Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 09:41 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times

Advertisements

I have been in my current job for 6 months now. It's a good job and I can't complain. I'm a corporate internal tax analyst. That means no clients; no CPA work. Excellent pay, benefits, hours, people, etc. But since I can't stand living in this area, I want to relocate to a new area about 80 miles from here. In the past, I have always been unemployed while searching for a job. It was so easy to schedule interviews, talk on the phone with recruiters and orchestrate my job search. But now, I'm not willing to quit with no job lined up. So, here are the circumstances that I am facing that make the situation difficult....

Currently, I am on an apartment lease, which ends on May 31, 2014. My manager tells me that the months of January through April are very busy and it will be impossible to take significant blocks of time off, but maybe one or two days per month is okay (I get 23 PTO days per year). Also, every job I have ever landed has required at least two professional references. Obviously, I can't use anyone from my current company as a reference, otherwise they'll know that I'm looking for a job. I have to resort to past references from over the years, which I don't like, because I don't actively keep in touch with them, so it's awkward.

Anyway, one thing I do is keep all of my annual employee evaluations. Could that be used in lieu of references from my current employer? Also, how the heck am I supposed to have an interview at places that are 80-100 miles away? And what if they want a second interview? It would look very suspicious if I took a Friday off, then requested to take another random day off the following week on short notice.

Can anyone speak from experience how to do this?? And keep in mind that I NEED to secure my next job by the end of April at the latest AND, I would have to give a 2-week notice, then require time to move and find a new apartment in the new area. It just seems really difficult to pull this off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 09:44 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
I would not try and submit employee evaluations instead of references. It won't look good. As far as how do you take days and travel for interviews the answer is "you figure out a way". Probably not what you want to hear. But every situation is different.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:48 PM

29,795 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Sick days, long weekend, possibility for a phone interview perhaps... If you want to leave bad enough, you'll figure it out.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:15 PM

87 posts, read 190,426 times
Be upfront with your future employer. Tell them you currently have a good job but looking for something else because of location. I've changed jobs 3 times and the hiring company has never had a problem accomodating me during the interview process. Phone interviews, evening meetings (I would come in early and then leave early for the interview) The only time I had to take time off was to fill out paperwork and placement testing after I had secured the position.

As far as references go, old references are fine. Just make sure they're personal contacts. It doesn't have to be someplace you work. Your resume, experience and education information tells them your qualifications. A reference is just someone that vouches you aren't lazy, a crook or an axe-murderer. Those type of people don't usually have people that will put in a good word for them. That doesn't mean use your buddy that still lives in mom's basement. But you should have a few responsible professional friends who can put in a good word for you. If they work in the field you're in great, but by no means is it a necessity.

And no don't use your evals. They want someone to talk to. A piece of paper with high marks doesn't tell them you aren't lazy, a crook or axe-murderer. This would probably hurt your chances more if you handed them in and said you couldn't get one living soul to vouch for you.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:26 PM

23,511 posts, read 23,986,796 times
I work in field sales, and work from a home office about 30% of the time, so it's fairly easy. In your case, you would have to do it after hours, on breaks, PTO days, etc. Schedule phone interviews later in the day, so that you can leave early to make the interview. Take the PTO day when you need to do the face to face.

Don't use your company PC or search for jobs at work (everything is likely monitored).

Old 12-05-2013, 02:31 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,670,302 times
Do you know how many people would love to have this problem?

Old 12-05-2013, 04:37 PM

389 posts, read 692,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I have been in my current job for 6 months now. It's a good job and I can't complain. I'm a corporate internal tax analyst. That means no clients; no CPA work. Excellent pay, benefits, hours, people, etc. But since I can't stand living in this area, I want to relocate to a new area about 80 miles from here. In the past, I have always been unemployed while searching for a job. It was so easy to schedule interviews, talk on the phone with recruiters and orchestrate my job search. But now, I'm not willing to quit with no job lined up. So, here are the circumstances that I am facing that make the situation difficult....

