Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 06:20 PM

68 posts, read 124,441 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I was not selected for the job I interviewed for. They had three candidates to fill two positions and someone who interviewed a couple weeks after me knocked their socks off apparently. However had they been allowed to hire me on the spot, they would have (this place requires background checks, calls references, drug test, the whole nine yards, on the spot hiring is totally out of the question).

It was very classy I thought of the operations manager to write me a personal note back saying I didn't get the position and that it was a very hard decision not to hire me. I do not believe he was blowing smoke up my ass. He didn't strike me as having that personality in the interview. I believe he was being honest. I decided it would also be in my best interest to at least reply saying how much I appreciated the note.

Luckily this job comes about a few times a year, so maybe next time if I'm not doing anything, however I'm not banking on it. I've already started polishing my resume more, applying elsewhere and sending my resume to potential employers hoping someone wants an interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 11:14 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Lightbulb When company suspects you have options, chances of a raise improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
The key is to never let your current employer know that you are interviewing or even looking for another job. They get upset at that.
Also a useful negotiating tactic. If I am feeling under-appreciated just before annual reviews and raises, I arrange to arrive a couple of hours late, come in wearing a suit with a vague explanation about a funeral.

Same goes for a sudden burst of LinkedIn activity (after 5PM, or course). Join a bunch of regional professional groups, link to all the people you know in your current company, let them think what they want.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:04 AM

So I have another question for the group. Should I bother putting this job on a resume and work history on an application? It was with a respected name in my field in my local area and would look good on it. I'm not comfortable with the decision ethically though, because I know what really happened, but I could always say I was temp they brought on during the busy season and when it ended there was no other work within the company so they had to let me go, or that I was "at will" and they let me go with no reason stated.

I'm just not sure how much digging employers do when researching your work history and if it looks weird when I put down a previous employer but tell the place I'm applying to they can't contact that particular previous employer. It seems most previous employers will only say your dates of employment, rate of pay and job position, but there's no stopping them from saying more. And obviously if an employer finds out I was dismissed or whatever and I say I wasn't, then I'm disqualified from employment and undoubtedly blacklisted from employment there.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:08 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayesRidgeway View Post
So I have another question for the group. Should I bother putting this job on a resume and work history on an application?
Better to have an 'iffy' job on your resume than to a big gap in your employment history.

You could always have a friend or "reference checking service" call, see what the former employer actually says about you. Usually if asked directly, HR will state whether a former employer quit or was fired.

If you have a trusted friend who still works there, you might list them as a reference?

Old 12-18-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
If you have a trusted friend who still works there, you might list them as a reference?
Nope. I did not work there long enough to build any lucrative professional relationships. I certainly would not want employers calling my old boss.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:47 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
So I have another question for the group. Should I bother putting this job on a resume and work history on an application? It was with a respected name in my field in my local area and would look good on it. I'm not comfortable with the decision ethically though, because I know what really happened, but I could always say I was temp they brought on during the busy season and when it ended there was no other work within the company so they had to let me go, or that I was "at will" and they let me go with no reason stated.

I'm just not sure how much digging employers do when researching your work history and if it looks weird when I put down a previous employer but tell the place I'm applying to they can't contact that particular previous employer. It seems most previous employers will only say your dates of employment, rate of pay and job position, but there's no stopping them from saying more. And obviously if an employer finds out I was dismissed or whatever and I say I wasn't, then I'm disqualified from employment and undoubtedly blacklisted from employment there.
Call HR at the prior employer and ask them what kind of Employment Verification they give out to future employers. Ask them what is give for "Reason for Leaving", dates of employment, job title, full-time or part-time.

I like the tempy idea. Bottom line, they really didn't have much work for you anyway based on very few hours you worked. You could mention that in an interview as well and it's totally true.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:18 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,737,395 times
if you can help it, never let anyone know you are applying or interviewing for jobs. let it be a shock when you submit your 2 week resignation letter.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:08 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
How long did you work there? If a few months or less, probably best to leave it off the resume.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
How long did you work there? If a few months or less, probably best to leave it off the resume.
Only a month. I haven't put it on any resumes I've sent out since not getting the job I interviewed for, but for a couple applications I've had to fill out work histories and I did put the job on there but did not put my boss down as a contact but rather the HR person.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:54 PM

389 posts, read 692,636 times
Quote:
Only a month.
I would never include a one-month job on my resume. That's not even a long-enough amount of time for employers to consider a "gap', is it? I mean, you could have been on a month-long vacay...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search