Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 04:05 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times

Advertisements

As you have a good relationships with your supervisor, go to him/her and just say you've been offered a position as an XYZ, it's your dream job because you'll doing X, Y, Z which you're chomping at the bit to do.

Explain that you love working for him/her and Whatever Your Current Company's Name Is, but this is a chance to increase your skills, move forward in your career, and you hope he/she understands.

We all only have about four decades from the beginning to the end of our careers and time is of the essence. I'll bet he/she didn't get to where he/she is by going in circles for years.

They may make a counter offer. May not. But your focus is career advancement, developing job skills.

I have a cousin who dusts off his resume ever two years and sends it out there. You never know what's going to happen where you're working and it's smart to keep your contacts up. Sometimes he accepts a new offer. Sometimes he stays where he is. Sometimes he accepts a counteroffer. Once he switched companies, only to have his original company go under and be bought up by his new company. He was back to his old job, but at a substantial increase in salary.

The key, I think, is to look at career advancement, opportunities to grow, develop skills. Everyone understands that. It's in your best interest to do that and reasonable employers will understand.

Though you've been given a lot of advice on not accepting counteroffer and several examples where it has worked out, it all comes down to you and what makes the most sense for your career.

Good luck and let us know what you decide and how it turns out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 04:19 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Making a counteroffer for retention purposes is one of the few methods of getting a raise (other than COLA) at my employer. It happens periodically, counteroffers are extended and accepted, and life goes on.

Grudges are not held; it is simply the way business is done.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:53 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Making a counteroffer for retention purposes is one of the few methods of getting a raise (other than COLA) at my employer. It happens periodically, counteroffers are extended and accepted, and life goes on.

Grudges are not held; it is simply the way business is done.
Right. It's just business.

Companies know that recruiters are scouting their good employees. I have nephew who gets asked to interview several times a year. He is treated well, so he stays.

These stories about companies who extend a counteroffer but then cuts the employee loose as soon as she/he can be replaced...what's with that?

It's the rare company who is loyal to its employees or expects the same in return.

It's just business.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:16 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
When I got a counter offer, I took it. I really liked my job and the place that I worked; I just didn't think I was being paid as much as I should be and they didn't give raises just for asking. So when I applied for and was offered a job at a different company for more pay, my company matched the offer and I stayed. I never regretted it. I still work with the same company, but in a different capacity (as a contractor rather than employee). So I'd say it's been a long, mutually satisfying business relationship - about 30 years. Unfortunately, because of the economy/technology/Obamacare, that is going to change at the end of this year.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:44 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,753,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
As the title says...I suspect I'll be giving my notice within the next week. I have talked to my potential new employer, we've talked salary, benefits and they have one more reference to call. Next step is drug test for me and acceptance of an official offer.

Now comes my situation and question. While nothing is guaranteed, I am certain my current employer will make a counter offer. Prior track record with other employees giving notice, plus the fact that I'm the only one in my group who does what I do, leads me to believe that a counter offer will be coming.

My terms are, obviously, a promotion and more pay. My question is, I'd like to hear from others who've accepted a counter-offer. Wise? Unwise? Has the relationship between you and the employer changed? I haven't decided if I'd even accept a counter offer, even if it meets my terms, but I'd rather be prepared than caught off guard and accept or decline without understanding all of the repercussions.

Edited to add...I like my current employer, my boss and my co-workers, so there is no issue there. You sometimes reach a point in your career path where the next door may not open up if you sit around and wait for it. I have taken on more work and will continue to take on more high-level work. I just want my pay and title to reflect that.

Thanks in advance.
I hope you looked in to insurance. Plus, I hope you meant, more money, more vacation. It depends on how long you've worked there. The addition of recruiting and other back pay has to match up. Your current employer might of like the fact that they don't have to pay for that again with a new guy, unless they can get someone cheap (I have no idea what you do for a living, which is hard to determine).

The thing about the new work is that you have to prove yourself, all over again within few months. Otherwise, they'll just fire you (again, depends on how much you're making).

Personally? I'd take the new job, if it pays significantly better (I mean 35% or more than the current job), insurance is cheaper, and if I got more vacation. Otherwise, I'd leverage this offer to my current company to get more money.

Enemy you know is better than enemy you don't.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:08 AM

334 posts, read 716,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
I am certain my current employer will make a counter offer.
Since your current employer will now know you are dissatisfied, your acceptance of a counteroffer affords him the opportunity to replace you at his convenience should he so desire. Using an offer as leverage with your current employer is a dangerous game.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:58 AM

1,786 posts, read 6,900,343 times
HS_DUDE, you got a lot of good advice. How about coming back and letting people know what approach you took and how it worked out for you? Pay it forward a little bit.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:20 AM

989 posts, read 1,877,530 times
NEVER ACCEPT A COUNTER-OFFER

"Counter-Offer Acceptance: Road to Career Ruin"

Old 11-30-2013, 02:41 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,486,386 times
I understand the conventional wisdom of not accepting a counteroffer. However, it can sometimes work to your advantage.

In my case, I accepted a counteroffer at a job, which resulted in a 20% pay raise. I kept the same title, but was given more duties. I was able to learn new skills in an environment where I already knew everybody and felt comfortable asking for help.

I had been warned by friends about the possibility of finding myself out of a job before long, due to the counteroffer.

I didn't want to take any chances, so, after a couple of months, I started looking for a new job--with my new duties on my resume. I used my new skills and higher salary to negotiate for an even higher salary elsewhere. So, within 8 months, I was making 50% more than what I had been making originally. This increase would have taken much longer if I had not accepted the counteroffer, and then used it as leverage to get a better-paying job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search