Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 09:22 AM

217 posts, read 307,512 times

Advertisements

When I'm finished, I will post back in this thread with proof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 09:24 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
I could do that in about five minutes by clicking enough boxes on the Lockheed, Northrop Grumman, Raytheon, or Boeing websites.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:26 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,383,442 times
If you find 100 jobs you qualify for, that is fantastic!

Old 07-01-2013, 09:33 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
it's a way better idea to really read the job ads you see today, take some time to tailor your application to each job, and make sure that you are applying to jobs you're really qualified for.

anyone can send out resume spam. but you get a lot less return for your time than if you stay focused and make sure all of your applications are high quality.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:38 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,860,701 times
If you have a skill set that is transferable to many different types of positions in your field (or even outside your field if you want a change) and are willing to relocate, I don't think that's an impossible feat.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:40 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringPrizes View Post
This seems like a waste of time. I would never conduct a job search this way. I would look for companies I wanted to work for and then check their employment page. If it was someplace I really liked, I'd send a resume even if nothing was posted. I think a targeted search is much more effective, except maybe for professions that are in exceptionally high demand.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I could do that in about five minutes by clicking enough boxes on the Lockheed, Northrop Grumman, Raytheon, or Boeing websites.
I'm 0/3 with applications at Boeing.

Raytheon contacted me through some outsourced recruiter who never answered when I called her office multiple times.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
it's a way better idea to really read the job ads you see today, take some time to tailor your application to each job, and make sure that you are applying to jobs you're really qualified for.
I do read the job descriptions and qualifications carefully. I don't really tailor my resume besides adding an Objective section or a cover letter when I feel it's beneficial.

There are a lot of mathy, techy position titles, closely related:

Data Engineer
Data Analyst
Analyst Programmer
Analytics and Statistical Engineer
Scientific Programmer
Info Analyst
Software Engineer
Etcetera

I think my resume covers all the necessary bases. More often than not, all I have to submit is my name, resume and phone number, before my resume gets placed in a database that will automatically be scanned for keywords.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:43 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringPrizes View Post
This seems like an utter waste of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
This seems like a waste of time. I would never conduct a job search this way. I would look for companies I wanted to work for and then check their employment page. If it was someplace I really liked, I'd send a resume even if nothing was posted. I think a targeted search is much more effective, except maybe for professions that are in exceptionally high demand.
Agree with this 100%.

Quantity is not really a road to success in the job search.

Are you submitting cover letters? finding a 3-5 jobs a day you want to apply for, and putting together a strong targeted resume and cover letter is a way better way to go about a job search than just sending out a generic application to a large number of positions.

And people wonder why they are not having much success in the job search.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:00 AM

23,538 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Be laser focused on your job search, if you want results. Using the "shotgun approach" will give you good numbers, but rarely will this approach result in significant callbacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search