Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 06:11 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,514,109 times

Advertisements

Post your resume here, we'll critique it for you.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:26 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,227 times
PM me your email address and I will send it. It may not seem like much, but it's all I've got because I haven't been able to find stable, long term work since I was 18. Thanks to the economy. Back then unemployment was 10%. I have no standards when it comes to finding a job. I will literally take anything I can find. The only preference I have is that it's long term and not temporary, but I will do temp if I have to.

I'm taking it to the extreme now. I've seen people who held signs up in their town. I'll probably have to try it.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:37 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
Is anyone stuck in this situation like someone I know?:

He's still fairly young (30s), but due to a health issue that needed surgery, he coulnd't work for a while. Although he has years of experience, it's NOT recent, which is what all employers sseem to want these days. So due to his being out of commision for his health issue, he still hasn't been hired anywhere & is passed over.

Any advice for my friend?

Old 10-15-2013, 06:45 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,380 times
Have you guys considered not putting dates on resumes so they dont know how long you've worked there or been unemployed?

I don't have any dates on mine and have only had one company ask for it and I get a ton of offers

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-15-2013, 06:59 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,227 times
If you want to see it send me your email.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:41 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Is anyone stuck in this situation like someone I know?:

He's still fairly young (30s), but due to a health issue that needed surgery, he coulnd't work for a while. Although he has years of experience, it's NOT recent, which is what all employers sseem to want these days. So due to his being out of commision for his health issue, he still hasn't been hired anywhere & is passed over.

Any advice for my friend?
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Have you guys considered not putting dates on resumes so they dont know how long you've worked there or been unemployed?

I don't have any dates on mine and have only had one company ask for it and I get a ton of offers

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
But, 99% of employers want you to fill out THEIR company employment applications in which they ask for TO-FROM dates of past employment. If you leave those blank, it will look bad/suspicious. So you may not have dates on your resume, but it's on their applications. How do you get around that?

Old 10-15-2013, 11:23 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
Talked to a plumbing company in NH about an apprenticeship. Told me to email my resume. An hour later they said they weren't interested. Probably because of the ged. I thought it was easy to become a helper.
How would you get to work in NH when you live in MA and don't own a car? Maybe that's why they weren't interested in hiring you.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:59 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
How would you get to work in NH when you live in MA and don't own a car? Maybe that's why they weren't interested in hiring you.
Maybe he asked for relocation expenses in his cover letter ...

Old 10-16-2013, 06:29 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,514,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
If you are in that position, something is fundamentally wrong with you or your resume, or both.
Alright folks, I hold in my email box a copy of Parrieds resume. I applaud him for finally sending it to someone. Assuming this is the actual resume he has been using, I can say with 1000% certainty that it is the resume as to why he never gets calls
This most likely will surprise no one here.

And its not just that its sparse, sparse can be worked with and I intend to, its not entirely because its poorly formatted, employers at low level jobs will often overlook that, but it IS because there is one line that is the number 1 reason no one calls. And yes as we all suspected, his forum attitude comes through on the resume through that one line.

I have a few hours of work to do and then I have promised Parried I will send him a long list of questions that I need answered so that I can turn his resume into something that actually reads like he wants a job, because right now, it doesn't.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:49 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post

I have a few hours of work to do and then I have promised Parried I will send him a long list of questions that I need answered so that I can turn his resume into something that actually reads like he wants a job, because right now, it doesn't.
It's very kind of you to take the time to do that for him and I can only hope that it will be appreciated. The next major hurdle after putting together a resumé which sounds as though he really wants a job is to reorganize his whole mindset so that he presents that same front during the application and interview process. That could be a formidable undertaking but it's said that nothing is impossible if you want it badly enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search