Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 09:04 PM

894 posts, read 1,324,928 times

Advertisements

I have two offers on the table, one from Bank Of America the other from Pnc. They are both Leadership Development Programs, training to become branch managers. I have done quite a bit research on PNC’s program, and have talked to a few folks on Linkedin who went through the program, many who are currently Branch Managers. I however cannot find any info on Bank of America's program, or anyone on linkedin. Salaries are comparable PNC is about 2k more. I know Bank of America is a much larger company, and a globally, whereas PNC is only east cost.

So my question is there anyone out there who works for Bank of America, if so can you give me any information on Bank Of America's Assistant Manager Leadership Development Program?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 12:01 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,764,282 times
There has been a lot of bad press about Bank of America recently. They have been doing layoffs and branch closings. Not to mention that the general public has a negative feeling about the bank.

I would lean towards PNC. They seem to be a lot more stable, and I know that they do treat employees well.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:04 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,391,998 times
I used to bank with BofA. I hate them. Just me.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:48 PM

110 posts, read 330,670 times
I don't know anything about the banking industry, but it seems like PNC wins this pros-cons debate. First of all, they pay more. Secondly, you've got anecdotal evidence from people who have done the program and moved up within the company. You don't have this information from BoA.

BoA's only advantage is that is has much bigger name recognition and gives you some flexibility to relocate if you want to. However, I don't see why you can't move to BoA later on in your career if PNC doesn't work out. Does the banking industry frown on people who join competitors or something?

Also, research the health of both companies. If PNC has been doing well and looks like they are expanding I would go with them because their will be more future job openings.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothisismyname View Post
I don't know anything about the banking industry, but it seems like PNC wins this pros-cons debate. First of all, they pay more. Secondly, you've got anecdotal evidence from people who have done the program and moved up within the company. You don't have this information from BoA.

BoA's only advantage is that is has much bigger name recognition and gives you some flexibility to relocate if you want to. However, I don't see why you can't move to BoA later on in your career if PNC doesn't work out. Does the banking industry frown on people who join competitors or something?

Also, research the health of both companies. If PNC has been doing well and looks like they are expanding I would go with them because their will be more future job openings.
This is exactly what I'm currently thinking. PNC is doing very well and they're expanding to the SE region of the USA. My worries with bank of America is the possibilities of getting lost in the sauce, because they are so large, as for PNC its more of a closer knit family. However I will loose the name recognition, everyone in the world knows of Bank of America, and it's definitely a name dropper on a resume. I think PNC will ultimately win this debate thought, mainly because they pay more $$$.

& I'm unsure if it's frowned upon to switch to banks competitors later in your career. From the research I've done on Linkedin its seems people tend to stay with the bank they began with?

Old 03-24-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
There has been a lot of bad press about Bank of America recently. They have been doing layoffs and branch closings. Not to mention that the general public has a negative feeling about the bank.

I would lean towards PNC. They seem to be a lot more stable, and I know that they do treat employees well.
Yes, it seems PNC is a lot more conservative with their money.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:56 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,423,448 times
BofA had a bad rep for treating both their employees and customers poorly. As a customer I've never had a good experience with them. My sister in law had a high level corporate job with them and they treat their employees like crap lowball them, remove perk after perk, trump up reasons to fire people and contest their unemployment rather than lay them off pretty much all the sleazy things businesses are known to do.

I'd go with PNC.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:37 AM

I have about 24hours to make my decision, any last suggestions/opinions. Did I mention Pnc is in pittsburgh & bank of america is in Atlanta. Lived in pittsburgh my whole life, Atlanta new major city for me. FYI

Old 05-01-2013, 11:22 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,477,771 times
with PNC you don't have to move.

with BofA you have to move far away.

Do you like liking in Pittsburg or do you want to move to Atlanta?

Pick the job that in in your location of choice.

To be honest, location is the big difference here. whichever company you choose, it's not that hard to switch companies in a couple years once you have experience. But it's a major thing to move several states away. If you are ready to move now and WANT to move, then do it while you have the opportunty.

if you want to move in a few years, "life" circumstances might change. In other words, you are likely to meet a significant other in the next few years (if you dont already have one). Often the significant other has family ties and then you end up staying put in the original town. If you want to move far away....do it now while you can. FYI..Atlanta is a wonderful city and so are the suburbs and the entire state of GA is wonderful.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:48 PM

244 posts, read 634,040 times
Seems like PNC hand down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search