Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 04:10 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,491,665 times

Advertisements

The only people who have problems with credit checks are those with bad credit. By and large those with bad credit got there because of irresponsibility, not overdue medical bills. Let's not kid ourselves. Even past due medical bills can usually be attributed to irresponsiblity. In the small percentage that aren't, why would companies care? It's a cheap way to whittle down the applicant pool.

To answer the original question, I was denied a job at the TSA back in '08 due to some disorderly conduct charges I forgot to report when I was in college.

Last edited by YaFace; 10-15-2012 at 04:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 06:38 PM

644 posts, read 1,145,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
The only people who have problems with credit checks are those with bad credit. By and large those with bad credit got there because of irresponsibility, not overdue medical bills. Let's not kid ourselves. Even past due medical bills can usually be attributed to irresponsiblity. In the small percentage that aren't, why would companies care? It's a cheap way to whittle down the applicant pool.

To answer the original question, I was denied a job at the TSA back in '08 due to some disorderly conduct charges I forgot to report when I was in college.
You can't speak for everybody with bad credit. I don't have great credit because I got into debt with my education and I got sick when I was unemployed. You can't always help your circumstances and denying people a job based on past experiences will always keep people where they are and will do nothing to help the economy of America if we keep punishing people. I can understand if somebody got out of jail for murder or robbing a bank, but most people I know didn't do that, but they had something as simple as student loan debt or medical bills that piled on while they fell on hard times.

I see a lot of judgements being made on here to discredit the unemployed or underemployed on here.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:37 PM

415 posts, read 616,115 times
My dad knew of quite a few men and women who had their security clearance revoked in the military due to developing gambling problems while stationed at Nellis (If you have no idea where Nellis is, I will give you two clues: Steve Wynn. Elvis).

One of my brother's friends works for the IRS where filing for a bankruptcy, even if you really are broke, is grounds for termination. Said friend has seen many fired for really bad credit, foreclosures, and bankruptcies.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:34 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,166,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
You can't speak for everybody with bad credit. I don't have great credit because I got into debt with my education and I got sick when I was unemployed. You can't always help your circumstances and denying people a job based on past experiences will always keep people where they are and will do nothing to help the economy of America if we keep punishing people. I can understand if somebody got out of jail for murder or robbing a bank, but most people I know didn't do that, but they had something as simple as student loan debt or medical bills that piled on while they fell on hard times.

I see a lot of judgements being made on here to discredit the unemployed or underemployed on here.
right, but an employer doesn't care about any of that. its not their job to help the economy of america. it is their job to make money efficiently for their company.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:00 PM

644 posts, read 1,145,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
right, but an employer doesn't care about any of that. its not their job to help the economy of america. it is their job to make money efficiently for their company.
I don't think you get the point. Employers are PART OF THE PROBLEM in this recession.

It's not about what an employer cares for, but if this country is going to get back on track as far as jobs go, then we need to protect consumers and applicants more. If they are going to get rid of everybody out of the applicant pool, then who will be eligible for jobs then? They can get rid of anybody for any reason, credit shouldn't be one of them. Having bad credit isn't a crime.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:48 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,639,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exscapegoat View Post
I agree, unless the person is going to be handling money, it's irrelevant.
You don't have to be handling money to be a risk.

My past experiences has included payroll and even in HR where they are responsible for sending over annual bonuses, performance bonuses, etc.

The payroll department has access to SSN, work history, address history, date of birth, routing numbers and checking account numbers, salary, etc.

HR who worked with payroll could have access to all of the above PLUS transmitting the amounts of pay, etc.

Finance can be the same way-- even at the lower levels for someone answering the phone at the bank. Even customer service for an airline, hotel, wireless provider, etc. Someone is giving you your credit numbers with all of the billing addresses and even the security code on a phone call.

They are NOT handling cash, but they have access to all kinds of information that could be used to perform fraud.

Yes, someone with good credit could have the sudden incentive to try and commit fraud and someone with bad credit may never dream of it, but the company is doing what it can to limit its exposure and liability for its own insurance providers and bonding insurance policies.
A credit check and background check is not going to eliminate everyone, but it is something that the company can do so that they can discard those who may be incented to

Old 10-29-2012, 06:54 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,639,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
I don't think you get the point. Employers are PART OF THE PROBLEM in this recession.

It's not about what an employer cares for, but if this country is going to get back on track as far as jobs go, then we need to protect consumers and applicants more. If they are going to get rid of everybody out of the applicant pool, then who will be eligible for jobs then? They can get rid of anybody for any reason, credit shouldn't be one of them. Having bad credit isn't a crime.
Look--- I have had bad credit.

And to be clear, I got into way too much debt that I could ever really pay off while I was poor. Period. That is irresponsibility.-- Yes, I went through unemployment, yes I had someone in my family who had bad medical problems, but the fact remains is that I made the decision to use more money than I had or could pay off.

Now, I don't have those problems. I worked long and hard (multiple jobs) to get out from under water and even though I make 6 figures, I still live like I did when I made 50-60k.

Most people actually have decent credit and not bad credit.

A business is not responsible to be a charitable institution and hire just anyone. They have rights where they can hire for the most part whom they want. If the business does not want to take on the potential exposure of hiring someone who does not make good credit decisions regardless of the reason-- then that is their prerogative.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:01 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post

No. I don't have bad credit and I have an issue with credit checks. I completely disagree with them. We are applying for jobs, NOT credit.

The reason they do credit checks is because they think that if you have bad credit, it means you are irresponsible and will not be responsible enough for their job. That's all it is.

Of course, these buffoons never take in to consideration that people have had accidents or illnesses that took everything they had including their good credit.

It's just another way for employers to discriminate.

As for your, "by and large" claim, got any evidence to back that up?

Old 10-29-2012, 12:03 PM

312 posts, read 798,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
A business is not responsible to be a charitable institution and hire just anyone. They have rights where they can hire for the most part whom they want. If the business does not want to take on the potential exposure of hiring someone who does not make good credit decisions regardless of the reason-- then that is their prerogative.
If the economy is to improve, businesses DO have to accept the larger responsibility of providing employment to the masses. Unless you want to expand the welfare state. Right now there's no political will to do that, people are whining that the government does too much for the unemployed as it is.

Credit checks should be outlawed in the hiring process with exceptions ONLY for jobs in the financial, banking and maybe retail sectors, where the applicant will be dealing directly with cash and/or sensitive personal/financial customer and/or company information as a clear and specific part of the job responsibilities. There are other ways to determine if an applicant is "responsible" and qualified to perform the job duties required.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:19 PM

810 posts, read 1,763,654 times
Bbc said it perfectly (sorry it won't let me rep you again).
I completely understand if your job will be handling money but if not then they should have zero reason to look at my credit, just criminal background as well as my performance. I had perfect credit, now it is not because of several things some beyond my control.
When I had a good paying job things were great now without money coming in I'm unable to pay bills. It seems like a vicious cycle I'm stuck in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search