Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 01:11 PM

640 posts, read 1,987,376 times

Advertisements

OK, I started working as an Accounting Clerk at the headquarters of an international company, based in the northeast. FYI: I only have an associates degree.
The job they advertised, for which I appllied and for which I accepted an offer, is not the job I'm performing.
I was hired to assist the A/P Manager with payables, to help him streamline processess, and to process the Travel & Expenses submissions.
Within 3 weeks of my hire it was evident that they're T & E system a big mess and not complied with by the majority of the employees. The result has been my only having time to analyze the T & E submissions for non-compliance(appprox 75-100 submissions=approx 1500-3000 receipts per week), run statistical ad-hoc reports for management, and supply my supervisor with the knowledge of the correct methods and protocol for handling the T & E process (he had no prior T & E exposure before I was hired-he was promoted and took over the T& E---no one knows who did it before I came there!).
From reading help wanted advertisements, it seems that my title should be T & E Analyst/Auditor/Supervisor and that my salary should be higher.
I keep getting told I'm not an accounting clerk, I'm an auditor, but "accounting clerk" is what's on my paycheck and what I'm being paid for.

I don't want to wait until 1/1 for standard raises to go around (they aren't merit-based). I want to present a formal, written proposal for a title and salary change. I would back it up with relevant material and include all the major complex, intense duties I'm performing that aren't part of my current job description.Does anyone out there thinnk that a formal proposal for the changes would hold more weight than a verbal request for "May I have raise, please, sir?"
I'm very confused about what to do here.
Final note: I've been recognized as a asset by the upper echelons of the company (COO, CAO, HR Director). I've recovered tons of funds that employees received that they shouldn't have, and the travel policy has been updated by management due to my ability to recognize the changes that were needed. So, yeah, they like me. But enough to pay me what I'm worth and change my title? Who knows....

Any suggestions/advice would be so appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 01:37 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,441,841 times
Yes, I think a formal written proposal would be best rather than a verbal. It is good that you have been recognized as an asset. That holds a lot of weight. I have done just what you are thinking about doing at a previous job and got a raise effective immediately. Good luck to you!

Old 07-15-2008, 01:46 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,557,380 times
You would be suprised at how many job descriptions do not match the job that's being done. I bet in my career if I found the formal job description it didn't totally match. You could write up a proposal, but don't be suprised if they don't care.... they might if its an HR person or a union enviornment, but beyond that most managers don't care about the description, just the job that's being performed.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:49 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,441,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
You would be suprised at how many job descriptions do not match the job that's being done. I bet in my career if I found the formal job description it didn't totally match. You could write up a proposal, but don't be suprised if they don't care.... they might if its an HR person or a union enviornment, but beyond that most managers don't care about the description, just the job that's being performed.
If they are a good company, they will care. They will recognize the significant contribution that she makes to the company and reward her for it.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:57 PM

137 posts, read 602,842 times
I would draft a formal proposal, but I would present it in person. Thus, giving you the opportunity to answer any questions or concerns, and you put management in a position where they are forced to respond.

Overall, I think the most important part of your whole situation is that you have concrete examples of the additional tasks you have successfully completed and the additional responsibilities of which you have taken ownership. You really need to lay out bullet point by bullet point the examples in order to have the strongest chance of getting that raise.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:28 PM

266 posts, read 1,108,460 times
I would talk to your boss first "off the books" and mention it and see what their response is. Just bring it up when you can get a few minutes and they are in a good mood. Try to feel them out first and see if they would like the idea, or if it's going to be a huge waste of your time. If they are receptive, then mention that you will put together a proposal by such-and-such date for them to review.

If you get the sense that you're on shaky ground, proceed with caution. Sometimes coming in with a formal written proposal will not be well received. Some managers might take it as an insult or challenge to their authority, even if you don't mean it that way.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:51 AM

Thanks for all the replies. They all were very helpful.

I've already advised my manager that I am of the opinion I am undercompensated for the duties I perform. He, of course, could not comment on that.

We (he and I) are both very aware that the job I was hired to perform is not the same as the job I am performing. There is a huge increase in independent judgment, independent decision-making and mostly, my having to inform the company (founded in 1948, by the way) of how the rest of the corporate world processes T & E and enforces T & E policy.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane0218 View Post
Thanks for all the replies. They all were very helpful.

I've already advised my manager that I am of the opinion I am undercompensated for the duties I perform. He, of course, could not comment on that.

We (he and I) are both very aware that the job I was hired to perform is not the same as the job I am performing. There is a huge increase in independent judgment, independent decision-making and mostly, my having to inform the company (founded in 1948, by the way) of how the rest of the corporate world processes T & E and enforces T & E policy.
Does somewhere in the current job description does it say "other duties as assigned"?

Old 07-16-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
Does somewhere in the current job description does it say "other duties as assigned"?
Actually, no. My job description is quite specific and includes duties that I haven't been able to perform because handling the T & E auditing and enforcement takes up all my time.

From what I've been told by my supervisor, I'm the first employee who has really understood the process and concept. The job was pulled into corporate headquarters from all the US divisions about two years ago. No one has ever questioned anyone's reimbursements, ever.

I feel that I should get paid according to my duties, and if those duties would be categorized into a higher level than what I was hired for, then I should be re-categorized, with the resulting change in salary.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane0218 View Post
Actually, no. My job description is quite specific and includes duties that I haven't been able to perform because handling the T & E auditing and enforcement takes up all my time.

From what I've been told by my supervisor, I'm the first employee who has really understood the process and concept. The job was pulled into corporate headquarters from all the US divisions about two years ago. No one has ever questioned anyone's reimbursements, ever.

I feel that I should get paid according to my duties, and if those duties would be categorized into a higher level than what I was hired for, then I should be re-categorized, with the resulting change in salary.
Interesting: I've never seen a job description that didn't have "and other duties as assigned".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment