Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 07:22 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,221,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It sounds like Cristo666 does have a privileged background afterall.
The vast majority of people in the US are healthy enough to join the military. In fact, you might say that all people born in the US (or any country in the west) have a privileged background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Yeah. I was interested, but with a chronic health condition and mental illness... couldn't join. Now, if I could join the military as a civilian meaning clerical or desk work... I would sign up in a heart beat. But everything I've seen even with clerical, you have to join the military as a soldier.
It depends what you have. There are plenty of people that have gotten waivers to join the military.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Good luck with that. The 1% earn $340k per year minimum. That is a nice salary (or earning on capital), but not everybody gets there.
I have a pretty solid plan. I will need some luck, but don't we all? I won't look back on my life and say I didn't try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 11:27 AM

2 posts, read 3,587 times
I have a 5 year old felony for theft and I am having a very difficult time finding a job. There are a lot of warehouse, but it is hard to get a job there with no experience, especially being a female. Even the temporary employment agencies are requesting a background check and experience. I would have been hired by two retailers already, but "corporate" denied my background check. These "corporate" "nay" sayers will probably never meet me, and have no idea of the kind of person I am. I have one charge and I was guilty by association. I would NEVER steal from anyone. It is really beginning to wear on me as a person and affecting my perseverance with my continued job search

Old 03-12-2015, 08:25 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,425,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Had to rep you again.
Nurses are getting credit checks now too.
What does good credit have to do with taking care of a sick person?
Luckily,some states are barred from looking at your credit history.
I completely understand criminal and backround checks,but credit checks?
In recent years, nurses have increasingly been subject to scrutiny because of videotaped patient property disappearances.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:13 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,446,439 times
I had a friend who ended up with a felony after a bar fight. Luckily he was well connected enough so that he could still get jobs through friends. If you have a felony, you may as well start your own business to be honest. Unfortunately here in America, those who commit crimes are ostracized to the point that they return to a life of crime, unless of course if your a politician, CEO, or cop

Old 03-12-2015, 10:51 PM

659 posts, read 941,371 times
Even handling money - I don't see the point of a Credit Check.
There ARE ethical, honest people out there who unfortunately has a low score that wouldn't even dream of stealing money, mishandling company's funds, etc.

For example, look at me. I have a low credit score because I never applied for a credit card to build up my credit, I went to school with student loans and it's been difficult for me to find stable jobs to pay off my loans. Defering my loans over and over tends to bring down your score too.

Does this mean that I'm a bad person, or that once I get into a financial services field I would mishandle company money or steal? No. I've never stolen anything in my life. Then there's people like my little brother who was quiet the little thief when he was younger (never got caught) and he has a near perfect credit score, credit cards, and leases on his cars.

The difference between him and I is that he has a stable job now, but he got that through word of mouth amongst his church buddies. If he were to move out of his community and applied to a job on his own, he may or may not get hired since a few years back, his former boss forced him to sign a document alleging he stole thousands of dollars, he's probably flagged in the system (though I'm not sure, I don't check his background).

My point is, my brother has massive debts, a stable job to pay it off slowly, but is more unethical than I am. Then there's me, whose ONLY debt are student loans (cars and phones for example, is paid off), and probably more ethical than him. But alas, that's not how credit checks see you. They immediately ASSume that any bad score you have means you're horrible with money.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:06 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,446,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiya View Post
Even handling money - I don't see the point of a Credit Check.
There ARE ethical, honest people out there who unfortunately has a low score that wouldn't even dream of stealing money, mishandling company's funds, etc.
I dont think they credit check you because their worried you'll steal money. The only job I've had credit checks in are those that require me to hold a company credit card which totally makes sense.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:41 PM

2 posts, read 3,180 times
I applied to JP Morgan Chase and was totally unaware of a misdemeanor that happened in 2006...driving while liscense were suspended and I had given an incorrect name, but before the officer arrested me, I told him that my license were suspended and my real name. Paid my tickets and paid my drivers responsibility fees for the state of Michigan. I've had several jobs since then, several background checks and this had never come up until now in 2015. I was in shock to even know that I was convicted of something that I paid for and wasn't told that it would carry as a misdemeanor. So as fast as Chase offered me the job, they declined me stating that I lied on my application by not stating that I had a misdemeanor AND I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW THAT I DID! I am so lost and hurt behind this. Its just a good thing that I didn't tell my current employer that I was quitting. I really wanted the job at Chase, it paid more of course and I really felt that it was a great opportunity for me as well. And it really sucks that some people can have convictions and not even know it until years later and there's nothing that can be done.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,180 times
I need help bad

Old 04-14-2015, 09:03 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,645,768 times
A recruiter got me an opening for a contract paralegal at the Justice Department. They were interested because my skills and education background were a match and I was qualified. Before even getting an interview, I had to consent to a credit check to get a clearance required for the job.

They sent me a letter in the mail saying I had bad debt and couldnt pass the screening for the clearance. This happens before I even get a chance to interview or explain the debt is associated with college tuition, not irresponsible spending. It seemed very unfair to be treated like worse than a felon. The jailbirds come out and there are programs for them where they get these good government jobs out of mercy in DC through a program, not because theyre most qualified. It really hits me the wrong way that I lived right, made what I thought was a smart investment at the time with what information I had, and was punished and locked out of a good opportunity for it, whereas jailbirds are getting government work handed to them for being criminals.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:39 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,024,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBooh107 View Post
I applied to JP Morgan Chase and was totally unaware of a misdemeanor that happened in 2006...driving while liscense were suspended and I had given an incorrect name, but before the officer arrested me, I told him that my license were suspended and my real name. Paid my tickets and paid my drivers responsibility fees for the state of Michigan. I've had several jobs since then, several background checks and this had never come up until now in 2015. I was in shock to even know that I was convicted of something that I paid for and wasn't told that it would carry as a misdemeanor. So as fast as Chase offered me the job, they declined me stating that I lied on my application by not stating that I had a misdemeanor AND I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW THAT I DID! I am so lost and hurt behind this. Its just a good thing that I didn't tell my current employer that I was quitting. I really wanted the job at Chase, it paid more of course and I really felt that it was a great opportunity for me as well. And it really sucks that some people can have convictions and not even know it until years later and there's nothing that can be done.
With the bold there's just no way you couldn't have known there would be a record. You're informed at the point of arrest which is required by law. If it wasn't a misdemeanor you wouldn't be arrested - for example, failure to carry registration in the car which is just a ticket offense (unless the cop is feeling charitable and can verify that the car is at least current on registration).

Paying for tickets and fees doesn't delete the arrest from the record. Only a judge can do that.

Guarantee you that with the other companies they likely only care about felonies, not misdemeanors. They might ask about misdemeanors but their check only really cares about felonies.

Banks in particular are more strict about who they allow to handle money. They don't want any criminal records nor do they want bad credit. In other words they want people who really don't need a job because they're in a good spot. Same with their credit lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search