Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 07:29 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times

Advertisements

Don't give your resignation notice until all background checks/drug screening, etc are completed successfully at the new job. This could take a week or two.

Just go about your current job without a peep to anyone until these things are done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 07:38 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,185 times
Quote:
I have to look out for myself and family.
That is key. You seem to already have listed out the pros/cons of making the switch as opposed to staying where you are.

Yes, you will burn bridges with your current company. However, if you are taking a federal job, in all likelihood, you'd be able to stay there as long as you'd like. So, it won't matter too much what your current company thinks about you.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:45 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car04 View Post
While I agree with this, a lot of the blame can be placed on the employer.

Look at companies that are deemed "top" places to work. They have no trouble keeping talent because of the pay and culture.

They've only invested three months. It probably takes a year in my current job to become proficient. If they were that concerned about people leaving, they should pay better.
oh absolutely, but that doesn't mean the employer will act logically or fairly in response to the resignation.

however, in this case it doesn't seem to matter so no big deal!

Old 05-15-2013, 07:57 AM

6 posts, read 19,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Don't give your resignation notice until all background checks/drug screening, etc are completed successfully at the new job. This could take a week or two.

Just go about your current job without a peep to anyone until these things are done.
That's all done.

I have my on board date. I don't start until July so I'm going to ride it out until June and give my two weeks. I fully expect them to tell me just to leave which is fine by me. I'll have a month off before the new job.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:04 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,708,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
That is key. You seem to already have listed out the pros/cons of making the switch as opposed to staying where you are.

Yes, you will burn bridges with your current company. However, if you are taking a federal job, in all likelihood, you'd be able to stay there as long as you'd like. So, it won't matter too much what your current company thinks about you.
In all honesty, if using every bit of professional etiquette in the book and resigning with proper notice and thanks results in burnt bridges with that employer, that employer probably isn't worth investing your time in anyways. Employers are always on the lookout for better opportunities that improve their bottomline, why would they expect employees to be any different?

Old 05-15-2013, 09:22 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
This is a tough one because if you tell them you are leaving they probably won't let you finish out the week anyway so I would do it in a way a agency here in philadelphia used to do it with my last job.

Call them the next morning after the last day you work to let them know you won't be returning. You could do it in the evening once you get home but they may not be there. So i would do it first thing in the morning by phone or email

Old 05-15-2013, 09:34 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
Sorry

I just hate that old "burn bridge" argument. People are too loyal to companies who wouldn't even blink at having to let go of someone with a family to feed!

Like my husband, he finally learned the loyalty lesson last year! Working for a company, and I pushed him to apply for a job that was a 40% raise increase. He hesitated but applied. Got an interview. Told me he wasn't sure he was going to go to the interview... TWO DAYS before his interview he was laid off. He was really shocked at that.

He goes to the interview and nails it.

His old job calls him back and says "hey we had to fire a bunch of people, will you come back?" He says yes only because he needs to make money while I'm still job searching.

A week later he gets a call from the company he interviewed with that he got the job.

The employer he's currently working for tells him "don't burn bridges, you are making a mistake taking the job" - and my husband was livid- he was like BURN BRIDGES?! TWO WEEKS AGO you guys laid me off! And now I've got an amazing opportunity and you are telling me to not BURN BRIDGES? WHATEVER!

So again, I apologize

This post right here is so true. I was laid off 4 times betweeen 2009 and 2011 and they could have cared less about my financial situation.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:39 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
People advise against that on a daily basis on this forum.

There is no way they would let the OP stay 2 weeks when he has only been there 2 months. The only thing he can do is call once he gets home and not return back to the job.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:47 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
westphillydude, the OP doesn't care if they tell him to leave, so why shouldn't he give notice?

Old 05-15-2013, 09:53 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
There is no way they would let the OP stay 2 weeks when he has only been there 2 months. The only thing he can do is call once he gets home and not return back to the job.
Did you get any on the job training as an Employment Counselor? Are you familiar with giving notice in writing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search