Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 03:27 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,892,688 times

Advertisements

We don't need questionnaires and trick questions to figure out who uses drugs. We just tell people up front we will test you, and the job is contingent upon passing the test. I guess we think the people who are actively using will select themselves out of the process. Why go through the whole hiring process when you know you are positive?

I never said that "everyone" who comes for a job does drugs, or everyone in our industry does drugs. We cannot and will not adjust our standards and allows drug abusers. These positions involve handing prescription medications, driving clients to appointments and stores, and keeping disabled people safe. Those things and drug use don't mix well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 03:35 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,739,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
We don't need questionnaires and trick questions to figure out who uses drugs. We just tell people up front we will test you, and the job is contingent upon passing the test. I guess we think the people who are actively using will select themselves out of the process. Why go through the whole hiring process when you know you are positive?

I never said that "everyone" who comes for a job does drugs, or everyone in our industry does drugs. We cannot and will not adjust our standards and allows drug abusers. These positions involve handing prescription medications, driving clients to appointments and stores, and keeping disabled people safe. Those things and drug use don't mix well.
It's your job as the employer to eliminate potential drug users from the hiring process before they get to the expensive drug test stage.

If you don't want to do that, fine. But don't come here and whine about the waste of time and money.

I'm sick of the "blame the unemployed" crap. Not all unemployed people are lazy drug users (I've never done drugs in my life). If you can't possibly find qualified employees who won't do drugs with officially ~8% unemployed, there's a problem with your hiring standards and procedures.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:54 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,892,688 times
Um, wow.

I think I specifically said that I don't see all the unemployed as being in this category. You seem very defensive.

Secondly, I'm not the person doing the interviews (my dept is full and has been for some time with zero turnover). I was just the person doing a training today for the new-hires when three had to be asked to leave. Yes, I will agree that the interviewing skills of hiring managers need to improve. But a lot of our lower level managers are pretty new to managing and interviewing. We give them all sorts of training, but it doesn't sink in with all of them so quickly. Also, if we made the hiring process even more conmplicated, like adding more questionnaires and tests, then we'd be accused (like I was earlier) of having hiring processes that are too difficult for applicants to get through. Catch 22.

Also, you can be agreat interviewer with all kinds of clinical skills to spot problems like addiction, and people will still get through the interview okay. A nice character trait a lot of addicts and users have is being able to hide their problem and "play well." Again, that's why we do drug tests.

Like I said, I would think that unemployed people who don't use drugs would be very resentful and angry about these drug users, who give the unemployed a bad name, and who take up interview time and whose useless resumes might nudge yours out of a pile. Be resentful of them; not the employers who want the good people.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Yes, I will agree that the interviewing skills of hiring managers need to improve. But a lot of our lower level managers are pretty new to managing and interviewing. We give them all sorts of training, but it doesn't sink in with all of them so quickly.
Well there's part of your problem. Why doesn't your company address that?

And also, I meant having stringent hiring requirements. Like in a good economy, when the supply for labor is lower than the demand, instead of employers whining about folks not meeting their requirements, they loosen them.

Instead, what your company is doing is like going to a restaurant and order a dish that wasn't very good. Yet instead of going to another restaurant or ordering a different dish, you return BACK to the same restaurant and order the SAME dish hoping it will taste better than the last.

Of course no method will be perfect in eliminating all of the drug users, but what you're suggesting to me is your company isn't trying anything to eliminate the drug users BEFORE they reach the drug testing stage.

And I'm not worried about the drug users as they relate to my unemployment situation, other than the broad brushing. I always follow all of the directions on my application submissions and I would pass any background check/drug test with flying colors.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:06 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,537,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
It's your job as the employer to eliminate potential drug users from the hiring process before they get to the expensive drug test stage.
Just as a matter of clarification, drug tests only help identify potential drug abusers. People who get that far in the system and fail drug tests may really want to work but are unable to use their judgement and curtail their use long enough to pass.

Casual drug users will still slip through the system.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Just as a matter of clarification, drug tests only help identify potential drug abusers. People who get that far in the system and fail drug tests may really want to work but are unable to use their judgement and curtail their use long enough to pass.

Casual drug users will still slip through the system.
But what I don't understand is the whining about people who fail them.

If that's such a big problem for you, do something to fix it. If you can't do that, then deal with it.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:15 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,484,387 times
Quote:
Um, wow.

I think I specifically said that I don't see all the unemployed as being in this category. You seem very defensive.

Secondly, I'm not the person doing the interviews (my dept is full and has been for some time with zero turnover). I was just the person doing a training today for the new-hires when three had to be asked to leave. Yes, I will agree that the interviewing skills of hiring managers need to improve. But a lot of our lower level managers are pretty new to managing and interviewing. We give them all sorts of training, but it doesn't sink in with all of them so quickly. Also, if we made the hiring process even more conmplicated, like adding more questionnaires and tests, then we'd be accused (like I was earlier) of having hiring processes that are too difficult for applicants to get through. Catch 22.

Also, you can be agreat interviewer with all kinds of clinical skills to spot problems like addiction, and people will still get through the interview okay. A nice character trait a lot of addicts and users have is being able to hide their problem and "play well." Again, that's why we do drug tests.

Like I said, I would think that unemployed people who don't use drugs would be very resentful and angry about these drug users, who give the unemployed a bad name, and who take up interview time and whose useless resumes might nudge yours out of a pile. Be resentful of them; not the employers who want the good people.

I would suggest not really replying to the guy who keeps questioning your company. He does this to everyone. I can not recall anything positive from him.

As for your issues Tracy, some people think they can get by with it, while others are usually trying to meet their obligations with unemployment and maybe parole. I am not sure if they have to release why they were not hired, so drug abuse may not worry them.

We usually have one or two people during our hiring processes that do not pass our screenings as well. We have tougher then normal hiring requirements, and in the end we get the candidates we want and have very engaged employees. Is your area of NJ known for drug abuse?

Old 10-09-2012, 06:35 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,016 times
Did the 3 drug failures come from another job or were they unemployed? Addicts will continue to apply for jobs to fill their job application log.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:42 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,392,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
The blame also falls on the companies.

If your hiring process wasn't so stringent, you would be able to find workers who can pass a drug and background tests.

I have no criminal background and other than a little alcohol, I haven't done any drugs.
Say what??? I am thinking that your hatred of all things HR has led you to make a truly ridiculous statement.

Specifically what, exactly, about the HIRING process is too stringent if it is weeding out those who are CURRENTLY using drugs????

Old 10-09-2012, 06:52 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,901,622 times
Probably they think they can beat the test somehow. I once worked in the Oil & Gas industry and can say I sure don't want any addicts working in the same plant. During safety training the instructor said if you do use drugs you are shutting yourself out of some good paying work. Apparently that is not incentive enough for some to quit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search