Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 09:55 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times

Advertisements

Well then I have the leg up I apply at midnight to show I am more motivated than you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 05:50 AM

408 posts, read 393,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
So essentially, you were stating your wife was lazy and clueless as a recruiter, and only looked at the top few; and you think this made her great at her job and a person who should be used for advice?
So essentially, the following things happened:

*You've been a pretty aggressive, snotty and rude poster on this thread, and not just to me

*Based on your responses, you're not really reading anything I post and you leap to a lot of unwarranted conclusions

*You're not a recruiter, you've never been one and you've only ever been involved in the hiring process at your current employer

*And now you're trying to imply that I said something negative about my wife, apparently in some sort of attempt to invalidate her experience and work history since you haven't got any actual recruiting experience yourself

Man, Boxus, that's a pretty pathetic attempt on your part. (laughing)

If I were in your position and didn't have any actual experience in the topic under discussion, I sure wouldn't be trying to slag on and ridicule the experience of those who *did* have experience in it.

Quote:
I have already stated the reason this is incorrect, if your wife does not do it this way, then she was not doing her job correctly in my opinion.
Listen closely, young man. Your opinion is based on *no* experience and *no* work history in the field. If you're going to argue that your complete *lack* of experience should somehow outweigh someone else' 20+ years of experience, then you should find a different way to get that across, because your arrogant and condescending act isn't helping you any.

Quote:
Someone here is giving poor advice to someone trying to find a job, and I (along with other posters) are giving correct advice.
Three things, Boxus. The OP asked for advice regarding *sending in his resume.* Don't inflate the issue beyond that.

It's your assessment that I'm giving him poor advice. Fine. I'm sure the OP has noted what you said; he's already noted that you were a jerk about it.

You've made your point and laid out your argument, but at this point, your continued insistence on not being disagreed with is clearly becoming more of a personal matter. You don't seem to be able to handle disagreement with others without becoming insulting and without getting personal, so maybe you should just let those "other posters" handle things from clear on out. I imagine they're perfectly capable of being calm and polite -- whereas you don't seem to be able to -- and some of them may well have recruiting experience, which you don't.

Quote:
Right now, there is the OP who thinks he is going to get some edge by sending a resume in at nine in the morning, about every poster here has stated it makes no difference.

The OP in my opinion is just looking to make things easy, and looking for justification to do so. Sorry, but some effort is needed to get employed, or find other employment.

Even better, other posters and I have even stated that we are involved in the hiring process, right now, not years ago or use to be, but now; yet the OP sort of ignores all of this as our posts do not match what the OP is wanting to hear.

Oh my god! How horrible! There's a poster on the internet who doesn't agree with your opinion, and he's not doing what you told him to do!
(laughing)

I don't know what you do in your work, and it doesn't really matter. If I didn't have work experience in it, I'd know enough not to lecture you on how to do your job and how things ought to be done. Clearly that's a life lesson you haven't learned yet.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:43 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
I pretty much agree with boxus. The tone could be adjusted, but the reasons are sound.

If you want to measure...experience...., I too have over 20 years of hiring experience. I am not an HR person, but I am a hiring manager. My job does require me to have a high degree of HR knowledge.

I started off reviewing paper resumes, moved to emailed applications, and have been on the company side of two different HR interfaces.

The bottom line is that, in my experience, everybody in the process makes sure to properly review every application. With modern web based systems, timing has no significant impact on the lists that are generated.

If you are emailing your résumé there are so many variables involved that timing is not going to be significant. Off the top of my head....

Does the recipient have filters set up to deposit applications into a specific folder to review at a certain time in bulk?

Does the recipient have unread messages at the top or bottom of their mail queue?

Do they work 8-5? 9-5? 11-8?

Are they in the same time zone?

Are they in meetings every day until 10:30, so they first look at their email at 10:45?

Are they sick that day?

Do they have an assistant responsible for going through their email for applications and printing, the filing in some other order?

If the OP wants to send in all his applications at 8am while wearing his lucky underwear and holding a rabbits foot, it is not going to hurt. To say that it will help is certainly erroneous though.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:54 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
I agree with boxus as well and I'm a hiring manager for 27 years now -- in small companies when I would get direct contact with the applicants and in larger companies with proper HRIS systems and recruiters.

Waiting to email your application/interest "first thing" in the morning is simply a silly notion.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:59 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
i used to work at a small nonprofit where i screened resumes for my boss (the executive director) and i just put e-mailed resumes into a folder and every few days went through them to pull out the qualified people to pass on to my boss. then she would decide who to interview from that pool. so the time of day that the e-mails were sent really had no impact on who got through. if you want to focus on timing, the best time to apply for a job is as soon as you see it. if you see it at 3pm and wait til 8 the next morning to send it, it's much more likely that the hiring manager will decide to stop reviewing any more resumes in that time than it is that being at the top of someone's inbox (if that even happens) will be helpful to you. neither outcome is super likely of course - the most likely outcome is that it will make no difference.

i did read and consider cover letters too, by the way, as did my boss. and i agree that the one posted in this thread is not a good one. the spelling error would be a huge red flag, the rest of it is just pointless and blah and doesn't really include anything that isn't already in the resume.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:24 PM

231 posts, read 294,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i did read and consider cover letters too, by the way, as did my boss. and i agree that the one posted in this thread is not a good one. the spelling error would be a huge red flag, the rest of it is just pointless and blah and doesn't really include anything that isn't already in the resume.
I haven't been following this post because i'm realizing it's a dumb question, well at least too dumb for 50+ replies and a complimentary cat fight, but can I ask where the the spelling error was?

