Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 06:30 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,431,622 times

Advertisements

Recruiter called me regarding an online app I did,cool,then after she asks me some questions she informs me there will then be a phone interview followed by an in-person interview. So I get the confirmation email that they will be calling me around 4pm today...4pm rolls around,5pm,etc...nothing. I doubt they forgot,so the only thing I can think of is they didn't care for something we discussed in the initial call...

This is the second time something like this has happened,I also got a call from a recruiter a couple months back...I met up with them,and they told me there would be a final interview with the hiring manager,which also didn't happen.

This time I think I'm going to be bold and email them and apologize that apparently I wasn't what they were looking for,and ask what it was that made them decide not to follow through...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 06:34 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
That doesn't make sense. Why would they set up the call in the first place? You have nothing to gain by sending an email like that. I would contact them and ask them what happened. Perhaps there was some miscommunication.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:39 PM

Nothing in my life lately seems to make sense...I doubt it was any miscommunication,happens too often.

My guess is that it was just another clueless recruiter calling,and their superiors probably informed them that I wasn't qualified enough or whatever...

Old 08-23-2013, 07:25 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,461,717 times
Truth, the reality is that you are looking for a job in a difficult market. I also had similar experiences. The person who was supposed to interview you may be extremely busy and overwhelmed with more burning issues. Also recruiters in their desire to cut a deal may have set an interview without getting final acknowledgement from the company. It happens every day.
Do not email that you apologize for not being what they want, etc, etc !
Call the recruiter and ask to reschedule. Be positive and optimistic.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Truth, the reality is that you are looking for a job in a difficult market. I also had similar experiences. The person who was supposed to interview you may be extremely busy and overwhelmed with more burning issues. Also recruiters in their desire to cut a deal may have set an interview without getting final acknowledgement from the company. It happens every day.
Do not email that you apologize for not being what they want, etc, etc !
Call the recruiter and ask to reschedule. Be positive and optimistic.
Then maybe there's hope since actually getting calls and offered salaries is new to me,usually it was little hourly things.

I don't think I want to call the recruiter for a runaround or rejection,if they didn't call that obviously means they changed their mind. That's why I wanted to reply to the email,since they're not interested anyway.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:41 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,420,069 times
I don't think you need to apologize for them not calling you at an agreed upon time. What world are we living in that you're the one who get stood up and you think you need to apologize? Com'on, it is extremely rude and unethical for a company to schedule a phone interview and not bother to cancel if they did not think you were a good fit. What if you took some time off for the call? Your life is important, YOU are important and you matter, and nobody should be able to just use your time the way they see fit. Did you try to call them after a few minutes? I would have called and said something to the effect of "hey, we had a call scheduled and I still haven't heard back, wondering that everything is okay." Their behavior is unethical and just plain rude and I think you should call them out for it. Ask them why they did not call and tell them that you had the time set aside for the call

Old 08-23-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
I don't think you need to apologize for them not calling you at an agreed upon time. What world are we living in that you're the one who get stood up and you think you need to apologize? Com'on, it is extremely rude and unethical for a company to schedule a phone interview and not bother to cancel if they did not think you were a good fit. What if you took some time off for the call? Your life is important, YOU are important and you matter, and nobody should be able to just use your time the way they see fit. Did you try to call them after a few minutes? I would have called and said something to the effect of "hey, we had a call scheduled and I still haven't heard back, wondering that everything is okay." Their behavior is unethical and just plain rude and I think you should call them out for it. Ask them why they did not call and tell them that you had the time set aside for the call
The apology part was supposed to be somewhat sarcastic...

I appreciate the advice on calling them,wasn't sure how to approach it. I just assumed if they really were interested they would have called,and if they weren't they wouldn't.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:56 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,420,069 times
Still, I think next time you should call (better than just waiting and wasting your time). I'd say give them 10 minutes and if they don't call just call them to make sure there wasn't a misunderstanding about schedule/timing ect, if you don't have their phone#, shoot them an email. I hate companies/recruiters who have zero respect of people's time. This really irks me!

Old 08-23-2013, 08:02 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,400,267 times
Is this a recruiter for an agency, or an in-house talent acquisition person for a company?

If its the former, blow them up - the. Blow them off. Garbage like this is why they're the band of all existence. I can't count the number of times they screw up stuff for employers.

If it's the latter - call and ask to reschedule.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:03 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,351 times
I would have called after 10 minutes and asked if something came up and if we need to reschedule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search