Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 06:13 PM

50 posts, read 89,758 times

Advertisements

Here is my situation. I graduated college with an accounting degree in May, 2005. I was employed at my first job from January, 2006-May, 2007 at a CPA firm. I then made to move to private accounting. I was at my next job 4 months and it did not work out. I found another job in January, 2008. I was let go from that position in November 2008, also not being a good fit. I was again out of work about 5 months and then found another job in April, 2009. I had to lie to get that job, which I regret. I said I worked at a company that my friend's father was Controller at and he vouched for me and gave me a fake reference. I never got caught in that lie and have been working at this company since April, 2009. I believe I have wised up a lot professionally in this time too. I am looking for a new job again because a couple of months ago my position in the finance department was eliminated and I was offered another position in Sales Operations, which I took and am unhappy here, and I want to do accounting. Here is what I am going to put on my resume: I will put my first job, which I held from January, 2006-May, 2007, which is verifiable. I then plan on saying that from May, 2007-November, 2008, I worked at a company in my area that went out of business around that time. Then say that from April, 2009 on I was at my present company, which is completely verifiable. I think that the fact I was employed here all that time during a bad economy, with plenty of good people out of work, and it would have been a very easy matter to replace me if I weren't cutting it, and the fact that the company went out of its way to try to keep me when they had to eliminate my position will make me look like a good candidate. I also know I will get good references from my present company. If I say that I was at a company from May, 2007-November, 2008 that is now out of business, is there any way I can get caught? I know some companies look at tax returns in a background check, but to find that, they would have to go back as far as 2008, and I doubt they go back that far. Or will a prospective employer only really care about my most recent position? I hate lying, but it's tough out there. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 06:15 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,188 times
I'm more amazed that you were able to find jobs so easy to hop from

Old 08-13-2012, 06:16 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Can you get caught? Sure. Will you get caught? Who knows.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:18 PM

107 posts, read 381,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRusso1982 View Post
Here is my situation. I graduated college with an accounting degree in May, 2005. I was employed at my first job from January, 2006-May, 2007 at a CPA firm. I then made to move to private accounting. I was at my next job 4 months and it did not work out. I found another job in January, 2008. I was let go from that position in November 2008, also not being a good fit. I was again out of work about 5 months and then found another job in April, 2009. I had to lie to get that job, which I regret. I said I worked at a company that my friend's father was Controller at and he vouched for me and gave me a fake reference. I never got caught in that lie and have been working at this company since April, 2009. I believe I have wised up a lot professionally in this time too. I am looking for a new job again because a couple of months ago my position in the finance department was eliminated and I was offered another position in Sales Operations, which I took and am unhappy here, and I want to do accounting. Here is what I am going to put on my resume: I will put my first job, which I held from January, 2006-May, 2007, which is verifiable. I then plan on saying that from May, 2007-November, 2008, I worked at a company in my area that went out of business around that time. Then say that from April, 2009 on I was at my present company, which is completely verifiable. I think that the fact I was employed here all that time during a bad economy, with plenty of good people out of work, and it would have been a very easy matter to replace me if I weren't cutting it, and the fact that the company went out of its way to try to keep me when they had to eliminate my position will make me look like a good candidate. I also know I will get good references from my present company. If I say that I was at a company from May, 2007-November, 2008 that is now out of business, is there any way I can get caught? I know some companies look at tax returns in a background check, but to find that, they would have to go back as far as 2008, and I doubt they go back that far. Or will a prospective employer only really care about my most recent position? I hate lying, but it's tough out there. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks
Doubtful. As long as the company that went out of business does not form all or large part of your experience, nobody should care. You have a legit degree, legit references and legit most recent employment. I think you have nothing worry about. Just BS the interview if they ask about that position and you will be fine.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:36 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
I recetnly had a background search done for a new job. If they cannot verify the employment via standard methods, then they expect you to provide proof of the start date and end dates.
The proof can be 1) W2s(for the year you started and the last year worked)
2) paystubs...the first one and the last -one
3)1099s for the year you started and the last year.

they give you 24-48 hrs to provide this. if you cannot, then they say it is not verified. the employer then gets the report and chooses how to handle.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:51 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,394,577 times
Leave the gap. You have experience at the beginning and a good tenure with the current job. Leave the gap. That way, they will only need your word as there is no way to verify "not working" nor are they going to try.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:10 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Can you get caught? Sure. Will you get caught? Who knows.
^^^This.

Hiring Manager: "So, you used to work for XYZ? Terrible that they went under. My next door neighbor was their office manager. I'm sure you know her ..." It's a small world.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:16 AM

632 posts, read 1,180,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
^^^This.

Hiring Manager: "So, you used to work for XYZ? Terrible that they went under. My next door neighbor was their office manager. I'm sure you know her ..." It's a small world.
You never want the above to happen to you. I well say this: no matter how big or small the "lie", you NEVER want to lie on a resume, plain and simple.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:01 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
I would keep your current job and look... seems everyone wants you when you are employed.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:42 AM

50 posts, read 89,758 times
What I am counting on is that a prospective employer won't really scrutinize the job I left in November, 2008. I will just say I was at the company that went out of business. I have been gainfully employed at the next company since April, 2009, and that is completely verifiable. I think that under those circumstances the company won't really look to hard at the previous job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search