Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2012, 02:42 AM

24 posts, read 96,547 times

Advertisements

God I wish I was having this kinda luck when I was still unemployed.

I just started working at a Petco, part time right now, but work is work and I'm still on unemployment benefits, but I've started receiving emails and phone calls from other places I had applied at asking me to come in for interviews or saying that they are interested, you all know the deal.

I'm not really sure how to handle the situation. One of the places is actually a Ralph's in the same parking lot as the Petco I now work at, funny enough.

Should I be responding and saying thanks but I've already accepted an offer elsewhere? Should I accept the interview and see if maybe it is a better deal? Wouldn't leaving a place immediately after being hired just because another opportunity came up look really bad on my resume when applying for future positions?

I mean the places that have contacted me were in one case a bit too far for me to travel, or maybe in an industry I am a bit shaky with (one was for a server position at an Olive Garden for example) or in the same industry but maybe not as much to my liking as the job I took on (such as working in a grocery store when I actually like the idea of working in a pet store and being around animals).

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 04:06 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
If it is something you are really interested in, go for it! If you end up getting another job, just leave PETCO off your resume. You have to do what is best for you.

Your post sounds as if you are already enjoying your job, which is great!!! Congrats.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:47 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
Many companies have a 3-month probation period. They will let you go, if it is a bad fit. At low level retail, I would not have slightest problem leaving. If both jobs are part-time with different schedules, I would consider taking both positions. Your commute would be a short walk to the other store.

If you are at a job for less than 3 months, I would leave it off your resume for future jobs.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:51 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Many companies have a 3-month probation period. They will let you go, if it is a bad fit. At low level retail, I would not have slightest problem leaving. If both jobs are part-time with different schedules, I would consider taking both positions. Your commute would be a short walk to the other store.

If you are at a job for less than 3 months, I would leave it off your resume for future jobs.
Good advice here. Every bit of it. ^^^^

I will add another thing...IF you choose not to go forward with the interview, or if you turn down an offer, keep the lines of communication open if things change in the future.

Keep the emails and tel#s of the person that contacted you. Be very professional and polite about turning them down. Tell them you are excited about a future opportunity with them but you don't want to burn your bridges at your new job, since you just started. They will understand and respect you for this.

I turned down a 2nd offer on the first week of a new position because I didn't want to burn bridges and resign immediately. I would have messed up a project due date by leaving. The place that I turned down was OK with this and they wanted to talk to be about opportunities in the future. The HR person said sometimes timing doesn't work out on the first offer and often the timing works out months later.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:09 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post

I agree.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:08 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
If PetCo is part-time, I would go for the Ralph's interview as well and talk to them about starting out part-time or working with your PetCo schedule. If you can swing it, you could have two jobs. If it gets to be too much, give two weeks notice for the one you don't like as much.

Personally, I think the Ralph's job (I'm assuming it's a grocery store?) would be a better job. When you work at a grocery store you can often save money on food - either via your employee discount or by watching for day-old or expired items, good deals on sales, coupons, etc. I used to work at a natural foods store and would buy perfectly good organic/grass-fed dairy and meat that they simply couldn't sell because the expiration date said it expired that day. Or produce that was totally fine but just looked ugly or something, or day old bread, etc. Employees could buy it for like a couple of bucks - so I would do that, in addition to our 20% employee discount, and we ate very well for super cheap! )

Anyway - you might benefit more from having a job at a grocery store than a pet store, is what I'm trying to say.

Good luck!

Old 09-18-2012, 11:57 PM

2,619 posts, read 3,150,063 times
Weigh the options carefully. I got an asst mgr's job at a mall location. Paid very little but lots of promises. 1st day or 2 there, a scrap metal co. called about my app there. I had already taken tests & they wanted to talk to me again. I turned them down as I did have something & didn't want to back out of that. Looking back, I should have talked to metal co. My hours would have allowed me to meet them outside of my work hours, no risk at all. I spent 3 years with the store chain & moved up a little but never got any decent pay or benefits. Most managers there were retired military men who needed something to do & get out of the house. They would work for practically nothing & that kept pay scales pretty low.

Jobs are ever harder to find. You should always work hard for your bosses & do your best but you can't afford to turn down opportunities either. Also, it's a good idea to network as much as possible & tune in to the grapevines to find out if some places are having troubles. Notice whether a place has high turnover or poor customer relations.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:06 AM

229 posts, read 423,918 times
If you like working at the pet store, I suggest keeping it. Could turn into more than part-time and who knows, maybe you could even get promoted. If you want to work 2 jobs, that is an option. If you end up taking another job and quitting the one you're at, I just would not put it on the resume or application. No one needs to know. I'll let you in on a little secret, most jobs of that type (I know I've had many) do not call your past jobs, references, none of it. I just got offered a job at the Marriott Courtyard right by my house. They were all jobs I had had, just different dates and made up numbers. There was not one good phone # on my application. Just saying. I'm going to take the drug test tomorrow. The only thing most jobs want to know is if you're a criminal.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:54 AM

2,619 posts, read 3,150,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txaquarius View Post
If you like working at the pet store, I suggest keeping it. Could turn into more than part-time and who knows, maybe you could even get promoted. If you want to work 2 jobs, that is an option. If you end up taking another job and quitting the one you're at, I just would not put it on the resume or application. No one needs to know. I'll let you in on a little secret, most jobs of that type (I know I've had many) do not call your past jobs, references, none of it. I just got offered a job at the Marriott Courtyard right by my house. They were all jobs I had had, just different dates and made up numbers. There was not one good phone # on my application. Just saying. I'm going to take the drug test tomorrow. The only thing most jobs want to know is if you're a criminal.
Good advice but please do not make up bogus phone #'s or other info. You were lucky that time. Employers often do check references. I hired people for the mall store & checked references, even for those minimum wage jobs. someone giving bogus info would lose his chance then & there. I already skipped over about 1/2 the applicants, as their apps were illegible.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:31 AM

229 posts, read 423,918 times
I realize I am taking a chance, but if I put the actual dates of the jobs I've had, no one would ever hire me. This way, if they are not going to check, which they usually don't, I have a good chance. If they do check, I have no chance. It's a risk. I am planning on staying at the job I am about to get though. I need at least one good reference. I actually hope to stay there for quite a while. It is 1 1/2 miles from my house and A big company w/room for advancement. Hopefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search