Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 01:07 PM

4 posts, read 115,861 times

Advertisements

Let's say you lie on your resume. For example, for a job posting for night auditor. It says you must have experience. If you put that you do have experience and put a random hotel name, and hope that they don't call that company, but they call the company and realize that you haven't worked there, would they just not hire you, or would they report you to the police for lying so that I would get trouble with the law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 01:10 PM

4 posts, read 115,861 times
Or, let's say they hired you without checking the facts, and then they fire you from the job after you've been working for a while because they find out, would they report you to the police or would your SSN be stained with having lied on a resume, so that when hiring managers check your SSN they can see that you have criminal record of lying on resume and would not hire you? Or, can you say to the next potential employer that you quit on your own accord to look for other job opportunities?

Old 02-26-2013, 01:10 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
It's not against the law to lie on your resume.

It's against the law to impersonate a doctor, or a policeman, etc.

But there's no law that says you can't lie on your resume.

You won't get arrested. But you also won't get the job.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:15 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
Why are people so dumb about HOW to lie?

Don't lie about something that can be proven untrue.
That's it. End of story.
I don't recommend lying. But, darn it people, be smart about it -- IF you do.

Is that so hard to grasp?

Old 02-26-2013, 01:35 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Employers often fire employees who they found have lied on their resume/application for employment.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:35 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,709,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It's not against the law to lie on your resume.

It's against the law to impersonate a doctor, or a policeman, etc.

But there's no law that says you can't lie on your resume.

You won't get arrested. But you also won't get the job.
I would tend to agree with that statement until I heard about that case of the crime lab worker that was arrested last year. She had listed that she had a Masters on her resume and application, which turned out to be false. Now I'm not sure how accurate the media reports were at the time, but they implied that the fraud charges against her were directly tied to her false resume/application. To me that is an extreme stretching/twisting of the fraud statutes, but who knows. Maybe it was because she was in a sensitive law enforcement type position. If you lie at a private company I doubt they could do much about it or would any legal entity pursue it.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:23 PM

400 posts, read 1,508,599 times
just dont lie. especially in the form of creating things that never existed. its just not a smart idea.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:33 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resume20 View Post
Let's say you lie on your resume.
Let's not. Just don't do it.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:53 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
I knew a teacher who did that a couple of years ago and they let her finish the school year but I imagine it was excruciating for her b/c a lot of people knew. She told them that on her first job there was no computer and that the school building had burned down and her records with it. It was easy to trace b/c DESE would have that record. Then someone came in and said she'd been a stripper but I have no idea if that was true.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:34 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
How is lying on a resume even possible with the reference check and criminal background process?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search