Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 10:07 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,068,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriceP View Post
I do not release references or any background check info till I get an offer.
Apply elsewhere. We would not be interested in considering you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 10:55 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,687,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
With certain positions you already know the salary range which is why some don't list it. The job I have now didn't list the salary but i knew the range just not the actual number. But I knew it was enough for me to get off unemployment.
i am ok with a range, too. i just don't like it when they don't give any indication of what the job pays, which is most of the time, at least at the jobs i'm looking at.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:01 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,500,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
We ask for references at the time of application and a waiver to be signed for a background check at the time of interview. Salary is not really negotiable and included with the job posting.

The hiring manager generally calls references only after determining who they want to hire, and background checks are done after references come back with satisfactory results.

Then the job is formally offered.

We are very clear that this is our process, and the hiring manager will generally give the leading candidate a heads up before the reference checks start.
Thanks for the feedback that's reasonable. The companies I referenced prob. do the same but didn't explain that.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:57 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,068,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Thanks for the feedback that's reasonable. The companies I referenced prob. do the same but didn't explain that.
Happy to help.

I don't think anybody contacts references unless they are very serious about a candidate. Reference checks can be even more time consuming than the interview itself. I really would not worry too much about wearing out your references good will, unless you apply for a lot of jobs then turn down the offer.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:23 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,450,609 times
Most places ask for references on the application but won't contact them until they are in the final stages of hire.

One exception is staffing agencies who will send your references of managers to their sales dept and will not hesitate to call them up and harass them without even having a job for you. They rationalize this as having candidates prescreened and ready to go but it is a great way to burn out your references.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:31 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,073,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriceP View Post
I do not release references or any background check info till I get an offer.

Well you won't be getting many job offers then because the person who interviewed you want to hire you, they ask for references before the offer is made.

I don't hear of a offer being made before references are checked.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:37 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i am ok with a range, too. i just don't like it when they don't give any indication of what the job pays, which is most of the time, at least at the jobs i'm looking at.

The range wasn't listed in the ad but I knew what it was because of having similar positions in the past.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:47 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,687,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
The range wasn't listed in the ad but I knew what it was because of having similar positions in the past.
well, in the field i'm in, the salaries vary hugely, so that doesn't really apply.

in my job search, i've found similar jobs with similar responsibilities in the same geographical areas that range anywhere from the mid 20s to the mid 40s.

so no, i have no way of knowing what a job pays just by looking at the ad. it might be $12 an hour, it might be $22. i'd rather not waste my time on the $12 ones

Last edited by groar; 04-25-2013 at 06:08 PM..

Old 04-25-2013, 07:01 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
well, in the field i'm in, the salaries vary hugely, so that doesn't really apply.

in my job search, i've found similar jobs with similar responsibilities in the same geographical areas that range anywhere from the mid 20s to the mid 40s.

so no, i have no way of knowing what a job pays just by looking at the ad. it might be $12 an hour, it might be $22. i'd rather not waste my time on the $12 ones

I'm so glad that I didn't go through that long 5 month hiring process to find out that the salary was below my expectations. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search