Currently, I am on an apartment lease, which ends on May 31, 2014. My manager tells me that the months of January through April are very busy and it will be impossible to take significant blocks of time off, but maybe one or two days per month is okay (I get 23 PTO days per year). Also, every job I have ever landed has required at least two professional references. Obviously, I can't use anyone from my current company as a reference, otherwise they'll know that I'm looking for a job. I have to resort to past references from over the years, which I don't like, because I don't actively keep in touch with them, so it's awkward.

Anyway, one thing I do is keep all of my annual employee evaluations. Could that be used in lieu of references from my current employer? Also, how the heck am I supposed to have an interview at places that are 80-100 miles away? And what if they want a second interview? It would look very suspicious if I took a Friday off, then requested to take another random day off the following week on short notice.

Can anyone speak from experience how to do this?? And keep in mind that I NEED to secure my next job by the end of April at the latest AND, I would have to give a 2-week notice, then require time to move and find a new apartment in the new area. It just seems really difficult to pull this off.
Your new/potential employer should understand all of this, including not contacting your current employer until later. You are not in a unique situation. Can any of the interviews be done via Skype? Why not ask for a day off and then, to avoid looking suspicious, have something "come up suddenly" which causes you to miss another day? *wink wink* I agree that if you really want this, you'll find a way to manage.

Oh, btw, when you find a new job can I have your current one? Pretty please???

Old 12-06-2013, 11:43 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsMe123 View Post
Your new/potential employer should understand all of this, including not contacting your current employer until later. You are not in a unique situation.
, I have two lists of references, and advise the OP to do the same.

List 1: A few ex colleagues, especially if they worked with you at your PRESENT job. I provide this up front, and tell them they can call them anytime they want.

List 2: Present company references: I tell them when submitting list 1, this will include management and execs from many different departments, but they will not get this list without an offer that I am poised to accept.

And yes, do interviews after hours, at lunch, etc. If you have bluetooth in your car, schedule a lunch interview or take a early/late one if they need a different time, and use your car's bluetooth capability if you have that. Use Skype for later interviews, etc.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:46 PM

548 posts, read 1,216,873 times
I think you're worrying too much. Taking a Friday off here and there shouldn't raise too many eyebrows. If you only take the time off to interview at good prospects, hopefully you'll get a job soon and won't have to worry about your current employer getting suspicious. I certainly wouldn't tell your current employer BTW. Also, the reference thing is just something you have to deal with -- you have to give old references, and your prospective employers will understand that.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:14 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,447,714 times
The timing is the hardest part. I've done this many times however. Here are some tips.

1. Start applying now. You might be able to set a start date closer to May, but you may just have to move early. Your apt may let you out of your lease or sublet, or you'll just have to pony up the rent. Not ideal, I know, but timing is very rarely perfect.

2. Use your old references, it's no big deal. I had to use a reference from 4 years ago that I didn't stay in contact with at all since it directly related to a job I was applying for. Make sure you email the reference first to confirm you can list them for your app. This will give them the heads up and time to jog their memory about you.

3. Employers know that if you are currently working scheduling will take some compromise. I was usually able to schedule phone interviews before/after work or occasionally on lunch. Since you aren't local, you can request to do as much over the phone as possible. When it is time for the face-to-face, schedule for a Friday or Monday if it helps for travel time. If your boss allows last minute PTO, it's best to request it and legitimately have the time off. Last resort is call in sick. I'm sad to say I pulled the 'ill family member' shtick once to get last minute time off, but at least that way I was able to let me boss know I wouldn't be there and plan for someone to cover for me. If you are from out of town, they MAY be able to get all of your onsite interviews done in one day. I had an interview in FL while living in MN and since I found time to come down (on my own dime) they planned all 4 interviews for 1 day so I wouldn't have to come back.

It can be done. It's not always pretty and it's definitely stressful. Plan to make compromises (i.e leaving your lease early to accept the job).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search