Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 09:33 AM

1,791 posts, read 3,181,461 times

Advertisements

Since i graduated from school, I have applied for approximately 450 jobs that i have been realistically qualified for. I have had one interview.

How many resumes are other people sending out before you start getting a decent number of interviews? Even in this economy, 450 applications seems like a high number to yield only one interview. Are other people out there applying for thousands of jobs? Or should i be spending more time networking, finding a recruiter, etc... and not spend so much time on sheer volume of applications?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 09:35 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
You only need to apply to one or two more jobs than it takes for you to land a position you desire.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:38 AM

399 posts, read 705,202 times
I was unemployed for 16 months and I must have filled out at least a couple of thousand applications and sent my resume. This economy is bad and you have to keep plugging away. Wishing you luck on your interview and a job find!

Old 08-16-2012, 09:46 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
you are doing something wrong then. are you just blindly submitting the same resume to each job ad you find posted on whatever crappy internet search engine?

Old 08-16-2012, 09:50 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
You should tailor your resume to the job. Meaning that it highlights the qualities you possess that will translate to the job.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:01 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,671,795 times
What field are you in? I've never kept count but I doubt I've applied to that many jobs in my entire career. I'm in IT and the jobs usually have very specific skill sets so I would never be able to find that many jobs in which I qualify. With that many applications, are you writing cover letters for each?

Old 08-16-2012, 10:24 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,880 times
It's quality over quantity. Rather than mass emailing a general resume to any and every job you see, you should tailor your resume and cover letter for specific jobs that you know that you'd want to do. 450 does seem high. About two weeks ago, I tailored my resume/cover letter to five specific jobs in the field I'm working in currently. Out of those five positions I applied to, I had two interviews. Again, it is quality over quantity. Go over the job descriptions with a fine tooth comb and draw up your resume to reflect how you exemplify the qualities that the employer is looking for for that particular job. For example, if the job calls for someone with good analytical skills, point out in your resume how you have used your analytical skills to complete tasks or projects in your previous roles, whether at a job or during school.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:31 AM

1,791 posts, read 3,181,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
It's quality over quantity. Rather than mass emailing a general resume to any and every job you see, you should tailor your resume and cover letter for specific jobs that you know that you'd want to do. 450 does seem high. About two weeks ago, I tailored my resume/cover letter to five specific jobs in the field I'm working in currently. Out of those five positions I applied to, I had two interviews. Again, it is quality over quantity. Go over the job descriptions with a fine tooth comb and draw up your resume to reflect how you exemplify the qualities that the employer is looking for for that particular job. For example, if the job calls for someone with good analytical skills, point out in your resume how you have used your analytical skills to complete tasks or projects in your previous roles, whether at a job or during school.
Thanks, these are good thoughts! Two out of five with your approach? Wow. That's great.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:46 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,188 times
well i've applied to about 450 or maybe more. i can't remember, and also have had only 1 interview..7 months ago

Old 08-16-2012, 04:00 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Since i graduated from school, I have applied for approximately 450 jobs that i have been realistically qualified for. I have had one interview.

How many resumes are other people sending out before you start getting a decent number of interviews? Even in this economy, 450 applications seems like a high number to yield only one interview. Are other people out there applying for thousands of jobs? Or should i be spending more time networking, finding a recruiter, etc... and not spend so much time on sheer volume of applications?

Thanks!

Since August 1st I applied to 82 jobs and gotten 5 call for interviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search