Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 04:04 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,069,210 times

Advertisements

I finally got a job, I don't care that it's a 1-year contract, it's a job! They won't know until 6-9 months through the contract if they will make it perm. Honestly, I'm just going in assuming they won't. They have a specific project that needs to be completed and once it's done, the amount of work would justify the position going perm.

How does this work with temp agencies? Am I committed to the 1-year contract job, meaning, I can't leave (I really need to find my paperwork), or am I at-will like any other job? Meaning, the temp agency or contract can fire me at any time also? Hmm...really need to do some research.

I've never worked for a temp agency, and have been reading some threads about how horrible they can be, so now I'm just worried.

My problem is, I'm in the middle of interviews with another company. I had called them to find out what they thought of me, so I could make a decision (take the temp job or not). But they changed it up and are adding in a third round of interviews (versus the two they initially told me). If I move on, do I go? Should I go? It'd be a permanent job.

Ugh. I really hate these kind of choices. I took the temp job, first and foremost because it is my first offer in 5 months of searching. Secondly, I have to admit, I was a bit flattered that the woman interviewed one other person, the same day I inteviewed, called up the temp agency, cancelled all her other interviews for the week and told them she wanted me (can we say ego boost?). And thirdly, this job would involve some great new things to add onto my resume.

So for these types of jobs, do people tend to keep interviewing for permanent jobs? Stick to the contract, then if they're not going to get hired on, then start looking for another job, but finish up the contract?

Thanks for any input. I know I should do some research, but I'm going to bed instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 06:57 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,424,666 times
Heck no! people leave temp/contract jobs all the time and some don't even give notice. I gave a standard 2 week notice and left when I found a better job. The temp agency can put you on their company black list but as long as you give notice they shouldn't. However, some are petty and many of the people running them are not really up and up. That is the worst they can do to you.

You are not a slave nor indentured servant you are an at-will employee and you can quit or they can fire you at any time and neither side has legal standing to prevent that. That is the nature of employment in the USA however even more so for temp. As far as I am concerned temp/contract means you have even less obligations to the employer as they aren't even committed to you. That is one thing that discourages use of temps the temps are often always looking for a perm job and will quit as soon as they get one.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:33 AM

615 posts, read 1,382,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I finally got a job, I don't care that it's a 1-year contract, it's a job! They won't know until 6-9 months through the contract if they will make it perm. Honestly, I'm just going in assuming they won't. They have a specific project that needs to be completed and once it's done, the amount of work would justify the position going perm.

How does this work with temp agencies? Am I committed to the 1-year contract job, meaning, I can't leave (I really need to find my paperwork), or am I at-will like any other job? Meaning, the temp agency or contract can fire me at any time also? Hmm...really need to do some research.

I've never worked for a temp agency, and have been reading some threads about how horrible they can be, so now I'm just worried.

My problem is, I'm in the middle of interviews with another company. I had called them to find out what they thought of me, so I could make a decision (take the temp job or not). But they changed it up and are adding in a third round of interviews (versus the two they initially told me). If I move on, do I go? Should I go? It'd be a permanent job.

Ugh. I really hate these kind of choices. I took the temp job, first and foremost because it is my first offer in 5 months of searching. Secondly, I have to admit, I was a bit flattered that the woman interviewed one other person, the same day I inteviewed, called up the temp agency, cancelled all her other interviews for the week and told them she wanted me (can we say ego boost?). And thirdly, this job would involve some great new things to add onto my resume.

So for these types of jobs, do people tend to keep interviewing for permanent jobs? Stick to the contract, then if they're not going to get hired on, then start looking for another job, but finish up the contract?

Thanks for any input. I know I should do some research, but I'm going to bed instead.
Are you from The OC? Why don't you just start drawing from your trust fund?

Old 12-13-2013, 08:46 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,042,698 times
I think the term contract might be confusing you.

In a nutshell, a contract specifies salary for X amount of time. In your case, one year. You can still be terminated for any number if reasons, and you can quit. But while you are working in the time frame covered by the contract, you will be paid X.

Sometimes a contract specifies a funding source or project. When the money runs out or the project us done, your job is over. That doesn't mean that they won't hire you under a new contract or for a new project.

I would treat this as any other job for now. If something better comes along you should take it. If you stay, you should talk to management as your contract starts to draw to a close and ask them what the future holds.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:23 PM

Thanks for the replies. I think yes, the term contract confused me. I guess I'd best be on my best behavior and hope like heck that I get along with everyone and don't get fired.

I will continue interviewing with that one job. I think I'll see how this contract job goes because I'd really like to get some of that project management stuff under my belt. It'd be a nice addition to my resume.

Again, thanks for the replies. This helps me immensely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post
Are you from The OC? Why don't you just start drawing from your trust fund?
Ever hear of Santa Ana? Who's to say I'm not from the ghetto? You shouldn't believe everything you see on tv. Especially when a show is called The OC.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:59 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,555 posts, read 81,131,933 times
We use temps, and several have left before the assignment was over to accept permanent jobs elsewhere, because they kept looking. We have also let a couple of them go after a week or two of a 6 month assignment because they couldn't handle the work. The contracts were between us and the agency, not the worker.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I think yes, the term contract confused me. I guess I'd best be on my best behavior and hope like heck that I get along with everyone and don't get fired.

I will continue interviewing with that one job. I think I'll see how this contract job goes because I'd really like to get some of that project management stuff under my belt. It'd be a nice addition to my resume.

Again, thanks for the replies. This helps me immensely.

Ever hear of Santa Ana? Who's to say I'm not from the ghetto? You shouldn't believe everything you see on tv. Especially when a show is called The OC.
Well ARE YOU from the ghetto?

What is your family's net worth and their annual income?

Old 12-15-2013, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We use temps, and several have left before the assignment was over to accept permanent jobs elsewhere, because they kept looking. We have also let a couple of them go after a week or two of a 6 month assignment because they couldn't handle the work. The contracts were between us and the agency, not the worker.
Good point for me to remember. I hope this will pan out, I really would love to do this project and gain experience as a project manager.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post
Well ARE YOU from the ghetto?

What is your family's net worth and their annual income?
This isn't even worth my keystroke time and I type over 80wpm.
I'm not from "The OC" and my "family's" money isn't mine, so my net worth is zero.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Good point for me to remember. I hope this will pan out, I really would love to do this project and gain experience as a project manager.
Working a temp job does NOT make you a project manager, it makes you a TEMP. No, NOT a temp project manager either, just a regular TEMP that does low paying clerical work.

Quote:
This isn't even worth my keystroke time and I type over 80wpm.
I'm not from "The OC" and my "family's" money isn't mine, so my net worth is zero.
1.) Where are you actually from then?

2.) I didn't ask you what your net worth was, I asked you what your family's net worth was.

3.) Judging by how you are evading the question, I'm guessing that they are very well off?

4.) Do you have a huge sense of entitlement? Do you think that you DESERVE everything good? Is every mistake you make "Not your fault!"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search