I ditched that style & I decided to go back to my 3 bullet point format. It has much more beef without all the unnecessary fluff. Whenever I write too much I start to spew out BS, so i think bullet points work in my favor.

And with my lack of experience, I don't really understand how to write cover letters that don't repeat my resume in some way. I tailor most resumes to display every specific requirement I meet. Maybe I should stop customizing my resumes so heavily & save some fresh content for the cover letters?

Last edited by andrewC7; 10-10-2013 at 07:44 PM..

Old 10-10-2013, 07:42 PM

119 posts, read 410,342 times
This topic is a complete toss up.

From my experience: Everything goes.
It doesn't matter the time you submit it, as long as it's reasonable hours (if you're applying for an 8-5 job, don't send a resume at 3am-- we will assume you just got back from a party, especially if you are young and you have not indicated you work at a hotel, bar, security shack, etc). It also doesn't matter the order; we're looking for qualified people, not people who pretend they can time us as well as they pretend they can time the stock market. If I haven't found a qualified person by 3hrs, 6hrs, 2 days, 5 days, 2 weeks, I will continue to look or consider alternatives. Why would anyone settle for less?

From my friend who is a store manager: "First bird gets the worm."
Apply first or apply first thing in the morning. Most people are checking their emails early in the AM, so being the first one normally gets the first, less cynical look. If you're qualified, you have a chance to get your name forwarded or written down for further review and the rest of the resumes will be compared to YOURS.
(This works well for all others that don't specify a deadline and need someone soon)

From my friend who is a teacher: "...but second mouse gets the cheese."
Because each opening for public school gets too many applicants, the administrator just looks at the few last they receive. A way to go around this issue, especially with those with an app system that lets you upload your application and submission, is to update it constantly, even if you are just adding and removing the same paragraph. Key is to be the last few before they feel like reading resumes.
(This works if it has an application deadline, until which no candidate will be approved)

Old 10-10-2013, 08:04 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewC7 View Post

I am writing in response to the '55555 – GIS Analyst' position offered via Indeed.com on October 2, 2013.

At ***** University, I acquired exemplary knowledge of theories, principals and methods pertaining to the use of Geographic Information Systems and cartographic production. With my immense geospatial skill-set, I can quickly and efficiently adapt to fit the needs of any objective.

My attached resume will provide more details about my qualifications and I would welcome an opportunity to further explain why I am a good fit for this position.

I appreciate your time and consideration.
This cover letter is terrible. It reeks of puffery and inexperience... miles away from "strait" (think that's the spelling error pointed out earlier). It really makes you look like you don't have a real grasp on where you fit on the chain. It's like you tried to cram as many vocabulary and buzzwords into as small of a space as possible.

Ok, you're applying for entry-level, straight out of school, right?

- You sure as heck don't have "exemplary" knowledge. "Comprehensive"? "A solid foundation"? Very likely you have those.

- "immense geospatial skillset" looks like a MadLib. How can you have an "immense skillset" with no practical work experience? Is it geospatial analytics, modeling, etc.?

- Highlight any project/volunteer/intern experience on the cover letter.

- Objectives don't have needs, teams have needs, companies have needs, objectives are met.

- Assume the close. "I look forward to meeting to discuss how I can best fit the needs of your organization" - something to that effect.

Oh, and to your original question:

The faster the better, IMO.

For large companies, recruiters/HR obstructions usually post positions mid-late afternoon, sometime after they spend the first 3-4 hours of the day on facebook, a donut run, and a conference call to set up a meeting about a project. Be one of the first for these people, path of least resistance.

For smaller companies, or ones that the HM is a bit more involved in the recruiting part, the immediate gratification of getting an applicant after posting a position can help keep your resume on top of the stack - or at the very least, ensure it's read.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:17 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
Good feedback EZ I will look over mine and may be brave enough to post

Old 10-11-2013, 11:24 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewC7 View Post
I haven't been following this post because i'm realizing it's a dumb question, well at least too dumb for 50+ replies and a complimentary cat fight, but can I ask where the the spelling error was?

I ditched that style & I decided to go back to my 3 bullet point format. It has much more beef without all the unnecessary fluff. Whenever I write too much I start to spew out BS, so i think bullet points work in my favor.

And with my lack of experience, I don't really understand how to write cover letters that don't repeat my resume in some way. I tailor most resumes to display every specific requirement I meet. Maybe I should stop customizing my resumes so heavily & save some fresh content for the cover letters?

You said "principals" when you should have said "principles".

Your resume tells a prospective employer about your skills, work achievements, and experience (ie your qualifications). Your cover letter tells them about personal qualities that you have that pertain to the job. Your career path and why you're on it. I can't link to it right now but I'd suggest googling "what to do if you're not getting interviews ask a manager" without the quotes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search