Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2013, 05:03 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,487,863 times

Advertisements

I have a bit of dilemma and could use some advice.

I am interviewing with a software sales company which is the industry I want to sell in. I did the phone screen and F2F with HM went well. Then they hit me with we want to check your references and compare answers I have given them in F2F. I get that to an extent but you are implying I am lying, not a good start. Then the sales manager at interview says tell me what you made off your W-2's I don't like that, but it's fairly common practice. My concern is he is going to ask to see the W-2's and I will not do that as the numbers I have given are accurate, plus I have an NDA for a couple of my jobs.

So I contact one of my references and since a bunch of us were laid off, he is inundated with reference checks and is getting irritated with having to deal with them plus his 60 hour work week as SM. I think about it, and comp was never covered by this company? So I decide to clarify before I have my former SM talk to them. I talk to the HR lady is she is being a bit evasive about the range of pay for the base and total comp. I told her nicely point blank that I need to know the range for base and total comp. before we move forward. So I find out the range for base and it's less than I thought. It's somewhat acceptable.

Here are the pros and cons.

Pros

1. Software sales better than other types of high tech sales I have done, open new doors to selling new products.
2. Income, UI ran out
3. Healthcare benefits.

Cons

1. Wanting to do reference checks before even making it to the final round, insinuating I may be lying.
2. A bit evasive about base pay, and then it's less than expected.
3. The drive would be brutal. 60 miles each way, 1-2 hours each way, and I would basically have to move within 3 months if I liked the place I can't commute 2-4 hours just for work.
4. Lastly if they demand the W-2's I am going to refuse. I don't need to have issues with my NDA

So what are your thoughts, good, bad, and ugly

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 04:24 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,401,190 times
Eh, you might be reading into the motivation for checking references and W-2's just a tad - and who knows? Maybe they've been burnt a couple times in the past? If you pull those two out of the equation, then it's down to the commute.

Offer your SSA statement (you should get one every year) shows your total income, and tell them this is all you can give without violating your NDA (although, I'd be really surprised if your NDA covers compensation).

So, is the rough commute better than the commute to the couch, until the savings are drained? Probably.

Plus, as you're well aware - it's pretty easy in tech sales to become obsolete and outdated. At least this gets you something to have and hold onto while you keep feelers out and it gives you a chance to build your network in a new direction.

If I was in your shoes, I'd take the job.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:29 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,487,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Eh, you might be reading into the motivation for checking references and W-2's just a tad - and who knows? Maybe they've been burnt a couple times in the past? If you pull those two out of the equation, then it's down to the commute.

Offer your SSA statement (you should get one every year) shows your total income, and tell them this is all you can give without violating your NDA (although, I'd be really surprised if your NDA covers compensation).

So, is the rough commute better than the commute to the couch, until the savings are drained? Probably.

Plus, as you're well aware - it's pretty easy in tech sales to become obsolete and outdated. At least this gets you something to have and hold onto while you keep feelers out and it gives you a chance to build your network in a new direction.

If I was in your shoes, I'd take the job.
You make good points, but remember I have to give references before I can even advance to the last step. So this is no guarantee of a job whatsoever. My references could be great and the CEO doesn't like me and I am toast.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:34 PM

Think positive, my friend!

Old 05-30-2013, 04:37 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,140,376 times
IME, the final round of interview is usually with a higher-up to rubber-stamp the selection so it's not too unusual to have the reference checks (not salary verification) completed by then. It's also to your advantage as well so you won't have an offer yanked from underneath you because your references didn't check out satisfactorily.

I don't understand the W2 verification ... I don't recall ever having to submit W2's and I'm in tech as well.

If it were me, I'd bite the bullet and take the job while telling myself that it's just temporary.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
IME, the final round of interview is usually with a higher-up to rubber-stamp the selection so it's not too unusual to have the reference checks (not salary verification) completed by then. It's also to your advantage as well so you won't have an offer yanked from underneath you because your references didn't check out satisfactorily.

I don't understand the W2 verification ... I don't recall ever having to submit W2's and I'm in tech as well.

If it were me, I'd bite the bullet and take the job while telling myself that it's just temporary.
Agree here. When I'm hiring anything other than straight up entry level, I've probably already called the references you've listed, plus sniffed around a few more folks I think might know you or your work product.

When you're getting down to this point, unless you walk in there in a t shirt and shorts, drunk, and tell the CEO he's selling garbage, it's likely a formality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search