Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 08:09 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
I've been compiling a new list of jobs I apply for. I applied to 5 jobs yesterday.
How much time and effort do you put into improving your skills, volunteering and networking?

Sending in the application is the last 5% of what you do to find a job. It isn't all you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 08:23 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,521,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
How much time and effort do you put into improving your skills, volunteering and networking?

Sending in the application is the last 5% of what you do to find a job. It isn't all you do.
How silly do people get around here? I tell you, C-D is a real zoo sometimes.

This poster is applying to *low-level*, *entry-level* jobs - this is something totally different than a career in the professional arena. Networking and building skills for a job as a fry cook? Good gosh! Please tell me how that works - inquiring minds wanna know. And how is volunteering going to win a job as a cashier at the grocery store? Volunteer for free to help customers put groceries in their cars? Hey, bright idea, lemme go up to my Kroger and give that a shot. Wait, better not, lest the old ladies think I'm trying to rob them or something.

In the old days, I could walk into a temp agency and be at the job site the very same day. Some of you on here won't believe it, as that's so alien to what it's like today, but trust me, it really was that easy to get work "back in the day." No skills, no networking, no volunteering. I just showed up and said I wanted to work, and boom, I was working for an honest paycheck. Like I said in another thread, I mourn for good times lost.

Some of these posters you see around here on City-Data really don't get it, and they won't get it until Big Brother Government knocks on the door of their business with a crowd of needy job-seekers and says "hire these folks, or we're shutting you down."

Trust me, that day is coming. Probably sooner rather than later. Yeah, baby, Big Brother Government is coming for you....

Last edited by NorthStarDelight; 11-05-2013 at 08:33 AM..

Old 11-05-2013, 08:48 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
How silly do people get around here? I tell you, C-D is a real zoo sometimes.

This poster is applying to *low-level*, *entry-level* jobs - this is something totally different than a career in the professional arena. Networking and building skills for a job as a fry cook? Good gosh! Please tell me how that works - inquiring minds wanna know. And how is volunteering going to win a job as a cashier at the grocery store? Volunteer for free to help customers put groceries in their cars? Hey, bright idea, lemme go up to my Kroger and give that a shot. Wait, better not, lest the old ladies think I'm trying to rob them or something.

In the old days, I could walk into a temp agency and be at the job site the very same day. Some of you on here won't believe it, as that's so alien to what it's like today, but trust me, it really was that easy to get work "back in the day." No skills, no networking, no volunteering. I just showed up and said I wanted to work, and boom, I was working for an honest paycheck. Like I said in another thread, I mourn for good times lost.

Some of these posters you see around here on City-Data really don't get it, and they won't get it until Big Brother Government knocks on the door of their business with a crowd of needy job-seekers and says "hire these folks, or we're shutting you down."

Trust me, that day is coming. Probably sooner rather than later. Yeah, baby, Big Brother Government is coming for you....
Seriously? It works because you get to know the manager of a McDonalds, you mention you are looking for a job and he says "hey, we just had someone quit yesterday, why don't you show up tomorrow and get started"

That is how you get low level jobs. You don't get them by blindly sending out applications. I agree that some people on this forum 'don't get it'. People waste time on hundreds of applications instead of getting to know the people who can actually get them jobs.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:30 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,943 times
You can't go in person all the time. They send you right back to the computer. They say you have to apply online. Don't call, we'll call you. It's weird looking for a job in person nowadays, I swear when I (or once in a blue moon when I see someone asking about jobs), it's like the person at the counter has an agenda. You can tell just by looking at them that they don't want you working there. Why? Why then, have a huge sign up. Why does an employee try to prevent someone from getting a job, when the manager at least keeps the app on file.

It's screwed up.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:29 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,910,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Seriously? It works because you get to know the manager of a McDonalds, you mention you are looking for a job and he says "hey, we just had someone quit yesterday, why don't you show up tomorrow and get started"

That is how you get low level jobs. You don't get them by blindly sending out applications. I agree that some people on this forum 'don't get it'. People waste time on hundreds of applications instead of getting to know the people who can actually get them jobs.
I think you're right about this...to a point. It works where I live because it's a fairly small town and most every job I've had here I've got by 'word of mouth'. Our classified ads rarely ever show decent help wanted ads so you have to know people who 'know' where the jobs are. Luckily for me I've always worked in the hospitality field...restaurants, hotel front desk, etc...and they seem to always be hiring. I did a two year stint in health care as well and they are always hiring. I'm now in retail and we are always hiring because people are leaving for one reason or another. Plus we are gearing up for the holidays. We have a lot of people transfer out to different stores, some promotions and some leave for other jobs or school. I think if you live in a big city it might not be quite so easy to network unless you stay in your neighborhood.

I sometimes read here how folks are sending out so many applications a day and I keep wondering how large an area they live in. Around here if I sent out two it would be a lot. lol There just aren't the businesses and jobs to support sending out so many apps. So they must live where there are hundreds of jobs to apply to...every day! Just curious...

Old 11-05-2013, 10:57 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,943 times
For someone with a GED, and not much work history and being 23 years old, there isn't alot for me to apply for. There are lots of jobs posted out here, but I'm not qualified for many. Right now I only have a bike as transportation. In late 2012 I got my drivers license but have no car. I'll take any job I can get, but nobody is calling me back for interviews and not many places are hiring. I call them the employer who cried wolf. Say "NOW HIRING!!!" but it's really "NOW HIRING NOBODY!!!". If I put down I have a GED instead of regular diploma, I get judged and trashed. If I put HS diploma I'm treated like every other applicant, it seems.

Some want experience. I've been getting emails from a staffing agency on the other side of my state telling me she has positions, I told her I don't have much work history, she told me the companies want at least a year or 2 of work history which I don't have. I'm even offering to work for free at a trade-type company for an apprenticeship and/or training/certification and NO company has the balls to take my offer. Even some of the temp manufacturing jobs require experience, and these are temp jobs. Mostly janitor stuff, packing boxes, etc. I don't get it.

It's a combination of many things. Me, the economy, the way people are hired and the way the hiring process is, the attitudes of people offering jobs, not having a car yet, etc.

I need $2,500 for a machine operator training program I want to get into. That's why I need a job badly.

I have different resumes printed (several copies), I'm going to make a picket sign and stand on the side of the road. Maybe someone driving by will help me get over the BS of job hunting.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:39 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post

Old 05-31-2015, 11:44 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
It can be your fault if you have a negative attitude and not coming up with new ways to re-enter the workforce after trying other methods.

Old 05-31-2015, 01:31 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
You can't go in person all the time. They send you right back to the computer. They say you have to apply online. Don't call, we'll call you. It's weird looking for a job in person nowadays, I swear when I (or once in a blue moon when I see someone asking about jobs), it's like the person at the counter has an agenda. You can tell just by looking at them that they don't want you working there. Why? Why then, have a huge sign up. Why does an employee try to prevent someone from getting a job, when the manager at least keeps the app on file.

It's screwed up.

That is true Parried. It is not always possible to go in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search