Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 12:49 PM

112 posts, read 285,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
ok, this is how I see it and I could be totally off base: the recruiter finds, what he/she thinks is a perfect match, an interview is conducted, the company agrees to a certain salary, the recuiter thinks he can get the company to pay a little more and get the candidate to come down a little by telling him/her the job is theirs. The problem, the company will not come up and the job offer goes away. At least in the case of my husband we know it came down to salary, if only they had offered he would have jumped. Our daughter said pretty much the same, she could just tell salary played a huge roll. I am sure there are many positive recuiter stories but many just do not materialize.
Salary was set before the interview. I always ask about Salary before I move forward with any interview including pre interview with the recruiter and then interview(s) with the company themselves. I just think this recruiter has too much on their plate and don't know how to multitask. This is why I am trying to have contact with the person I met up with at the in-person interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
To be very honest. I think you have become a pest with all that incessant calling and emailing and they probably are having second thoughts about hiring you. I would have only contacted the company, not the recruiter.
I would continue to look elsewhere but I would suggest not continuing to contact any of these parties.
You can't contact the company directly when going through a recruiter, you have to contact the recruiter.

I have to disagree on being a pest, well my normal pestation. I plan on leaving them alone, but my understanding of dealing with recruiters is if you don't remind them that you're still around they will forget you. So how much is too much and how much is too little? I believe in keeping your word about things. I have had recruiters say they are going to submit me for a job and I check back in a week later to get the status and once I don't hear back, I leave it alone and give it some time before contacting the recruiter again.

If this is how they feel (the recruiter) then so be it. I believe strongly in staying on top of things when I being semi-offered a job. if I hadn't been offered the job (sort of), I would not care and they wouldn't hear from me until 2023.

Last edited by ConfusedInCali; 02-03-2013 at 01:32 PM..

Old 02-03-2013, 01:47 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,790,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
All recruiters, company based or independent ones from headhunter firms are NOTORIOUS for playing all kinds of games with candidates.
Well, I don't know if I would go that far. What I would say is that as a group they tend to be unreliable in the sense that they're not good about staying on top of things.

It's a rare recruiter who says what they mean and does what they say. Most of them just don't have the strong business connections to be able to come through with what they say. They promise they will get you interviews, but they really don't have the clout to be able to pull it off.

However, I have had the pleasure of working with a few recruiters who are par excellence. They unfailingly deliver on their word.

Recruiters make commission on their placements. Here in the Bay Area they make 10-15% (or sometimes worded as 2-3 months) of the annual salary of the person they placed. Recruiters are very interested in doing it - they just don't care whether it's you or some other candidate who gets the job. It's all the same to them.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:21 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,036,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedInCali View Post
Approximately three week ago I was offered a job with a company via a recruiter. It was a verbal job offer only. Its a long story on how this came about, but basically I interviewed for one position in this particular department, but it was given to someone internally. However, the people at the company liked me so much they wanted to offer me another position doing the same thing, but the job wouldn't be open for another two weeks. According to the recruiter, they have someone there but he/she's not working out and they have to let him/her go. I am not sure why it takes two weeks to do this, but whatever.

Two weeks on the dot I contact the recruiter to find out what's going on, the recruiter said they haven't heard from the business as to when this person's last day will be, but I was told the recruiter would contact the business and let me know. This was a Wednesday. I didn't hear anything on Thursday, so I wrote the recruiter and received a response that they haven't spoke to the business but when they do they will let me know.

We are going on week three now. I wrote the recruiter Monday of this week, no response. I called the recruiter yesterday, no response. I e-mailed the person that met me at the business for my in person interview, no response. I tried calling the recruiter today, no answer (I did not leave a message). I called the other person and did leave a message saying I feel like I am in the dark about what's going on. I have yet to hear back.

I really wish I could let this go, but when you tell me something, I expect you to follow through, because if the table were turned, they would expect the same thing.

This recruiter cannot tell me they have not been in contact with the business in three weeks????

Any thoughts on this matter?
Yes, let it go and stop appearing so desperate.

I suggest you move on. The recruiter is unreliable and obviously ducking you.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:11 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,590,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
To be very honest. I think you have become a pest with all that incessant calling and emailing and they probably are having second thoughts about hiring you. I would have only contacted the company, not the recruiter.
I would continue to look elsewhere but I would suggest not continuing to contact any of these parties.
Exactly. Daily calls/emails would lead me to call them back and say no thank you. If you can't be professional and wait for me/the company to act, then we are not interested in bringing you on board.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Exactly. Daily calls/emails would lead me to call them back and say no thank you. If you can't be professional and wait for me/the company to act, then we are not interested in bringing you on board.
Well, I have learned a lot here from both sides of the coin. From people who have dealt with recruiters and people who see things from the recruiters side of things.

I did tell/ask my recruiter that I would be checking in just so I stay in the forefront of their mind. So, its not like they didn't know. I have been extremely honest with my recruiter and I expect the same back. But as I am learning, not all recruiters play by the same rules. If they find this being a pest, then so be it. I believe in handling my business and I make no apologies for it. I have been complimented for how I stay on top of things.

I'm going to allow myself for a second chance starting this week by not calling or emailing and do the same the following week and the week after that.

I thank you all for your thoughts, opinions, take on things, and words that I did not find too comforting, but learned from.

I hope to get more comments here, but in the meantime, I am going to try to not be so hard on myself for my possible faux pas.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:31 AM

18,983 posts, read 32,693,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedInCali View Post
You can't contact the company directly when going through a recruiter, you have to contact the recruiter.

I have to disagree on being a pest, well my normal pestation. I plan on leaving them alone, but my understanding of dealing with recruiters is if you don't remind them that you're still around they will forget you. So how much is too much and how much is too little? I believe in keeping your word about things. I have had recruiters say they are going to submit me for a job and I check back in a week later to get the status and once I don't hear back, I leave it alone and give it some time before contacting the recruiter again.

If this is how they feel (the recruiter) then so be it. I believe strongly in staying on top of things when I being semi-offered a job. if I hadn't been offered the job (sort of), I would not care and they wouldn't hear from me until 2023.
This is true. I did recruiting for a little while, pretty much hated it overall, and they are constantly dealing with new people.

Even if you go into recruiting with good intentions to help people find jobs you end up hating people real quick and becoming jaded because there are more crappy candidates than good ones.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
This is true. I did recruiting for a little while, pretty much hated it overall, and they are constantly dealing with new people.

Even if you go into recruiting with good intentions to help people find jobs you end up hating people real quick and becoming jaded because there are more crappy candidates than good ones.
Your job as a recruiter was to separate the good from the bad, and if you were running into the more bad than good, then it seems the issue is with you. Yet, on the other hand, people are great interviews and always put their best self forward, but once they get the job, the true comes out. The bad apples make it hard for people like myself, who not only is professional during interviews, but I also show my true self, because it will come out during the job, so why hide it.

As for myself, I did hear from the recruiter with another possible position. So, right now, I have two possible jobs and this recruiter does seem to be working to get me working. So, I wasn't a pest after all.

But while waiting for these one of these jobs to come through, I am applying to any and everything I can get my hands on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search