Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 02:02 PM

257 posts, read 609,958 times

Advertisements

Well I am thinking renting a room or taking a sub-lease for 3-4 months in the new location, then going there and applying and seeing what happens when I'm there. That way if things don't pan out or I end up not liking the new location, I'm not paying to move my stuff all around the country again. I don't have that much left to move as I paired down a lot, but moving is expensive (as well as annoying). If/when I get the interview and details are working out, I can ask if there would be any relocation funds provided to move the rest of my things.

I'm tempted to just put my resume' out on a nationwide level right now. There may be a great city out there that I've just not considered yet. Top three places right now are Denver, Albuquerque, and Minneapolis. Want somewhere sunny (that is key, I left Seattle due to SAD) and good for summer/winter outdoor sports that is not a huge metropolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 02:05 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,611,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_to_town View Post
I am looking to move out of state, ideally after the first of the year but I am flexible. I don't have a full-time job right now and had planned on looking for one after I move.
Wow... no job in Bellevue? So you aren't part of the 5 mile long parking lot on 405 every morning headed in that direction? That's too bad.

To answer your question... when I moved here 2 years ago from the east coast I secured the job first...

Old 11-14-2013, 02:12 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,443,535 times
If youre single and just out of college, move. Go where you want to be especially if youre adventurous. If you set down your roots with a job, depending on the field, youll be surprised how quickly you meet that special person...have kids...raise kids...send them to college...and find yourself retiring. Of course if youre in a field that requires a lot of relocation then thats different.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:18 PM

LOL!! I thought Seattle was great though and yeah I was staying in Bellevue. My sister's husband commutes into Seattle using the bus. But the short, grey days incited seasonal depression in me so bad I left after 4 months without even looking for a job. The job market there is actually REALLY good and that's why I was almost tempted to stay. But I decided no job/location is worth my trading in my health.

This is the first time I'm moving first and then finding a job. In the past I've found a job and then moved because of that job and had them relocate me, regardless of the location. Which I think isn't always the best plan because if the job doesn't work out, then you're stuck living somewhere you don't really like. I've mostly just considered the job another words with the location being secondary.

I realize it depends on the job and the economy really. Higher paying, higher ranking and/or less common jobs offer relocation and search more for out of state candidates. Part time fast food jobs wouldn't... for example.

I'm kind of on the border, as I work in a creative field. This last job that called me for an interview (which I did end up turning down today due to location) was as a Digital Marketing Manager. It did sound like a good job, but I didn't want to be stuck living in nowhere land. I think the freedom is better at this point because I can go to the location. Had I interviewed and taken the job, working there full-time would have made it harder to conduct a full job search and interview etc. On the other hand, if I were in the desired city, if a company called and asked if I could interview tomorrow, then I can be available to do that. I can still take freelance/contract gigs in the new job if the opportunity arises as well. And there's a lot to be said as far as actually visiting the companies you want to work for in person, introducing yourself, and leaving a resume' with the right people, even if no job is posted, versus just blindly sending it via the internet from far away.

If the job I just turned down had called and it were conversely in a small town an hour outside of one of my desired locales instead of here, I would have interviewed. Because then I'd still be in the vicinity and could easily look for something more central if the time came. I'm not a huge "in the city" person anyway, but this last job really was in the middle of nowhere in a smaller town than the one I am staying in now that my relatives live in. Additionally if the job were here in the town my relatives were located in, I would have also interviewed, because at least my family is here and there is an airport I can easily get away if/when I need to.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:29 PM

Haha, what I think is sort of funny is that many people must think I'm just out of college because I'm single, no kids, not a lot of stuff to move. No, I've got two degrees and have had two very different successful careers, not including my activities in real estate investment. But it's true, I am adventurous, I have traveled all over the world, moving doesn't bother me much except I've found that it starts to get old as you get older, having to "start over" every time. I'm doing a third career change and in the past, like now, have taken a "sabbatical" of sorts in between while doing so, and feel grateful that I've been able to create those opportunities.

I need the balance of a place I like to live and a job I like working at - just haven't found that yet. It seems like I move about every 4-5 years, if I look back. I've lived in Austin, Phoenix, Los Angeles, Sacramento, various cities in Indiana, outside Chicago (where I am now), Cincinnati, Seattle, Naples (Italy) and briefly in the UK.

Right now I'm considering Denver, Albuquerque or possibly Minneapolis. I need somewhere with a lot of sun, winter/summer outdoor sports and not a huge metropolis. Minneapolis doesn't have as much sun but I've heard the snow in the wintertime brightens what is there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search