Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 05:22 PM

801 posts, read 1,104,005 times

Advertisements

I just recently had a conversation with a co-worker who was planning to leave but had not yet given notice. I too have been looking for another opportunity and so we discussed what we might say.

I said that it would essentially be all or nothing with me. I would either say thanks for (paraphrasing my ownself) the opportunity to receive a paycheck and just move on, or let go of a litany of grievances. I still haven't decided what I am going to do. However, I was suprised when the co-worker, who is generally cheerful and more positive than me, told me what she said in her exit interview on her last day.

She just ripped on the lazy, incompetent bosses we report to. This seemed so unlike her, but I do know that she was harboring some serious resentment about how she was treated. I still don't know what I am going to say when I get out. I have been on this job long enough to build up so many grievances that there might be no way to summarize it all.

But most importantly, HR doesn't give a rat's bum about how bad things are. People are leaving the company like there's a fire drill and nothing is being done to get the rot out of the corporate culture (i.e. lazy, incompetent managers who think they are entitled to be in charge of functions they do not understand). Absolutely nothing is going to change so why even bother to vent like it's going to be taken as constructive feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 05:58 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,708,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post

But most importantly, HR doesn't give a rat's bum about how bad things are. People are leaving the company like there's a fire drill and nothing is being done to get the rot out of the corporate culture (i.e. lazy, incompetent managers who think they are entitled to be in charge of functions they do not understand). Absolutely nothing is going to change so why even bother to vent like it's going to be taken as constructive feedback.
Bingo.

Old 11-22-2012, 02:06 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,139,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Bingo.

What about saying its all a bit boring and you have to stifle your yawns most days, and its generally a pointless role that adds no real value, no one is really that interested in, you need about 3 coffees in the morning just to get motivation to do anything, you fail to see anything interesting in the job.

Meetings are soul crushing boring affairs which make you feel like jumping out the window, and that in terms of support, direction and guidance you feel like your running your own business most days, not being an employee.

Their thinking damn we were hoping to sucker this guy into staying longer doing all this tedious crappy stuff for a lowish salary- time to find a new sucker.

Many jobs are simply boring after a while, and that's why they have a high turnover rate.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
What about saying its all a bit boring and you have to stifle your yawns most days, and its generally a pointless role that adds no real value, no one is really that interested in, you need about 3 coffees in the morning just to get motivation to do anything, you fail to see anything interesting in the job.

No point in saying that. 'They' know that its mostly tedious and boring drudgework, it basically comes with the territory so pointing that out isnt going to make a bit of difference. You make yourself feel better but thats about it.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:21 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,257 times
The dumbest thing one can do is tell the truth in an exit interview. Really?? You will appear as a disgruntled employee. They will blacklist you. Not only will you be unable to apply at that company or any subsidiaries/parent co, if it's a large one, but they may not give you a positive reference. Hold your tongue, tell them the standard BS expected and then quietly move on with your life. Don't stir the pot. Best revenge is to move forward and let them drown in their own scheit.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:23 PM

Further, you will work yourself up by bringing up the negativity and rehashing it. Move on, continue with your life. Let them drown or go into bankruptcy eventually.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
The dumbest thing one can do is tell the truth in an exit interview. Really?? You will appear as a disgruntled employee. They will blacklist you. Not only will you be unable to apply at that company or any subsidiaries/parent co, if it's a large one, but they may not give you a positive reference. Hold your tongue, tell them the standard BS expected and then quietly move on with your life. Don't stir the pot. Best revenge is to move forward and let them drown in their own scheit.
Bingo( wait I just said that earlier). Ahhhh....exactamondo. Its not even so much about the blacklisting part for me. If I'm leaving your company I really couldnt care less what happens to the place after I leave, especially if I'm harboring ill-will the last thing I'll be doing is offering advice. You didnt care about my opinion when I was there, so why pretend to do so at this point? I'm pretty sure that some of the people who held the position before me saw fit to 'offer their advice', and it doesnt appear to have helped because the organization is still s**t. My energies will be spent on my new and 'hopefully' better new job, not helping your trainwreck of a company figure out its countless issues.

Last edited by Roman77; 11-22-2012 at 03:45 PM..

Old 11-22-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Bingo( wait I just said that earlier). Ahhhh....exactamondo.
HAHAH. But, no, right?? This is Corporate Politics 101 for high school version. You want to vent, go to your favorite bar and tell your bartender. Or your best friend or buddy. That same company which you are exiting might be bought out by another larger company. You may find yourself wanting to work for this larger company, 5 years later. Of course, you can forget about even applying there. Further, your significant other/partner may invite you to a Christmas party one day. During the course of drinks and conversation, it is discovered that 5 years ago you vented at an exit interview and that same HR person is your partner's boss/coworker. Nice? Actually happened. True story.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:59 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
I've only been confronted with one "exit interview." I declined it. They wanted to know why I wouldn't sit with the HR director for an exit interview. I told them because I'm not applying to not work for them anymore, I don't need to interview for a loss of job, only a gain of one. If they wanted to continue paying me to not work for them anymore, I'd be happy to collect their weekly paychecks. If they weren't interested in that deal, they'd step aside and allow me to leave in peace.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:29 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,151,448 times
If I had ever told the REAL truth about how I felt in my last job I would probably be in jail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search