Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 10:52 AM

778 posts, read 2,322,243 times

Advertisements

In a bit of a dilemma, and hoping someone can help me out.

This morning I got a call from a company in my area much larger than mine wanting to set up an interview time. I had actually forgotten that I even submitted to them my resume. I was contacted by a recruiter earlier this spring and had given it to them.

To make a long story short, I work for a small firm in the oil and gas industry dealing in regulatory affairs, leasing and aquisition of mineral rights, and title issues with mineral rights. This position will consist of dealing with exclusively regulatory affairs. I, quite frankly, have no idea why I am even qualified for this position, given the fact I woulld be working in an area I have at best only slightly familiar with. More importantly, I really want to deal with more, not less, regulatory stuff. Not to make this into a political argument, and I'm the furthest thing from some anti-government zealot, but dealing with the federal agencies that oversee oil and gas has been nothing short of a nightmare (and getting worse). That's probably the reason why they are clamoring for me so bad.

I don't hate my current job, but I have been here 4 years. This is the first job I've had since I've graduated college, and I was actually an intern for a year while still in school. I know I will want to move on, and really only submitted my resume to get some "feelers" and some interview practice. Now that I've actually got an interview and they seem very interested in me, the problem is a) I can go in there, do my best, but probably not get it and then my name is mud with this company in the future, a very large employer in this area, or b) actually get an offer for a job that truthfully I really do not want, and look like an idiot when I turn it down.

Should I bother interviewing with this firm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 11:17 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,477,372 times
Some companies' HR will post "fake" jobs just to keep their interviewers' skills up to date. No harm in doing so as long as they're not strongly connected to your target industry.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:30 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times
As a hiring manager, I find it incredibly offensive that you'd even consider wasting someone's time. We don't all play games with applicants. Some of us try to make the experience as painless as possible for both applicants and ourselves, and don't have the time to waste on looky-loos.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:31 AM

934 posts, read 1,938,105 times
My story...

This last job-hunting go-round for me, I got a call from a HR tech at home asking to set up a phone interview (other end of the state) for a position I had applied for ~60 days before. In my haste to do other things, and due to the fact I had 3 other apps in the pipeline at the same place at the time, I got the positions confused and thought that it was for a job I had since lost enthusiasm for. So, I got ready to tell her I was no longer interested.

Then, I thought, "Why not? I can always use the practice and if nothing else, get better at interviewing, network opp, I could find out more that would make this THE job, plus there may be a 'hidden' job there I will be selling myself for." So, I set it up.

On the appointed day, I went through my records about an hour before the call and realized my mistake - this was actually a position I DID want, in fact it was my top priority. I was very, very glad I had not nixed the interview on the previous call.

An hour later, I had the phone interview - and I got the job.

YMMV.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:46 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,738,262 times
Personally I don't think there is a problem with it. You may go in and find it is a great job and want to take it!

Old 08-22-2012, 12:29 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,051,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
In a bit of a dilemma, and hoping someone can help me out.

This morning I got a call from a company in my area much larger than mine wanting to set up an interview time. I had actually forgotten that I even submitted to them my resume. I was contacted by a recruiter earlier this spring and had given it to them.

To make a long story short, I work for a small firm in the oil and gas industry dealing in regulatory affairs, leasing and aquisition of mineral rights, and title issues with mineral rights. This position will consist of dealing with exclusively regulatory affairs. I, quite frankly, have no idea why I am even qualified for this position, given the fact I woulld be working in an area I have at best only slightly familiar with. More importantly, I really want to deal with more, not less, regulatory stuff. Not to make this into a political argument, and I'm the furthest thing from some anti-government zealot, but dealing with the federal agencies that oversee oil and gas has been nothing short of a nightmare (and getting worse). That's probably the reason why they are clamoring for me so bad.

I don't hate my current job, but I have been here 4 years. This is the first job I've had since I've graduated college, and I was actually an intern for a year while still in school. I know I will want to move on, and really only submitted my resume to get some "feelers" and some interview practice. Now that I've actually got an interview and they seem very interested in me, the problem is a) I can go in there, do my best, but probably not get it and then my name is mud with this company in the future, a very large employer in this area, or b) actually get an offer for a job that truthfully I really do not want, and look like an idiot when I turn it down.

Should I bother interviewing with this firm?
If you're truly not interested in the job, it's simply not right to go forward with the interview and waste the recruiter's time. However, if you think it may possibly lead to a different position with the company, then you may want to go for it. Never go to an interview just for the practice, though.

Regarding item b above, I highly doubt any company would think poorly of you for turning down a job offer. They don't know what other irons you have in the fire. I would imagine they would think you got an even better offer from someone else, which is certainly not a strike against you. I turned down a great job offer once, and a couple of years later the president of the company tracked me down and asked if I'd reconsider working for the company. The new offer was quite lucrative, but I still felt it would not be a good fit, so I turned it down.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:48 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,932,465 times
I always go on interviews. Period. However, I am also open to new opportunities and always open to making new connections. Some of my favorite jobs have come from avenues I might not have considered before. Even if you don't like this particular position, it might open the door for you to get another, more enjoyable position in the company.

Also, sometimes the culture can more than make up for the work. I once went on an interview in a field I didn't think I'd enjoy at all. The people were great, I hit it off with the manager and, despite the fact that I didn't necessarily like the actual job, the people/flexibility/benefits/liberal leave policies, etc more than made up for it.

The bottom line is I'd go in with a great attitude and an open mind.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:10 PM

778 posts, read 2,322,243 times
Thanks for the advice, folks. Really good stuff.

To add something, my issue is with the position, not the company. In fact, I would really love to work for this company. We have dealt with them as clients with my current company, and they are always a joy to deal with. I guess that's why I'm so concerned. I don't want to sully myself with these people should things not work out, hence why I am so cautious about doing this.

Last edited by #1soonerfan; 08-22-2012 at 01:19 PM.. Reason: add

Old 08-22-2012, 01:11 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,268,769 times
If you have no intention of taking the job, don't go. If there is the possibility they might say something of interest that would make you want to switch jobs, go ahead and go. In short, if you have already made up your mind not to accept an offered job before you even go, you are wasting everybody's time.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:33 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,558,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Some companies' HR will post "fake" jobs just to keep their interviewers' skills up to date. No harm in doing so as long as they're not strongly connected to your target industry.
This is crap!

Some recruiters may do this but not a company's HR department. They have no time for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search