Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 03:43 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleShadow View Post
Yes. Also, most employers understand how this works. They're not going to be offended because you threw out a higher number than the number that's in their head, they'll just throw out a lower one, and you can take it or negotiate (or pass on the job because their highest number is below your lowest number).

If you throw out a number that is way beyond the market rate, you are creating a bad image of being arrogant and having no idea about your value. No employer wants a person like that on their team, and they would be offended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 03:50 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,400,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
If you throw out a number that is way beyond the market rate, you are creating a bad image of being arrogant and having no idea about your value. No employer wants a person like that on their team, and they would be offended.
Not nearly as frustrating as going through the interview process to find out that this person thinks they're worth $70K for a $40K job!

With all the resources out there now for salary comparisons, etc. you should have a solid idea of what "market rate" is going into the process.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:37 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,678,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Telling someone that "you have to act like this", when that's not them, is just about the worst possible advice ever.
thannnnnk you.

i've gotten flak on here before for advocating that people be honest.

i mean, almost every interview requires a little bs. like you're not going to say you're looking for a job because your boss is horrible or whatever.

but it's really important to remember that you're not just selling yourself, you're evaluating your own fit for the job, and whether you WANT the job or to work for this person. unless you are desperate and need to find work to survive, there's no point in getting a job you're going to hate. and it's never a good idea to get a job that you are not going to be able to do.

some employers value people who like to work independently. if that's the kind of environment where you thrive, don't lie to please the places that do everything in teams.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:39 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,678,460 times
oh also, many online applications don't allow you to type in words for your salary expectations. they have number-only fields, or dropdown menus.

anyway, as much as i argue that employers shouldn't ask this question (i think they should just list the damn range in the ad and save everyone the trouble), they are asking it for a reason, and they want a number. i don't think trying to circumvent that makes a good impression.

by the way, today i had, for the second time, someone ask me in an interview what my expectations were for salary and then say "oh good! we're paying much more than that" and name a number. so while some places might use your salary expectations to lowball you, it's hardly a universal practice.

both of these places were nonprofits so that might be part of it.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:01 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,974,610 times
Market wage? What are you suppose to say when they question that?

What does market wage mean to you? Would you be ok with this? If not, why did not write market wage because that is what market wage means to us.

Market wage is wayyyyy to vague IMO and wayyyy to easy for interpret in so many ways. I'm extremely precise with my wage. If its a job I know I want, the last thing I want to affect my status is my salary. Judge me based off my knownledge, customer skills, etc, not solely based off my money. Plus, why waste your time going after a job that you can't afford? Interview experience only goes so far...

I'm a firm believer in thank you emails. I think it lets them know you are truly interested and willing to make that extra effort. Plus, it keeps you longer in their memory. I don't see any possible con and minor pros. Even a minor pro is better than nothing. If its a job you really want, why not do it?

Old 05-29-2013, 06:13 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
Thank you emails certainly can't hurt, but probably won't help. This has never influenced my hiring decision one way or another.

For salary, throw out a number. Make it on the high side of what you want and move on. People know that this is negotiable. If they are offended by your number, it is good to know now rather than later, because if you are not close now, you will not be close later.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:04 PM

650 posts, read 1,812,500 times
I had to go through an interview to get into my private college. I got accepted because I was the only student who sent them a thank you letter. That's what the interviewer told me on my first day. So yes, it helped me when I was borderline. With that said, I only send thank you letters to positions I'm really interested in.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:31 PM

650 posts, read 1,812,500 times
My interview tip is to stay calm and speak with a powerful voice. Not shout but make sure you are heard. I also like to refer to them by their first names whenever possible. It sort of levels the playing field like I am their equal.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:08 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
What I've learned is that since all interviewers are different there really are no blanket rules. Interviewer A might be unhappy with any talk about personal life. Interviewer B might be thrilled that you love the Dallas cowboys and like hiking. Whatever it takes to make a connection and get remembered.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:31 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,289,909 times
Never try to sell yourself as someone you are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search