Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 01:38 PM

231 posts, read 294,618 times

Advertisements

I'm a little OCD about this concept. When I apply to a position via email I feel better sending it anywhere from 7-9 AM. I think It gives the impression that I'm on top of my game.

Personally, new emails at the top of the page are more likely to catch my eye vs. something halfway down the screen.

Do you think I'm on to something? Will a resume sent at 730 AM look better than one sent at 10PM?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 01:42 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
i seriously doubt it makes any difference whatsoever. maybe once in a blue moon someone will notice the time, but even then the odds that it will make an impression on them either way are really low.

if it makes you feel better, like a little superstitious ritual, go for it. there's no harm in it. but i can't see that it's really going to help you at all.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:43 PM

231 posts, read 294,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
odds are it makes no difference whatsoever. maybe once in a blue moon someone will notice, but even then the odds that it will make an impression on them either way are really low.
even subconsciously?

Old 10-02-2013, 02:06 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
even subconsciously. i don't think job searching early in the morning vs. late at night says anything about a candidate except maybe what their schedule is. if someone's working and their schedule is 3pm-11pm, if they send out resumes at 2am that's really not so weird.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:14 PM

211 posts, read 529,280 times
I never really did that. But, if that's your style, go for it.

But, one thing...if you want your resume to at the top of the list, shouldn't you send it later...seeing how the top email will be the most recent?

Old 10-02-2013, 02:33 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
If you want to, fine, but nobody cares. Electronic apps and emails just go into the que and when they get looked at they get looked at.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:56 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
One of the jobs I got in 2010 was because I was one of the first to reply.

HR at my current job told me that since they get over 100K applications a year, the earlier someone applies to the job the better. That doesn't mean 7-9 AM necessarily, since jobs get posted during the morning or afternoon. I used to post jobs for a place I worked at and let me tell you---after resume 30, 40, 50---you're tired.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:39 PM

408 posts, read 393,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewC7 View Post
I'm a little OCD about this concept. When I apply to a position via email I feel better sending it anywhere from 7-9 AM. I think It gives the impression that I'm on top of my game.

Personally, new emails at the top of the page are more likely to catch my eye vs. something halfway down the screen.

Do you think I'm on to something? Will a resume sent at 730 AM look better than one sent at 10PM?
I'm going to go against the current of the thread here.

YES. DO THIS. THIS IS AN EXCELLENT IDEA.

Why? Well, my wife's been in HR for over 20 years, and at one point was a recruiting director for an IT firm. Her explanation is that (and I don't mean to step on any feet here, but this is what she says) most recruiters are both clueless and lazy, and if you're at the top of the list in their e-mail box when they get to work in the morning, you may well be the first person called, especially if you look like a good fit for the position being offered.

Another related way to make this work for you is to update any resume or profile you have on Monster, Dice or any other jobs website. Those sites will present the most recent updates/uploads first, so go into your rez/profile on those sites and make a tiny change, then save it. When the borks start trolling those sites after they roll in to work, you'll be up near the top.

Good luck in your job search.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:18 PM

112 posts, read 287,866 times
One of the wackier threads (I also liked the "what kind of paper should I print my resume on" thread). I'll have to agree with the "nobody cares" replies.

Intrigued, I checked out my email history to see what time I was firing these emails out the last time I was looking for work (five years ago). I usually sent them during working hours. It surely makes no difference, though. A lot of these clowns who never replied are no longer in business. That makes me happy.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:50 PM

763 posts, read 2,604,950 times
I send my resume electronically as soon as I see the ad that I'm qualified for. Regardless of the time, night or day, off it goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search