Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 09:55 AM

89 posts, read 291,393 times

Advertisements

I have recently relocated out of state and left a production type job. I have two college degrees and want to get into something in my field- obviously. I was not finding anything and just finished my first week at another manufacturing type job. I am employed through an employment agency who know that type of work I really want to do and at orientation on Monday they said they understand these types of jobs have a lot of turnover- they said just don't be a no call no show if this is not for you- talk to someone. Sooooo.....2 questions:

1) At the interview today do I even say that I have a "temp" job that I've only been at a week? If they say I can start Monday I would...so this leads to question 2...

2) I am not going to give the other job a 2 week notice, they are training me and it's a waste of everyones time to keep training me if I plan on leaving; do I tell the hopeful employer that I can start monday? Would they think it's bad if I don't give my temp job a proper notice?

Agghhhh....I just don't know what to do!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 10:00 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
If you take a new job it doesn't sound like it would be worth adding your current job to your resume. I don't think you need to give them advance notice especially if its a temp job.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:04 AM

653 posts, read 1,803,063 times
No, no need to say anything about this 1 week job. And you're saving them money by not giving notice. Rest assured they lose people in training all the time.

Just get that new job first! Good Luck on the interview.

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
I wouldn't even bother mentioning the temp job if it's only been a week.

1,331 posts, read 1,987,934 times
In my mind, if it is a temp job...both sides know it could come to a abrupt stop at any time...so I would probably not have any issues with not giving a 2 weeks notice.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:06 AM

Thank you all for the input- I greatly appreciate it

Old 08-12-2012, 09:14 AM

So the interview went great and they want me to come this next week sometime during the day just to watch and see the organization in action. The problem is that my "temp" job that I hate is 6am-430pm and this potential new job says to come at 10am to follow around. Well I didn't tell the new job about the temp job....and I hate lying to the temp job and missing work on my 2nd week even though I do not have intentions of staying there long....I hate having a guilty conscious! I was told by someone to tell the "temp" job that since I applied, got hired quickly that I still have "prior obligations" that I need to tend to this week. Any suggestions on how to professionally get out of the temp job a few hours during the day to go to the hopeful new one again?!

I hate that I feel so guilty!!

Old 08-12-2012, 09:31 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
You feel guilty because you have work ethic and frankly, compassion. I think you are putting more guilt on yourself than necessary but, understand it. They DID give you a chance, hard to then turn around and act like this, isn't it?

I don't know what you should do. Honestly, how do you know if you have the job? You don't. You could lose on both. You could win, too.

All you can do is tell them. That's really all you can do. I don't see any other way around it. You can't call in sick every single day for a week. You can't make up some lie about why you need to be gone at certain hours.

You just have to tell them. It IS a risk...but you need to be upfront about it. It sucks to be in that position....

That's my take on it. Maybe someone else will have something better that doesn't involve some elaborate made up garbage like some things I've seen on these threads.

Best of luck to you, OP. I mean that.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:36 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,426,451 times
You can say at the last minute you have a "family emergency" or something where you have "no choice" but to miss work to tend to and you don't know how long you will be gone. Just keep it as professional as possible with the temp agency and explain very little and the key is of course, to miss as little work as you can. Never say too much, just keep it simple and believable.

Just keep the excuse to leave your temp look "legitimate," nothing that seems "flimsy" as they might let you go.

Good luck on your interview or visit, not sure what it is.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:57 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest1628 View Post
So the interview went great and they want me to come this next week sometime during the day just to watch and see the organization in action. The problem is that my "temp" job that I hate is 6am-430pm and this potential new job says to come at 10am to follow around. Well I didn't tell the new job about the temp job....and I hate lying to the temp job and missing work on my 2nd week even though I do not have intentions of staying there long....I hate having a guilty conscious! I was told by someone to tell the "temp" job that since I applied, got hired quickly that I still have "prior obligations" that I need to tend to this week. Any suggestions on how to professionally get out of the temp job a few hours during the day to go to the hopeful new one again?!

I hate that I feel so guilty!!
Either call in sick at the temp job, or go into work between 6 and 8am and then tell the boss you are having major digestive issues and you need to go home sick. take a bathroom break or two in case anyone is watching.

then go to the 10am follow-along. Realize the 10am follow-along is an interview. Any comments you say or any questions you have will be evaluated when they are making the hiring decision.

It is possible they dont offer you a job. So STAY MUM at the temp job about the 10am follow along.

At my jobs, I had several co-workers that suddenly had back problems and had to go to the MD several times over a few week period. what a coincidence that suddenly both those folks resigned because they found new jobs. The back problems and multiple MD visits were really interivews. Everyone knew it once the resignations came.

Nobody says a word that they are interviewing until the day they put in their resignation. You do the same. CYA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search