Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 04:46 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,215,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Yes and more specifically linkedin.

Both of these for us too. To go further, Nowdays i google almost everyone I meet. Sometimes its hard to find the correct person, but with smart search parameters you can usually be pretty certain.

But in an employment situation this is only one piece of the picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 04:53 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,702,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Those of you who Google, what if your person has the last name Smith, for example? How would you Google a John Smith in the LA area? Do you think it is fair that I could be the worst person alive named John Smith and you couldn't really determine my presence online but if my name was John Scoubayoutha you could? What do you do if someone goes out of their way to write negative things about you online or if someone pretends to someone online? How do you trust what you read online?

Just curious, because I was thinking about this news piece I watched once where people were talking about things that they had found written online about them that weren't true and how impossible it was to get rid of that information.
Good point, I had a friend a few years back, well some of her friends decided that they didn't like her anymore so they made a fake fb with her pic, name everything! It took forever to get it off...but you do bring up a good point. As for all of you that "google" people, quit being nosey, what you see is what you get and personally I think its gossipy and wrong. If someone has to google every person that they meet, then I have to wonder if there might be something wrong with them.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:59 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,657 times
I have an old LinkedIn page that I need to delete, a new one I started, my Examiner profile (I do freelance writing there), my account on odesk and that's about it.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:14 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,724 times
Yes my boss checks. We actually rejected a person because of their Facebook page. The position was for social media position, great on paper, great in the interview. However, her FB was not set on private, and all she had were posts about how drunk she was, how she was gonna bitchslap someone or something, and a bunch of other crap stuff.

My boss was like if this is her behavior with her FB page, do I really want make her in charge of the company's FB page? No way Jose!

Be careful what you put out there. My Facebook is private and you can't find me. Linkedin, I flaunt like there is no tomorrow.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:43 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Yes my boss checks. We actually rejected a person because of their Facebook page. The position was for social media position, great on paper, great in the interview. However, her FB was not set on private, and all she had were posts about how drunk she was, how she was gonna bitchslap someone or something, and a bunch of other crap stuff.

My boss was like if this is her behavior with her FB page, do I really want make her in charge of the company's FB page? No way Jose!

Be careful what you put out there. My Facebook is private and you can't find me. Linkedin, I flaunt like there is no tomorrow.
Good example here. Basically many people just lay it all out there on fb for the world to see. In this day and age, online rep is important.

I don't have fb, and a Google search only brings up my last job when I was a store manager. That business is long since closed and I was ina higher position when the company went under. Though it's good proof I actually worked there I guess.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:42 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Good example here. Basically many people just lay it all out there on fb for the world to see. In this day and age, online rep is important.

I don't have fb, and a Google search only brings up my last job when I was a store manager. That business is long since closed and I was ina higher position when the company went under. Though it's good proof I actually worked there I guess.
Exactly. When you Google me only things that come up are my Linkedin, my bio that is on the company's website and some scholarships that I recieved. Not bad at all for me!

Old 07-26-2013, 08:43 PM

244 posts, read 634,183 times
When hiring for management positions I'll usually google, facebook and LinkedIN someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search