Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 04:48 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,425,425 times

Advertisements

It depends. It is a numbers game and also how desperate you are when applying. Also, would you relocate to another city and so on? Are you entry level, mid-career or considered "senior" in management?

Don't limit to just applying online. Go in person, talk to people, you have to be proactive. Find job is often about timing, numbers game and what you bring to the table for a potential employer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 04:56 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,000,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleylake View Post
It depends. It is a numbers game and also how desperate you are when applying. Also, would you relocate to another city and so on? Are you entry level, mid-career or considered "senior" in management?

Don't limit to just applying online. Go in person, talk to people, you have to be proactive. Find job is often about timing, numbers game and what you bring to the table for a potential employer.
If finding a job is about timing then why are you suggesting the OP relocates? Relocation is not a option for many due to little savings so I don't know why everyone is acting like moving is the magical solution.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:14 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,425,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
If finding a job is about timing then why are you suggesting the OP relocates? Relocation is not a option for many due to little savings so I don't know why everyone is acting like moving is the magical solution.
Because someone is asking how many jobs do you apply for and I gave reasons why some people cast their net very wide. It largely depends on one's own situation. Moving doesn't work for everyone, but usually out of college and not tied down to family or a mortgage gives you more options than it does for the over the "mid-career" crowd.

Sometimes timing in finding a job is everything when you apply and you have no idea as an applicant until much later.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:42 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,070 times
Quote:

Maybe the person lives in an economically depressed area.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:37 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,937,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Or should i be spending more time networking, finding a recruiter, etc... and not spend so much time on sheer volume of applications?

Thanks!
Yes. Get a library book about finding the hidden job market or about more effective job searching methods for a more efficient job search. They get tons of applications to every advertised job. It's best to not limit yourself to searching for advertised jobs.

Have you used your school's alumni network or alumni services at all ? Have you talked to people you know only casually about your job search ?

Times are tough. It is helpful to think outside the box & try to do something different from what all the other job seekers are doing.

I've read that to more effectively search for a job, you need to talk to people, not just send out applications to automated job advertisements.

berkeleylake has it right.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:51 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,073,305 times
ONE, one you are qualified for, is available when you apply, and the person doing the hiring likes your application.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:37 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,558,981 times
Even I think I do a stellar job on my resume, I was getting about 2 interviews, maybe 10-20 recruiter calls per 100 applications.

On the hiring side, I just review 100+ resumes, only 2 I considered to be good.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:54 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Yes. Get a library book about finding the hidden job market or about more effective job searching methods for a more efficient job search. They get tons of applications to every advertised job. It's best to not limit yourself to searching for advertised jobs.

Have you used your school's alumni network or alumni services at all ? Have you talked to people you know only casually about your job search ?

Times are tough. It is helpful to think outside the box & try to do something different from what all the other job seekers are doing.

I've read that to more effectively search for a job, you need to talk to people, not just send out applications to automated job advertisements.

berkeleylake has it right.
The Hidden Job market only works if your connections knows someone very powerful. For example, this company I want to work does not hire unemployed applicants and since I don't know anyone who is friends with someone important at that company, there is no way for me to get in the door.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:28 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,073,305 times
Quote:
The Hidden Job market only works if your connections knows someone very powerful. For example, this company I want to work does not hire unemployed applicants and since I don't know anyone who is friends with someone important at that company, there is no way for me to get in the door.
So you are not going to try any other place, just wait until your UI runs out.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:31 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
So you are not going to try any other place, just wait until your UI runs out.
I was just giving an example to show that you can't attack the hidden job market without your friends knowing someone important. Of course I moved on because they don't hire unemployed applicants
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search