, 08:21 AM

2 posts, read 3,208 times

Advertisements

Alright, I have an interview today with a company (call it A, and in the medical field) that is 35 minutes from my home. This company has basically already offered me the job, they just more or less want to meet me. Ok, cool. Well here is my problem. I have sent out my resume to another company (call it B, and in marketing) that is 10 minutes, if that, from my home. They seem very interested and asked me to come in yesterday to show me around and meet me. They informed yesterday before coming in that this was not a for sure decision from them because their hiring manager would not be in until next week.

Company B is the job that I really want. Obviously it's great because it is so close to my home, but it's in the same field that I have gone to school for. I applied for Company A because my husband is in the military and I have had such a hard time finding a job in the field that I have a degree in, that I was just applying anywhere because I am just tired of sitting at home (there is only so much cleaning that one can do).

Would it be wrong to ask Company A for some time to think about their offer (pay really plays a factor considering the commute, and so are the work hours), and then call Company B at the beginning of next week? Do I remain honest with them and tell them that I am waiting for Company B or that I have been to other interviews (which I have)?

I know the saying "a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush", and I totally get it, but I do feel comfortable about Company B, but I don't want to completely pass up A just in case, because lets face it sometimes our "comfortable" feelings are wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 09:51 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,590,948 times
Depending on the field, I think it's acceptable during an interview to say that you are mulling over another offer. But it depends on the field. Frankly, I'd take A and then be ruthless about it. If you get a job with Company B, just jump ship. Unless you sign a contract requiring you to stay with A for a while. It's not a nice thing to do, but in this economy you have to look out for yourself.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:56 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
I'd tell Job A that you need a couple of days to discuss the job offer with your husband, then call Job B to see what their intentions are. Let them know there's an offer on the table, but you'd rather work with them. If they still can't get off their duffs then take the job offer you have.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:04 AM

2 posts, read 3,208 times
Thanks guys! Now, does it come off annoying to contact the company B at the beginning of next week? I'm just so unsure of things since I haven't been able to find work since being married (deployments, relocations, and all that good military stuff).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search